Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1st Move International

1st Move International

Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1st Move International

Thanks Wibblypig. GB Liners said they don't come to where i live! So far we are most impressed with Doree Bonner who came and did thorough visit of what we want to take, but it's £5200 for 20ft, i will see if i can haggle! 1st move are cheaper but going by this forum i will not use them!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:04 am
Lump Of Coal

GetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really nice

Originally Posted by jukes
Thanks Wibblypig. GB Liners said they don't come to where i live! So far we are most impressed with Doree Bonner who came and did thorough visit of what we want to take, but it's £5200 for 20ft, i will see if i can haggle! 1st move are cheaper but going by this forum i will not use them!
Why not 1st move? What did I miss?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GetOutOfBlighty
Why not 1st move? What did I miss?
Too many people saying how they charge lots more than originally quoted, i would hate for this to happen!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:42 am
Lump Of Coal

GetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really nice

Originally Posted by jukes
Too many people saying how they charge lots more than originally quoted, i would hate for this to happen!
Ah ok, I think we're a more straighforward type of move (i.e. no furniture etc as we're renting our flat furnished) so we're only taking documents, books, clothes etc... So I think we can fit it all on one pallet.

Fingers crossed we get a furnished apartment/serviced place for the first 6 - 8 weeks like our employer says otherwise we're gonna be skint buying all the furniture etc!!!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

mrsyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

We weren't moving furniture either, just the things you listed. Even when we worked out the cubic amount of our move it was still LOTS less than they were trying to charge us. My advice would be: try to do as little on the phone as possible, get it all in writing using email as much as you can. This may result in you being online for ages (5 hours straight in my case towards the end of my trouble with 1st move), but at least you have it all there in black and white. The guy that gave me the quote wasn't the one I ended up dealing with so I couldn't say "but your colleague said. . . . I was told. . . . that wasn't agreed . . .". Get it all in writing.