Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1950s Attitudes

1950s Attitudes

Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1950s Attitudes

Originally Posted by Anian
Seen it myself. One woman goes on about how her only child was a blessing from God, how there was almost zero chance of being able to conceive. But he is in childcare all the time that he isn't in private school. Even on vacation they stick him in the kids club and don't see him all day. Then she'll whine about how her doctor tells her to quit her job because the stress is killing her but she can't quit because she needs to earn more money. How about cutting out the private school and cruises? Spend some time with your miracle child (who is quite clearly gay, even though he is only six).
I was with you until this part. WTF does that have to do with anything? Talk about off topic....
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I was with you until this part. WTF does that have to do with anything? Talk about off topic....
I cut out some of the backstory, which was a bit longwinded, so I can see how that comes out of the blue! Probably suffice to say that the mother is pretty religious and is aiming for grandchildren, the father just rolls with it.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to be a hair splitting pedant here, but isn't "If you don't like it here, go home" in itself a rather 1950s attitude?

Especially since dlake only expressed an opinion on an observation. An observation which, except the women working part as that is a rather large variable, is pretty valid.
THANK YOU !!!! What I originally said was that there were two things that SURPRISED me about the Bay Area given that, from the outside, it is a very modern, go-ahead, stereotype busting area:

1) That there is even a debate about parents (note PARENTS, not Mums....) working. In THE PART OF THE UK I AM FROM (again, not talking for all of the UK, just what I know), that debate/ship probably sailed years ago (mid-80s, I think) and whether Mum, Dad, both, neither work full/part time is not really a debating issue any more, supported by government policies in the face of a decreasing birth rate. To have people come up to us and say (and yes this has happened four times) "It's a shame you have to work and can't be at home full time" is just SO 1950 and patronising !!!!! I EXPECT it in the Deep South, Texas, Utah, mid-west, etc. But in Silicon Valley in 2012 ?????

2) Religion. That shipped DID sail in Europe in about 1950 and is to the point where less that 4% of the population even CARE about religion, let alone practice it in the UK. And again, I am not surprised that ill-informed and ill-educated (in my opinion) views persist in some areas of the US, but again, IN SILICON VALLEY in 2012 ???

It is the dichotomy of outward modernity and deep-seated traditional debates and views in Silicon Valley that was of interest to me, and whether what I was seeing should surprise me or was atypical.

Is it not possible to discuss and debate ANYTHING here without getting the "WE do it like THIS" thrown back ???? I thought America was built on challenging norms ?

As to heading back to the UK - well, my role in my job in a multi-national is to try to bring a wider-world view to our strategy office which is located here. There is a concern in several quarters that much technology strategy is being determined by 1/22 of the global population and having non-USCs involved would help diversify thought and improve relevance. Unfortunately, many of the ~330,000,000/6,600,000,000 seem to be unaware that the other 6,270,000,000 even exist which makes the job rather difficult but I see it as crucial to the area of technology I work in that we have a world, not a single country, view.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I worked at Harvard for five years when we moved here in 1991. At my going away party from that job, my colleagues gave me a mixed box of Little Debbies because I always brought one in in my lunchbox... lasted me a couple of years at my new job, they did. Fortunately you can ignore the "use by" date on those things, they stay "fresh" for ever...

I didn't realise they were from Massachusetts!
http://www.tabletalkpie.com/home.htm

I was talking about those mini Table Talk ones

The cherry is the best, though apple isn't to bad...for a buck or so a pie, not bad
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02

It is the dichotomy of outward modernity and deep-seated traditional debates and views in Silicon Valley that was of interest to me, and whether what I was seeing should surprise me or was atypical.
I had the same thoughts about MA...gay marriage, universal healthcare, lot of high tech/research and top uni's....I didn't expect this place to be quite so conservative under the surface and that's a slight understatement, considering the image is of a very liberal state.

Maine, which seems far more liberal in comparison for many things and that's a pretty conservative state.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.tabletalkpie.com/home.htm

I was talking about those mini Table Talk ones

The cherry is the best, though apple isn't to bad...for a buck or so a pie, not bad
Agreed, the cherry is very good. Is it made of cherries, though?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I had the same thoughts about MA...gay marriage, universal healthcare, lot of high tech/research and top uni's....I didn't expect this place to be quite so conservative under the surface and that's a slight understatement, considering the image is of a very liberal state.

Maine, which seems far more liberal in comparison for many things and that's a pretty conservative state.
The Catholic Church has a bit of a stranglehold in MA, in my experience. Plenty of Catholic lay people and priests are very progressive in politics and social issues though..
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The Catholic Church has a bit of a stranglehold in MA, in my experience. Plenty of Catholic lay people and priests are very progressive in politics and social issues though..
Come and live here ................ plenty of non progressive priests as I have discovered just by minding my own bloody business.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Come and live here ................ plenty of non progressive priests as I have discovered just by minding my own bloody business.
Hmm.. I'm just in the middle of reading Portrait of a Lady, I was thinking I could live in Italy.. I realise things may have changed since 1880 though..
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:34 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. I'm just in the middle of reading Portrait of a Lady, I was thinking I could live in Italy.. I realise things may have changed since 1880 though..
Just one example ........ not all of them are like this mind, but often one is enough to make you think :

The kids and myself leaving a shop on the very, small main, village street. As we come out I tell my kids in English that Mummy is not buying a lollipop today as they have had enough.

Tap on shoulder from behind and a very, smart, polite and nice voice asks,

" Mi scusi Signora for butting in, but could I just ask what language you are speaking to the lovely kiddies in?"

I turn my head and immediately think to myself "shit! It's the priest" but I limit myself to saying, "English" in an even tone.

Well bloody hell ... his whole body and attitude changed and he spit at me "urggh !!!! Protestants then !!!!!"

My Italian is good enough to get very brassed off by this. I don't care what we are, but you do not presume anything - so I turned around and in perfect Italian I said,

"Excuse me. Don't you dare to presume that every English person is a Protestant - just like not every Italian is a perfect Catholic !"

He had no answer to that and turned on his shiny, black heels and left us alone.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
THANK YOU !!!! What I originally said was that there were two things that SURPRISED me about the Bay Area given that, from the outside, it is a very modern, go-ahead, stereotype busting area:

1)To have people come up to us and say (and yes this has happened four times) "It's a shame you have to work and can't be at home full time" is just SO 1950 and patronising !!!!! I EXPECT it in the Deep South, Texas, Utah, mid-west, etc. But in Silicon Valley in 2012 ?????
I guess I just don't see that comment as unusual at all. I would think many parents would love the ability to stay at home with their kids. Why do you find so offensive? Besides it being an 'old-fashioned' idea to you, what else about non-working parent bothers you?

2) Religion. That shipped DID sail in Europe in about 1950 and is to the point where less that 4% of the population even CARE about religion, let alone practice it in the UK. And again, I am not surprised that ill-informed and ill-educated (in my opinion) views persist in some areas of the US, but again, IN SILICON VALLEY in 2012 ???
Who says that a person has to give up their faith in religion in order to be modern? Being religious and being modern doesn't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive (and that's coming from a non-religious person). I've met plenty of very well-educated people who persist in their religious beliefs. As an engineer, I know quite a few other engineers that continue to have religious beliefs and are quite devout. I can't explain it, but I don't let it bother me. To each their own!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

"Excuse me. Don't you dare to presume that every English person is a Protestant - just like not every Italian is a perfect Catholic !"
I hope you added in a few gesticulations too. I've only been to Italy on holiday but love how expressive everyone's body language is!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I hope you added in a few gesticulations too. I've only been to Italy on holiday but love how expressive everyone's body language is!
Oh yes - lots of body language and finger wiggling and arm waving etc.

It's amazing how quickly you pick all that up. Possibly because it's easier than actual words, and a lot can be said with arms, hands and fingers and head shaking etc.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Just one example ........ not all of them are like this mind, but often one is enough to make you think :

The kids and myself leaving a shop on the very, small main, village street. As we come out I tell my kids in English that Mummy is not buying a lollipop today as they have had enough.

Tap on shoulder from behind and a very, smart, polite and nice voice asks,

" Mi scusi Signora for butting in, but could I just ask what language you are speaking to the lovely kiddies in?"

I turn my head and immediately think to myself "shit! It's the priest" but I limit myself to saying, "English" in an even tone.

Well bloody hell ... his whole body and attitude changed and he spit at me "urggh !!!! Protestants then !!!!!"

My Italian is good enough to get very brassed off by this. I don't care what we are, but you do not presume anything - so I turned around and in perfect Italian I said,

He had no answer to that and turned on his shiny, black heels and left us alone.
Sounds good to me!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I guess I just don't see that comment as unusual at all. I would think many parents would love the ability to stay at home with their kids. Why do you find so offensive? Besides it being an 'old-fashioned' idea to you, what else about non-working parent bothers you?

Who says that a person has to give up their faith in religion in order to be modern? Being religious and being modern doesn't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive (and that's coming from a non-religious person). I've met plenty of very well-educated people who persist in their religious beliefs. As an engineer, I know quite a few other engineers that continue to have religious beliefs and are quite devout. I can't explain it, but I don't let it bother me. To each their own!
I personally wouldn't say tho someone, "t's a shame you have to work and can't be at home full time", I think the tone is rather rude.

I don't think anyone really cares about others' religious beliefs unless one has to hear about it all the time, and most religious people can't seem to resist bringing it up every few sentences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.