Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

£ reaches $2 today

Wikiposts

£ reaches $2 today

Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:43 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £ reaches $2 today

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
shame that they can;t look beyond that at the potential of being 20k in negative equity in 2 years...
Negative equity only becomes relevant if you want to sell up - if you are just moving from house to house (like most people) then it just means you have to move to a slightly smaller house (relatively speaking).
It only really impacts investors, who deserve all they get imo - let's face it no investment generating 15% returns pa is risk free.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:47 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I once bought a Flake for $2.50.

When I go to raid the British food section in Publix now, though, I just grab stuff and don't even look at the costs. They do Devon Custard. Mmmmmmm. Screw it, it's the one thing I can really call mine in the US, I'll go without other food to compensate for the price! It's really funny to see the disclaimer they put on the shelf about the British date being back-to-front, too! Can imagine the screams of horror if they didn't have that.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I once bought a Flake for $2.50.

When I go to raid the British food section in Publix now, though, I just grab stuff and don't even look at the costs. They do Devon Custard. Mmmmmmm. Screw it, it's the one thing I can really call mine in the US, I'll go without other food to compensate for the price! It's really funny to see the disclaimer they put on the shelf about the British date being back-to-front, too! Can imagine the screams of horror if they didn't have that.
I bought a box of 12 Crunchies yesterday for $14.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:01 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I bought a box of 12 Crunchies yesterday for $14.
Witch.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Witch.
I did resist the same deal for Whole Nut, Fruit and Nut, Burnt Almond, Diary Milk and a few others.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:32 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Negative equity only becomes relevant if you want to sell up - if you are just moving from house to house (like most people) then it just means you have to move to a slightly smaller house (relatively speaking).
It only really impacts investors, who deserve all they get imo - let's face it no investment generating 15% returns pa is risk free.
True, but its not a particularly nice feeling to have, and feelings are not often rational...

Investors going for appreciation are gambling, pure and simple IMO....
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:54 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
True, but its not a particularly nice feeling to have
Fair point
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yep...not wise to keep all your eggs in one basket.
Really? Was lucky for me wasn't it?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rushman
Really? Was lucky for me wasn't it?
Sure was.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Superduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It becomes a real issue if you're trying to get a better rate mortgage to move house though. Anyone in -ve equity will have a snowball in hell's chance of getting a good mortgage deal. If you want to have a more bearish view of the UK property market, you could do worse than check out http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk