Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

*ahem*...ok...

Wikiposts

*ahem*...ok...

Old Oct 4th 2003, 7:20 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh aren't you sweet for taking all those pictures, Pimpbot! Thank you so much! Bless you for that. It looks lovely and it really helps me get an idea of the area. I can't believe how cheap the rents are...$490 is about £290. That's nothing! You wouldn't even get a room in a house in a crappy part of London for that! $99 move-in is a dream as I have so much to fork out to move over. I was worried about paying some huge deposit. In London you can expect to pay about £800 just to move in to somewhere. By the way...where are all the people? LOL. Looks like a ghost town! I guess it must be the heat and everyone is inside. I'll PM you with the name of the hospital. Thanx again! It's people like you that make a terrifying prospect a much more manageable experience. I love this board!

Whatever...thanx for the congrats. It looks like I'll end up taking this job as they keep trying to put me off the Georgia job...don't know why. I'll try to interview for it next week if I can and then make my decision. Only 10 days till my embassy interview! Shame about Lahey...but they put me up for tons of places in the NorthEast and nothing came through. I couldn't face the prospect of postponing my embassy interview for the 3rd time. Most important thing is to get the green card...everything else will follow. They say there's a possibility of transferring if I'm unhappy, but to be honest, they were so hopeless at placing me in the first place that I don't believe they would do it. I'm just going to have to deal with it somehow. The boss sounds nice and has said I can arrange my schedule so I can visit Connecticut every month. Any news on your waiver? It's been ages now. Really keeping my fingers crossed for you! You have to be next...I just know it.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Oh aren't you sweet for taking all those pictures, Pimpbot! Thank you so much! Bless you for that. It looks lovely and it really helps me get an idea of the area. I can't believe how cheap the rents are...$490 is about £290. That's nothing! You wouldn't even get a room in a house in a crappy part of London for that! $99 move-in is a dream as I have so much to fork out to move over. I was worried about paying some huge deposit. In London you can expect to pay about £800 just to move in to somewhere. By the way...where are all the people? LOL. Looks like a ghost town! I guess it must be the heat and everyone is inside. I'll PM you with the name of the hospital. Thanx again! It's people like you that make a terrifying prospect a much more manageable experience. I love this board!

Whatever...thanx for the congrats. It looks like I'll end up taking this job as they keep trying to put me off the Georgia job...don't know why. I'll try to interview for it next week if I can and then make my decision. Only 10 days till my embassy interview! Shame about Lahey...but they put me up for tons of places in the NorthEast and nothing came through. I couldn't face the prospect of postponing my embassy interview for the 3rd time. Most important thing is to get the green card...everything else will follow. They say there's a possibility of transferring if I'm unhappy, but to be honest, they were so hopeless at placing me in the first place that I don't believe they would do it. I'm just going to have to deal with it somehow. The boss sounds nice and has said I can arrange my schedule so I can visit Connecticut every month. Any news on your waiver? It's been ages now. Really keeping my fingers crossed for you! You have to be next...I just know it.
I totally go with that - get the card and work everything else out after - once your legal, you can afford to pick and choose a little more. It's GREAT that you will be ready for your interview in time
Are you out there at the moment or here?

Thanks for the positive thoughts on the waiver I'm still up and down with it and everyone on here has been SOOOOOOO lovely and supportive - particularly other fellow 601'ers. I stopped coming on the forum for about a month because it was taking over my life LOL!!! but I stayed in contact with some people on the e-mail. I am hopeful after discovering BB and Doc's outcome, that we will hear something next week.... but don't want to count my chickens. I am not sure if my case will be strong enough as I am filing as a permanent resident where as BB and Doc both had a US National file and I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Looking forward to reading your interview feedback! What day is it on?
Old Oct 5th 2003, 2:27 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Interview is on the 15th of October. Getting nervous and keep envisaging everything going wrong. I am anxious to get it out of the way because it's the one thing giving me nightmares! I'm in the UK at the moment. My girlfriend is actually arriving in London tomorrow because we are organizing our commitment ceremony which is next month. So much to do! We want to do the London Partnership Register so that in the future, if they decide we're a real couple, we can use it for immigration purposes as proof of our relationship should we ever wish to return to London. If she gets refused entry tomorrow for whatever reason, I think I'll just sit down and cry!

I would hope that they would grant your waiver due to the fact it will cause hardship to a permanent resident as it would prevent you from living in the US. I don't know if hardship rules apply to permanent residents, but on a human note it would be an obvious choice. I had noticed you weren't around and I was wondering where you were. I figured you were taking a breather...this place really takes over your life doesn't it? My girlfriend keeps telling me to stay away because I'm getting obsessed! LOL. That's exactly why I can't stay away!
Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Best of luck with organising the ceremony and I'm sure your girl will get in tomorrow
Good luck for the 15th aswell.... only 10 days ago eeeeek........! YOu'll be fine, but it doesn't matter what I say... everyone told me to stay chilled for m interview but I still got turbo butterflys.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 1:15 pm
ScarlettHill

Really brilliant news, Rockgurl. So glad to hear.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Great news Rockgurl...

Will be thinking of you on the 15th........

Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

I have lived in AZ for 5 1/2 years and it is ok. Lived in Philly for 10 before we moved here and loved it. The weather gets old quite quickly. This year it has been over 100 since March, but thankfully it seems to be cooling off a bit now. We are now coming to the end off the monsoon season, 3 months of sand storms, rain, thunder and lightning.

Which hospital will you be working in? Lots of people just say Phoenix when infact it is usually one of the suburbs. I live in Gilbert. I would have thought nursing would be a good number over here. I know they are crying out for trained people and from what I can gather, the nursing profession can more or less name their own wages, they are recruiting all over the world.

AZ is a growing state, as you will find if you move here. Every available spare piece of land is being built on. Beats me where all these people work as industry is practically non-existant here. There are a lot of Defense Contractors, Boeing being one of the biggest and I am sure the service industry is thriving.

Good luck with the move.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
We are now coming to the end off the monsoon season, 3 months of sand storms, rain, thunder and lightning.
That depends on where abouts in AZ you live. Here in our part of Scottsdale, the monsoon season was non existent. We had maybe two days where we had more than a 5 minute rain storm and maybe one severe thunder storm that passed right over the house, all due to the concrete heat island that seems to effect the weather in this part of town. As I think I put in an earlier post, I've been able to watch some pretty fierce storms out of my living room windows all throughout the monsoon period this year and the locals get a little crazy when the rain falls. There was a 70% chance of rain tonight due to tropical storms coming up from Mexico, but we got nothing, except a 5 degree drop in the temp. I agree, the high temps in the summer can get a little tiring. But I'll take dry high temp heat for half the year and nice warm sunny winter days, over rain, snow, hail, damp or high humidity back home. Heck, I was out on the patio tonight grilling on the BBQ in a nice cool 85 degrees
Old Oct 6th 2003, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Where abouts in AZ?

How about a nice desert view to get you in the mood. This was taken this morning while showing my mum around the botanical gardens here in Scottsdale.
You get that colour sky in October ? No wonder we hate ya when we look at slate grey skies over here !

Hope your Mum enjoyed her visit.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pimpbot
That depends on where abouts in AZ you live. Here in our part of Scottsdale, the monsoon season was non existent. We had maybe two days where we had more than a 5 minute rain storm and maybe one severe thunder storm that passed right over the house, all due to the concrete heat island that seems to effect the weather in this part of town. As I think I put in an earlier post, I've been able to watch some pretty fierce storms out of my living room windows all throughout the monsoon period this year and the locals get a little crazy when the rain falls. There was a 70% chance of rain tonight due to tropical storms coming up from Mexico, but we got nothing, except a 5 degree drop in the temp. I agree, the high temps in the summer can get a little tiring. But I'll take dry high temp heat for half the year and nice warm sunny winter days, over rain, snow, hail, damp or high humidity back home. Heck, I was out on the patio tonight grilling on the BBQ in a nice cool 85 degrees
Well it sounds to me like you are on holiday - everyday!!! I'm Green! What a way to live!!!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:13 pm
Rock Goddess

Thankyou Scarlett and Sue. Nice of you to pop in.

Effi, thank you for your input. It's really helpful to hear from people who already live there. I am looking at Glendale as an area to live, as it is quite convenient to the hospital I'll be working at. It's certainly nice to hear that Arizona really needs nurses and I hope that means it will be a great place to work. Not worried about the rain. After all...I'm from London! Looking forward to being able to swim outside and barbeque my dinner every night!

Good news is my girlfriend made it over ok. Immigration barely glanced at her. Phew...got away with it again. Just one more trip to go.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:13 am
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by Rockgurl

......snip....

Good news is my girlfriend made it over ok. Immigration barely glanced at her. Phew...got away with it again. Just one more trip to go.
Just wanted to wish you and your love a wonderful ceremony. Here's to the day when officialdom catches up with sanity and your relationship is properly recognised by ALL parties.

kudos
-=-
Scarlett

Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Go get em on the 15th Rockgurl, best wishes from Mary Ann & Me.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy

Hope your Mum enjoyed her visit.

She sure did. And with fares in november and december for £298 pounds for a direct flight with BA, I'm hoping her or some of my other family members will come out also.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Glendale is cool. Lots of antique shops. Don't get me wrong about the rain, the amount we have had all year can be measured in a fraction of an inch. I know of at least a couple of hospitals that have had to close down due to lack of qualified nurses. Like I said it is a really good number over here, they are crying out for them.

Good luck if you intend to take the job, you will enjoy it here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.