Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

*ahem*...ok...

Wikiposts

*ahem*...ok...

Old Oct 4th 2003, 2:23 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Wow $70000 !! That will go some way to making conditions better.
My wife is also in Intensive care , well pediatric intensive care really. Same stuff just smaller bodies. But they only make in the low 40s here in Tallahassee.

I assume the cost of living must be higher in a big city like Phoenix.

Isn't the hospital helping you out with accomodation ect? Maybe they know of a fellow nurse with a room to rent.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 3:09 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

My agency will help me find somewhere to live...I just have to tell them what I want. There's no point getting a whole apartment on my own as I'll either be working, in the gym or in Connecticut! It would be nice to share with someone anyway, so I have someone to ask where I can get chocolate at 3 am!
Old Oct 4th 2003, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Wow, Pimpbot...love the pictures! Are you serious about the heat? Damn! I just bought me a new North Face jacket. I suppose I better leave it in Connecticut now! Bums! I love the cactus...I've never seen ones that big in real life before. Is it hot there all through winter? The job is in Phoenix. I have no idea what that's like so any tips would be appreciated. Is it a busy city? Is it a big place? If I work in Phoenix where should I be looking to live, or is it just too huge to say?
Yep, I'm serious about the heat. When I landed in july, it was 117!. Yesterday maxed out at 96, but it felt real good as we had a slight breeze which really cooled us off. We have just had the hottest september on record, with temps about 10 to 15 degrees hotter than the norm. Most of last week, it was hitting 105 with a low of around 80. The expected temps for next week are low to mid 90s with 70 being the morning low. From late november through to late febuary we can expect the temps at night to drop into the low 40s, but its still a comfortable 65 to 70 during the day. Infact I remember being here last december when we hit low 90s. July through to early september is the monsoon season, but we barely saw any rain where we are in Scottsdale. The heat island here seems to push all the storms around us, but we get to see some cool lightning storms over the mountains.

I believe Phoenix is the 6th largest city in America, but I am sure someone can correct me if thats wrong. We live in Scottsdale and we are around 15 minutes away from downtown Phoenix, but if I go to the end of our street, I can see Phoenix in the distance. I dont know that much about Phoenix itself, as I only go downtown when I have tickets for the baseball, basketball or hockey games. The only place I'd avoid though is south Phoenix. But Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale, Fountain hills all have great areas to live that are just a short drive to Phoenix. Here in scottsdale, which is considered a snooty area, you can rent 1 bedroom apartments from $550 a month and I believe an apartment complex just down the road from us was advertising studios from $450. If you need any more info, I'll try to help, but I can always ask my wife for a more informed point of view.

Last edited by Pimpbot; Oct 4th 2003 at 5:36 am.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

another taster to wet your appetite. This is the view from across the road looking at Camelback mountain.
Attached Thumbnails *ahem*...ok...-sun1.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2003, 6:10 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Thanx Pimpbot...what a great view. It looks so clean! (Compared to the North Circular anyway!). I am very interested in those apartment complexes. I was planning on spending $500 on a room so if I can get a studio for that I'd be happy, particularly if they have an on-site gym and pool! Any chance you remember the name of the place so I can get my agency to call them? I appreciate your input. It's always best to get recommendations from someone who knows, especially as I've never been there. I have this recurrent nightmare of going somewhere and realizing that crack dealers live downstairs and my next door neighbour is a pimp! :scared:

Thanx again and keep those pictures coming!
Old Oct 4th 2003, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

There are a lot of apartment complexes on Thomas road right near us. Just about all of them have some kind of "move in special" sign or their rental rates posted on big banners outside. If when I go past them next, they have a number to call, I'll write it down and PM it to you or see if I can get an address.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 6:18 am
Rock Goddess

You're a star!
Old Oct 4th 2003, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

This is Thomas road by the way, or at least part of it as it stretches all the way into downtown Phoenix(the bus runs downtown also I've been told)
Attached Thumbnails *ahem*...ok...-az2.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2003, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Also Thomas road at the Arizona country club. Both these last two pictures were taken back in febuary. Check out that weather!!
Attached Thumbnails *ahem*...ok...-az1.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Rockgurl, I just walked over to the grocery store and took these pics of an apartment complex on Thomas road that was offering $99 dollar move in and studios starting at $490 a month and 1 bedrooms at $550 a month all utilities included. They have a pool, but I am not sure about a gym?. Also, PM me with the name of the hospital, so I can speak to my wife about where would be a good area for you to be living in as far as hassle to get to work and such.
Attached Thumbnails *ahem*...ok...-apartments.jpg  

Last edited by Pimpbot; Oct 4th 2003 at 8:46 am.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pic2
Attached Thumbnails *ahem*...ok...-apartments1.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pic3
Attached Thumbnails *ahem*...ok...-apartments2.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pic4 you can just see the pool through the hall way
Attached Thumbnails *ahem*...ok...-apartments3.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pic 5
Attached Thumbnails *ahem*...ok...-apartments4.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2003, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: *ahem*...ok...

Hey Girl - Congrats are in order!!!! Can you take the Arizona job and then maybe look to transfer after a while???
I guess Lahey wasn't an option for your agency... such a shame they couldn't place you closer to Connecticut.
The pics that Pimbot added were great though!

Pimpbot - I think that's so sweet that you ran about getting shots for Rockgirl! What a luvver!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.