Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

****u.s. Citizens Need Only To Apply***

****u.s. Citizens Need Only To Apply***

Old May 14th 2004, 10:56 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default ****u.s. Citizens Need Only To Apply***

This sort of job add really pisses me off!

Web Designer

COMPANY: adtec IT
SKILLS REQUIRED: Photoshop, Graphic Creation, HTML
RATE: neg
AREA: 608
LENGTH: 3-4 months
TERM: CON_CORP CON_IND CON_W2
SUMMARY: ****U.S. CITIZENS NEED ONLY TO APPLY***

adtec IT's client in Madison has a need for a Web designer - immediately.

This assignment is expected to last approximately three to four months and will begin ASAP.

The following lists some of the qualities and factors that will be considered in selecting the most appropriate people:

* Expertise in Web site design, production and development
* Strong understanding and experience in addressing usability
* Experience in the development of navigation schemes
* Strong understanding and experience in compliance with WAI
Accessibility standards and DoJ Section 508 requirements
* Proficiency in Photoshop, vector-based graphic creation, and
HTML
* Ability to work both independently and as a part of a
cross-functional team
* Strong communication skills
* Exemplary portfolio of Web site designs
* Experience in the Health Insurance Industr y considered a plus

adtec looks forward to evaluating the resumes and profiles that you submit to meet this request. All submissions should be accompanied by example URL's of Web design work. Please forward all profiles/resumes/URL's to the attention of:

Joanne Benkowski
adtec IT
225 S. Exe utive Drive, #203
Brookfield, WI 53005
800-821-2180
Fax 262-821-3466
[email protected]
Isn't it illegal to advertise jobs in this way? Surely legal immigrants, and greencard holders are allowed to apply for every job, apart from maybe being the president?

James
Old May 14th 2004, 11:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ****u.s. Citizens Need Only To Apply***

Originally posted by mcjimbo
.... Isn't it illegal to advertise jobs in this way? Surely legal immigrants, and greencard holders are allowed to apply for every job, apart from maybe being the president?
It is, green card holders are given equal rights under the law. I'm not sure who you should complain to though. Maybe someone in your state's employment department? .... There are however jobs in the areas of weapons and aircraft design and production, that are legitimately restricted to US citizens; but that doesn't look likely in this case.

In the first instance I'd apply for the job, and wait until asked about my immigration status before worrying about it, at least then you'd know that there is actual, not just potential, prejudice against you.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 14th 2004 at 11:47 am.
Old May 14th 2004, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I have come across this also and sometimes it mean citizens and residnet aliens. I think they put this stipulation becausen they do not want to have illegals applying or people who are resident in this country but are not leagally allowed to work here apply so they are not burdened with having to apply for a work visa. I think that this is especially true in this case seeing as its a temp job.
Old May 14th 2004, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It does look like an illegal advertisment, but there is a slim chance that it isn't. It does say that experience in the health insurance industry is a plus, which I take it the job is within that industry. I work in health insurance and I know there are so many new rules and regulations regarding what you can and can't do, it may be that you do need to be a citizen for this job, but it is unlikely. Searching for HIPPA should clear anything up, trouble is, its not a short act!
Old May 14th 2004, 12:36 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

I just think it sounds like they are discriminating. I currently work in e-recruitment in the UK, and with positions like these we should simply state something like "Valid Work Permit Required". Not "UK Citizens Only!".... anyway i was a little cheesed off with that, as if uprooting ones life isn't hard enough without facing discrimination when we are looking for jobs!
Old May 14th 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I just think it sounds like they are discriminating. I currently work in e-recruitment in the UK, and with positions like these we should simply state something like "Valid Work Permit Required". Not "UK Citizens Only!".... anyway i was a little cheesed off with that, as if uprooting ones life isn't hard enough without facing discrimination when we are looking for jobs!
One thing I will add is that a lot of employers do not understand what a working permit is all about, they tend to understand H1B visa, green card holder or US citizen.
Old May 14th 2004, 4:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

They probably don't know about othe valid work permits. I mean, they don't seem to know the difference between "US Citizens Need Only Apply" and "US Citizens Only Need Apply."
Old May 14th 2004, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Hi,

Some of the prospective employers and HR people my husband has come in contact with do not know what an EAD is. As mentioned above they only know the work visa, and the green card, and of course being a US citizen.
We once tried to explain the EAD card to someone calling him for an interview, but she still didn't get it. Since he didn't have a green card at the time they refused to interview him because they didn't want to have any legal issues.
HR people and employers in general should become more informed but when and if it will happen...who knows.

Anyway, congrats on your visa interview date... I noticed it on the Marriage based forum

Cheers,

Kat
Old May 14th 2004, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by katnap8
...HR people...should become more informed...
I fully agree. You'd think one of the minimum requirements of being an HR person would be to know the answer to the most basic employment question of all: who is eligible to work.
Old May 15th 2004, 3:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
I fully agree. You'd think one of the minimum requirements of being an HR person would be to know the answer to the most basic employment question of all: who is eligible to work.
That assumes that HR staff are an intelligent life form - which in my experience is often not the case. Many seem to have the ambition and intellect of pondweed, and have landed in HR because they are fit for nothing else, unable to produce or perform in any more useful capacity.

A good HR person is worth their weight in gold, but as rare as hen's teeth.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 15th 2004 at 4:23 am.
Old May 15th 2004, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
That assumes that HR staff are an intelligent life form - which in my experience is often not the case. Many seem to have the ambition and intellect of pondweed, and have landed in HR because they are fit for nothing else, unable to produce or perform in any productive capacity.

A good HR person is worth their weight in gold, but as rare as hens teeth.
I cannot believe this but you are so so so true.
Old May 15th 2004, 4:20 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

This sort of job add really pisses me off!

Isn't it illegal to advertise jobs in this way? Surely legal immigrants, and greencard holders are allowed to apply for every job, apart from maybe being the president?

James
I emailed them to see what aspect of the work required US citizenship as opposed to a simple work permit. I don't expect a reply but if I get one I'll post it here.

Sam.
Old May 15th 2004, 6:15 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Polaris_x
You can always result to picking our produce like those from "Meh-heee-ho".

Just kidding. I think the add is misleading. They'd have to give you an equal opportunity (wink) regardless of you being a USC. If you're legal to work, you're legal to work, aside from in some sensitive government jobs.
Sometimes being a green card holder "cuts it", as an alternative to being a USC, but not a work permit.

Such was the case for my job. They would accept a GC holder or USC but not any other form of employment authorization.
Old May 15th 2004, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by lairdside
Sometimes being a green card holder "cuts it", as an alternative to being a USC, but not a work permit.

Such was the case for my job. They would accept a GC holder or USC but not any other form of employment authorization.
Assuming that your job is not in a special category, it was illegally restricted then.
Old May 15th 2004, 12:53 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
Assuming that your job is not in a special category, it was illegally restricted then.
It wasn't illegally restricted, I work for the USPS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.