British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   $75 dollars for a Green Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/%2475-dollars-green-card-313932/)

Pimpbot Jul 14th 2005 6:18 pm

$75 dollars for a Green Card

Thats the going rate for a very good fake I was told by someone in the know this morning. Arizona is trying to cut down on the fakes circulating by targeting the makers of the fakes. Good luck!.

ImHere Jul 14th 2005 6:22 pm

Re: $75 dollars for a Green Card

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Thats the going rate for a very good fake I was told by someone in the know this morning. Arizona is trying to cut down on the fakes circulating by targeting the makers of the fakes. Good luck!.

Well, looking at mine (real one before anyone tries to be funny :rolleyes: ) they'd have to be bloody good fakers with some pretty hitech kit to make a convincing one.

Pimpbot Jul 14th 2005 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere
Well, looking at mine (real one before anyone tries to be funny :rolleyes: ) they'd have to be bloody good fakers with some pretty hitech kit to make a convincing one.

I was told that they have all the right markings and look like the real thing. I even showed them the back of mine with the silver strip and they assured me it was the same.

tony126 Jul 14th 2005 7:27 pm

I was told that they have all the right markings and look like the real thing. I even showed them the back of mine with the silver strip and they assured me it was the same.

But would it stand the test of an infra-red light/torch?

snowbunny Jul 14th 2005 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
But would it stand the test of an infra-red light/torch?

How many *employers* are going to put it to such a test? They are not required to.

ImHere Jul 14th 2005 7:33 pm

How the hell do they get all the holograms on it?

sibsie Jul 14th 2005 7:36 pm

Many years ago my brother lived in NYC. He was legal, hated it here and had no intention of staying but he was offered GC's all the time. The going rate then was about $500. Amazing how much it's been devalued over the years. :cool:

Rete Jul 14th 2005 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
Many years ago my brother lived in NYC. He was legal, hated it here and had no intention of staying but he was offered GC's all the time. The going rate then was about $500. Amazing how much it's been devalued over the years. :cool:

He's talking Arizona --- you're talking NYC

Two years ago I believe the going rate in DC was over $500 according to one poster who got caught at the Can/Am border with it. Can even buy the social security card.

sibsie Jul 14th 2005 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
He's talking Arizona --- you're talking NYC

Well yes I understood that part Rete. :rolleyes:

ironporer Jul 15th 2005 1:25 pm

According to some Mexicans that I know, the going rate in Mexico is $100 for social security cards, $300 for a state drivers liscense and $500 for a (new style) green card. There are also some crappy fakes available for less, that might fool some people but not many.

A premium package is also available, usually from a former legal immigrant who has returned to Mexico or has 'lost' his wallet- where in you get his/her actual greencard, a valid SS number and liscense. Of course you have to look similar to the person. This costs $2-3000, and is the best was, as most employers check the social security number to validate it and the name if the person applying. Fake SS cards don't.

Lynne Jul 16th 2005 12:21 am

I have to agree with you there. The old pink green cards looked pretty easy to forge but I recently renewed mine and boy has it got boats loads of stuff on it. I just can't see anyone trying to forge them. A lot of work has gone into redesigning it. I guess now its a Magnolia card or beige card. :)

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 16th 2005 4:42 am

They bust a ring in Denver:

http://www.9news.com/9slideshows/Dick%20Lamm's%20fake%20IDs/Default.aspx?N=1

ImHere Jul 16th 2005 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
They bust a ring in Denver:

http://www.9news.com/9slideshows/Dick%20Lamm's%20fake%20IDs/Default.aspx?N=1

Hmm I cant see too many immigrations officers being fooled by those

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 16th 2005 3:30 pm

Hmm I cant see too many immigrations officers being fooled by those

There was some other post, can not remeber when/where but also asked how they would fool an Immigration Officer, I assumed that they were never meant to, all to do with getting work when the checks are rudimentary to say the least.

CaliforniaBride Jul 19th 2005 1:54 am

Where's consumer6billion when you want him. Reckon he got one of those duds?