Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$2.10 and counting

$2.10 and counting

Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:41 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default $2.10 and counting

Boy, the housing market has tanked here in GA and Florida. Thank God I'm not planning on selling soon. Almost NOTHING is selling.

What pxsses me off the most is so much of the news of the GROWTH of the CONSUMER spending economy was obviously then and now proven, a bunch of lies. All of the consumer spending over the last 5 years has been from borrowing against property that gets revalued every 12 months. Now everyone wonders why the consumer is in DEBT. They were ALWAYS in DEBT!!

Been here before, twice in the UK and it will recover. The only problem I see here is a perfect storm to an unavoidable recession - IMHO. Sorry ladies and gents to be the deliverer of bad news, but hang on to your belts. You ain't seen 'nothing' yet. IMHO.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:03 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $2.10 and counting

It pretty much puts a ball and chain on anyone who might think about moving back to the UK anytime in the future. I bought a house here in 2003 when the rate was $1.63. $163,000 house cost exactly 100 grand in pounds. If I were to sell it today (yeah.. right) and convert the money back, I've lost £23,000 on the exchange alone.

Looks like we are staying put for the foreseeable.

alex
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I knew we were f***** when I started meeting people who re-mortgaged their homes to buy expensive cars and now are having their utilities turned off because they can't pay them.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Boy, the housing market has tanked here in GA and Florida. Thank God I'm not planning on selling soon. Almost NOTHING is selling.

What pxsses me off the most is so much of the news of the GROWTH of the CONSUMER spending economy was obviously then and now proven, a bunch of lies. All of the consumer spending over the last 5 years has been from borrowing against property that gets revalued every 12 months. Now everyone wonders why the consumer is in DEBT. They were ALWAYS in DEBT!!

Been here before, twice in the UK and it will recover. The only problem I see here is a perfect storm to an unavoidable recession - IMHO. Sorry ladies and gents to be the deliverer of bad news, but hang on to your belts. You ain't seen 'nothing' yet. IMHO.
I think you are not wrong......
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:52 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I knew we were f***** when I started meeting people who re-mortgaged their homes to buy expensive cars and now are having their utilities turned off because they can't pay them.
WHAT? I thought the whole point of owning a home is so you can buy a BMW convertible with the equity?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:50 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

It is just ridiculous isn't it?

CitiCorp? Merril Lynch......I think we're in for a very rough ride.

In a few months, you'll be able to pick up property in FL for little.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Werrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the rough

It's good news for me - we'll be in the market for our first house in the US in a few months. One of the reasons we left Britain was the artificially inflated housing market.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:12 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Werrf
It's good news for me - we'll be in the market for our first house in the US in a few months. One of the reasons we left Britain was the artificially inflated housing market.
And you don't think it is the same here?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
And you don't think it is the same here?
Yeh, seems like a classic case of out of the frying pan into the fire!! Admittedly he will get a lot more house for his money in Phili, but he's probably going to be buying a depreciating asset in both £ and $ terms, particularly the former. With the Chinese now suggesting that they will move money into "stronger" currencies, I see only one direction for the dollar at this point.

But if you don't want to move back to the UK at any point, and you're willing to own through what I suspect is going to be a very protracted housing bust in the US, I guess you can argue that it may not matter.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Werrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the rough

It'll be Ohio, once I finish my training in Philly. Since we moved from the south-east (where my parents 3 bedroom semi is currently valued at over 350K), at least over here there's a slight chance we can actually buy something - rather than living with parents forever. Yes, it's likely to be a protracted housing bust...but it won't last forever. We hope
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: $2.10 and counting

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
. With the Chinese now suggesting that they will move money into "stronger" currencies, I see only one direction for the dollar at this point.

I see what you mean:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

and house prices are falling in the UK as well as the US:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...EWS&ICL=TOPART

I know a few people who are returning to their home countries in the near future. They all intend to leave their house sale money in the US and rent until the exchange rate becomes more favourable and then will move the funds across.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I know a few people who are returning to their home countries in the near future. They all intend to leave their house sale money in the US and rent until the exchange rate becomes more favourable and then will move the funds across.
They could have a long wait!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad for those of us who draw our AOP. Mind you it could go the other way ...............................sometime. $2.10464 at the present time.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:44 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s

bollocks, bloody goddamn exchange rate if I reckoned up the amount of money we've lost over the months I'd cry....
Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
It is just ridiculous isn't it?

CitiCorp? Merril Lynch......I think we're in for a very rough ride.

In a few months, you'll be able to pick up property in FL for little.
wouldn't be surprised if M.L goes under and CitiCorp will probably get broken up, TDBank North and BoA are looking to sniff parts of it, but we'll see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.