Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$100k salary - family of 5 in Boston

$100k salary - family of 5 in Boston

Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $100k salary - family of 5 in Boston

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
However, new cars are generally cheaper than in Europe. Used cars in general aren't and if they're older they're often in much worse shape.
The condition of used cars in the US varies a lot depending on where you are and the kind of weather and road conditions that the vehicles have to deal with.

A 10 year old car in California is likely to be in much better shape than one in Boston.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The condition of used cars in the US varies a lot depending on where you are and the kind of weather and road conditions that the vehicles have to deal with.

A 10 year old car in California is likely to be in much better shape than one in Boston.
So true...they get smacked to shit in Boston and the roads are terrible, my last set of tyres didn't even last 15K...which was expensive :/
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
a) I would argue that the average mpg across vehicles in the US is lower than it is in the UK when you compare like for like because of the plethora of SUVs and Pickup trucks that do between 10-16mpg (US).

b) However nobody stops you from buying a European-sized car and get comparable mileage to what you got in the UK.
a) That's a confusing statement. It's exactly because of the plethora of SUVs and trucks that you aren't comparing like for like when you take an average MPG of the vehicles in the two countries.

b) ... which is what I actually said.

Sorry Tim, not sure whether you are agreeing with me or not ....
Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Heck, I tend to have problems agreeing with myself at times...