Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Old Dec 30th 2009, 2:05 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Originally Posted by RhiTom
Hi All, I thought it would be useful for any other applicants to know the outcome of this situation for my boyfriend and I. My original post was late September when we were both looking to move here ASAP, hopefull that this would be soon - although seen by many as 'deluded'. We have now both had H1B visas approved and start work January, so excited! We originally filed applications through our US attorney at the start of December so visas took 3 weeks for the petition to be approved and appoitment set at the us embassy. We are already here in the US and can't wait to start work. To any other hopefuls it is possible, we did it!! Thanks to all.
Congratulations! I have read this thread with interest and glad to know it all worked out well and so easily for you.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

RhiTom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tonrob
Congratulations!!!

I hope now that you are in teaching your reading ability improves. Only one person mentioned the word 'deluded', but you were doing a great job at giving that impression simply by not showing any evidence at all in your posts that you had read more than 50% of the information that had been given. You did indicate that you were skim reading posts from work whilst you were tired, but considering that a number of people were giving of their own time - for free - to help you it's a little bit arrogant on your part that you chose not to show them the respect of actually reading what was written.

The impression that people got was the one that you gave. That's your responsibility, not theirs.
Hi all,

This will be my last comment on this thread, I have only returned to inform other applicants reading it that much of the information and opinions given were false and needlessly negative.

It was not at all helpful to be told I was being deluded and that my dreams 'needed to be crushed'. I don't know what experience these commenters had but it differed massively from our experience. Having seen my BFs mother go through the H1B visa application process it was clear from the outset that much of the advice was either misinformed or given having misunderstood our situation.

Considering this site is called britishexpats.com it is amazing that so many commenters felt the need to belittle our efforts and question whether we should even attempt to come to the US. We came to this site because we felt that it would be a good place to find information and insights into the rarely mentioned intricacies of the process (i.e. the 'interview' being a non-step and that different job sectors have different visa prospects).

You say that its people's time being given for free, I find it amazing that you have so much time on your hands that you can give your 'free' time to call us arrogant! Have you nothing better to do? Yours is a perfect example of the kind of comment that is completely unnecessary and a waste of your time and ours. It seems many commenters needed to read our original post more carefully as we clearly stated that our application was nothing to do with my BFs mother and yet continued to argue the case.

To all those who gave us sound advice and food for thought thank you for your input, to all those posting pointlessly negative comments you need to realise you are putting people off trying and wasting your 'free' time. It is of no benefit to anyone and from our experience completely unfounded and false.

To everyone reading this trying to find information on the process take the negative comments on this thread with a massive pinch of salt as much of it is untrue or misinformed. The kind of information that would have been useful would have been;

1. Get an attorney. They know the process and can ensure all paperwork is completed in a timely manner.
2. Look at the public sector. The US is crying out for teachers, doctors, nurses etc.. and may be the best way in.
3. A commenter stated that 'the US doesn't need financial traders'. This is completely false, our attorney informed us that in normal years banks take roughly half the available visas within the first week. It was only the TARP regulations following the bailout that means it was different this year.

Once again, thanks to all those who gave us good advice and good luck to anyone trying to get to the US.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 8:00 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, and what a nice story. Obviously you and your BF are optimists! Pessimism gets you nowhere. Good luck, and glad you didn't give up!
Old Dec 30th 2009, 8:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

This will be my last comment on this thread, I have only returned to inform other applicants reading it that much of the information and opinions given were false and needlessly negative.

It was not at all helpful to be told I was being deluded and that my dreams 'needed to be crushed'. I don't know what experience these commenters had but it differed massively from our experience. Having seen my BFs mother go through the H1B visa application process it was clear from the outset that much of the advice was either misinformed or given having misunderstood our situation.

Considering this site is called britishexpats.com it is amazing that so many commenters felt the need to belittle our efforts and question whether we should even attempt to come to the US. We came to this site because we felt that it would be a good place to find information and insights into the rarely mentioned intricacies of the process (i.e. the 'interview' being a non-step and that different job sectors have different visa prospects).

You say that its people's time being given for free, I find it amazing that you have so much time on your hands that you can give your 'free' time to call us arrogant! Have you nothing better to do? Yours is a perfect example of the kind of comment that is completely unnecessary and a waste of your time and ours. It seems many commenters needed to read our original post more carefully as we clearly stated that our application was nothing to do with my BFs mother and yet continued to argue the case.

To all those who gave us sound advice and food for thought thank you for your input, to all those posting pointlessly negative comments you need to realise you are putting people off trying and wasting your 'free' time. It is of no benefit to anyone and from our experience completely unfounded and false.

To everyone reading this trying to find information on the process take the negative comments on this thread with a massive pinch of salt as much of it is untrue or misinformed. The kind of information that would have been useful would have been;

1. Get an attorney. They know the process and can ensure all paperwork is completed in a timely manner.
2. Look at the public sector. The US is crying out for teachers, doctors, nurses etc.. and may be the best way in.
3. A commenter stated that 'the US doesn't need financial traders'. This is completely false, our attorney informed us that in normal years banks take roughly half the available visas within the first week. It was only the TARP regulations following the bailout that means it was different this year.

Once again, thanks to all those who gave us good advice and good luck to anyone trying to get to the US.
1) Please don't come on here and post this kind of bollocks. People come here for genuine help and advice and might mistakenly consider what you wrote above as being complete and true.

and

2) Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Yep -- the advice on here is bloody awful. Than gawd someone knows what they're doing.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- the advice on here is bloody awful. Than gawd someone knows what they're doing.
All you need is a positive attitude, fatbrit.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:26 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
And sprouts the size of cabbages.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's us losers out then, isn't it?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Not really mate – this forum for me is god send. I keep myself updated and try and post here and AU forum as much as I can.

I think, and this is not intended to start some kinda mega debate, generally BE as a forum is negative when it comes to questions “Can I immigrate to US”…yes the OP is expected to read WIKI and it’s good to point that out however posters here are generally very quick to say “NO you can not” and some of them rude.

I understand someone might not have one in 100million chance to head to the US but just the way posters react here is weird. Some of them are so called ‘senior’ posters.

Mind you – no one is forcing posters to come and post. They do it when they have time so the least one can expect is some common courtesy and not being so blunt. Understand this forum is not for pleasing everyone and as such posters rather say it straight out – with some courtesy would be good.

Needless to say – I am a member of other forums and genuinely believe that BE can get better in that regards.

Just my 2 cents worth. As I said, not intended to start a fight/debate etc however just my observation…..
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by E3only
Not really mate – this forum for me is god send. I keep myself updated and try and post here and AU forum as much as I can.

I think, and this is not intended to start some kinda mega debate, generally BE as a forum is negative when it comes to questions “Can I immigrate to US”…yes the OP is expected to read WIKI and it’s good to point that out however posters here are generally very quick to say “NO you can not” and some of them rude.

I understand someone might not have one in 100million chance to head to the US but just the way posters react here is weird. Some of them are so called ‘senior’ posters.

Mind you – no one is forcing posters to come and post. They do it when they have time so the least one can expect is some common courtesy and not being so blunt. Understand this forum is not for pleasing everyone and as such posters rather say it straight out – with some courtesy would be good.

Needless to say – I am a member of other forums and genuinely believe that BE can get better in that regards.

Just my 2 cents worth. As I said, not intended to start a fight/debate etc however just my observation…..
It would appear H1B is easier to get now and responses should perhaps reflect this? I have to admit I'm surprised that schools are sponsoring teachers but that is because I'm in California where it's all layoffs.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:57 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by E3only

I agree with you, but it does irk when posters won't help themselves. Go back and read this thread - this one couldn't even be bothered to fully read what was actually posted by others, never mind the wiki - then has the gall to get arsey with everyone.

Some people just haven't got the attitude or social skills to get on with others, in real life or on BE.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 10:59 pm
Septic Sprout

It would appear H1B is easier to get now and responses should perhaps reflect this? I have to admit I'm surprised that schools are sponsoring teachers but that is because I'm in California where it's all layoffs.
There are two fully qualified teachers I know locally who are working in a call centre as they can't even get supply teaching jobs.

OP's follow-up post seems dodgy on many counts.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I would be right pi$$ed off if my property taxes funded H1b sponsorships, unless there was a damned good reason...
Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I agree with you, but it does irk when posters won't help themselves. Go back and read this thread - this one couldn't even be bothered to fully read what was actually posted by others, never mind the wiki - then has the gall to get arsey with everyone.

Some people just haven't got the attitude or social skills to get on with others, in real life or on BE.
Oh yes – never meant to defend the OP, more so as I have not read this thread in full. I was making a statement over all & I believe posters her are a tad –ve about it all.

Just goes back to what I said – no one is forcing members to post. When they do post, some amount of respect to the OP should be a given even if that means saying “no cant happen” or “go to the WIKI”. OP on the other side should show their own research. But lets be practical – if the OP had their own research they probably wont post here anyway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.