Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Originally Posted by RhiTom
I'm on this thread becuase I'm hoping to move to the US with my boyfriend. His mother, who has had a work visa for 5 years, called us to say she had been approved for a green card and flew home to see us. She has been recently asked to do these tests. That's all I know. It's a real shame that we seem so hung up on her green card status when I'm only looking for some advice.

Rene, thanks once again for your constructive feedback. It is complicated, I've been flicking between posts at work today so sorry I have not had time to study the issue.
This does not relate to how to immigrate to the US, but it concerns me that you're posting about this topic at work. Just be careful - usually IT can read anything you can on your work computer.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long. It's simple, read the Wiki, tells us which visa you are going to go for. The forum has clearly stated that finding a job is one thing, qualifying and getting a visa is another.

With unemployment in US in some areas reaching 11-12% - it's hard to believe many will wait to petition (spend extra dollars) and time.

Yes, OP and another person here are wanting to move to States but it's clear that it's not the easiest market to crack. Both in terms of current economy and visa status!

This forum is as good as one wants it to be. If one can take the suggestions and learn, it will be quick to understand if ones dream can come true.

Canada, Australia and NZ are still welcoming migrants!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Canada, Australia and NZ are still welcoming migrants!
Not inexperienced gas fitters...it would seem.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not inexperienced gas fitters...it would seem.
I have come across so called accountants who drive cabs here and no nothing about bean counting..yet get admissions to schools and finish their degrees
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazsmum
I say SOME as there were a few very helpful answers, although these were limited.
You'd do well to understand the difference between "helpful" and "honest". Everyone posting here has been honest... and that will go much farther than simply being helpful. Helpful is subjective... honest is objective.

I was under the impression that this site was here to help potential visa applicants...
You forgot to finish your sentence. It should have read, "I was under the impression that this site was here to help potential visa applicants by giving them honest and factual information."

I won't be asking for any advice...
Shame, really... you could probably benefit from a dose of honesty and reality.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I won't be asking for any advice...
To OP # 2 - Ok then, spend your hard earned by visiting lawyers
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:36 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the UK right now. An earlier poster outlined the status with his mother so I'm fully aware of that. I keep having to answer threads with justifications, very tiresome. I'm not looking to persue this move through citizenship.

You all know more than I do about this, there's really no need to be patronising.

Thanks to all, I'm off to do some research!
I'm sorry if the answers here aren't to your liking. But that's how it is in the big, wide world of the internet. Not to mention when the subject of your question is as complex as US immigration, AND when - despite all your various posts - you seem unwilling to do the most basic thing (read the WIKI which relates to your exact situation/questions quite well), which would bridge a lot of the gaps between your misunderstandings and your frustrations at the responses here.

I do hope you have done some research last night and can come back with some newly formed conclusions, and more informed questions/responses.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 11:53 am
Just Joined

mazsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear...seems I don't "understand the language and terminology used"!!!..if that's not condescending I don't know what is.

Oh, and Fatbrit you mentioned the brave and hallowed being the only people able to enter America, but you missed one other category...the very wealthy....USA here we come!!
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and Fatbrit you mentioned the brave and hallowed being the only people able to enter America, but you missed one other category...the very wealthy....USA here we come!!
So.....you won the lottery or did he knock off a bank?
Old Oct 10th 2009, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to know what "very wealthy" means

To me, it means NEVER having to work, being able to sponsor whatever charities I want, knowing I'll never have trouble coming up with the cash to pay for a $700,000++ medical bill.

I do hope that this is what mazsmum means, and if so I'm pleased for her.

(Personally, I'm a bit tired of people saying "oh yeah, we're rich" but only have net assets worth about 2 or 3 mil - that doesn't go far in the US.....)
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear...seems I don't "understand the language and terminology used"!!!..if that's not condescending I don't know what is.
Perhaps you are just reading impaired, and that's what made the issue for you?
Here is what I said:

Originally Posted by meauxna
if you, or the OP of this thread don't understand the language and the terminology being used, you need to ask for clarification. .

It seems to me that you got upset over something that didn't have anything to do with you, and came in and posted a rant to people you don't know.

Perhaps it would be better if you just started over, and as you have your own questions, ask them in your own thread.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

RhiTom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Often around here it is necessary to crush false hopes. The US is a closed shop for the overwhelming majority of British people.

If you can let me know how to crush someone's misguided dreams without appearing to be condescending or negative, I would love to know. It must be a useful skill.

It's hard to make newcomers understand the gravity of the situation, especially when they come on here saying 'any advice greatly appreciated' when what they actually mean is 'if you could show me a way that circumnavigates the system, it would be greatly appreciated'.
Hi All, I thought it would be useful for any other applicants to know the outcome of this situation for my boyfriend and I. My original post was late September when we were both looking to move here ASAP, hopefull that this would be soon - although seen by many as 'deluded'. We have now both had H1B visas approved and start work January, so excited! We originally filed applications through our US attorney at the start of December so visas took 3 weeks for the petition to be approved and appoitment set at the us embassy. We are already here in the US and can't wait to start work. To any other hopefuls it is possible, we did it!! Thanks to all.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All, I thought it would be useful for any other applicants to know the outcome of this situation for my boyfriend and I. My original post was late September when we were both looking to move here ASAP, hopefull that this would be soon - although seen by many as 'deluded'. We have now both had H1B visas approved and start work January, so excited! We originally filed applications through our US attorney at the start of December so visas took 3 weeks for the petition to be approved and appoitment set at the us embassy. We are already here in the US and can't wait to start work. To any other hopefuls it is possible, we did it!! Thanks to all.
Wow! Congratulations on you both getting H1B visas. Will you both be working for the same company? How long were you are the Embassy for for your interviews? I think we were there for about 1hr 45 or thereabouts.
I hope you enjoy your new life in the US. Congrats again!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

RhiTom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SarahG
Wow! Congratulations on you both getting H1B visas. Will you both be working for the same company? How long were you are the Embassy for for your interviews? I think we were there for about 1hr 45 or thereabouts.
I hope you enjoy your new life in the US. Congrats again!
Hi Sarah, many thanks - we're thrilled. We're both working in education (maths & physics) but different institutions and understand there's a shortage of teachers here which might be a good tip for anyone considering the move. Yes around 2 hours wait for a quick 'interview' which I was incredibly nervous about and turned out to be lots of waiting around. So glad it's official now, it can be really confusing with many different sources of conflicting information and opinions. Initially I had considered the H4 option but was lucky enough to have my offer, although a slightly later start. Thanks for your message, it's a really exciting time! x
Old Dec 30th 2009, 11:20 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!!

I hope now that you are in teaching your reading ability improves. Only one person mentioned the word 'deluded', but you were doing a great job at giving that impression simply by not showing any evidence at all in your posts that you had read more than 50% of the information that had been given. You did indicate that you were skim reading posts from work whilst you were tired, but considering that a number of people were giving of their own time - for free - to help you it's a little bit arrogant on your part that you chose not to show them the respect of actually reading what was written.

The impression that people got was the one that you gave. That's your responsibility, not theirs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.