Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

RhiTom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

I'm in the UK right now. An earlier poster outlined the status with his mother so I'm fully aware of that. I keep having to answer threads with justifications, very tiresome. I'm not looking to persue this move through citizenship.

You all know more than I do about this, there's really no need to be patronising.

Thanks to all, I'm off to do some research!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RhiTom
You all know more than I do about this, there's really no need to be patronising.
I'm sorry if this was directed at me. I'm the slowest typist in the world. I have to keep rechecking my spelling too. So my posts are usually short and (hopefully) to the point.

We feel and understand your excitement at what your future might hold for you, and we all recall well how quickly we wanted answers when we were looking

We are just trying to point you in the right direction/s
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the UK right now. An earlier poster outlined the status with his mother so I'm fully aware of that. I keep having to answer threads with justifications, very tiresome. I'm not looking to persue this move through citizenship.

Thanks to all, I'm off to do some research!
It's not you getting citizenship but if you want to come off your mother-in-laws status SHE will need to get it. Or she could petition her son as a greencard holder and then you get married and he petition you as a spouse but the time involved would still be well over a decade. Not patronizing, just giving you the facts you wanted.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not looking to persue this move through citizenship.
Nobody is suggesting that. You would not be eligible for citizenship at this point anyway.

Continue your research, then come back with more questions. Good luck.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

RhiTom will become famous soon enough

ozzidoc, I have been in meetings since 7.30am this morning and can barely find the energy to type this evening. I have increased my understanding of this 100% today which isn't bad. There was certainly nothing directed at you, I am incredibly excited at the prospect of working in the US. I have almost saved enough to start my own business over there but not quite, I am certainly not the most patient person
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Another potential pitfall we seem to have temporarily forgotten about - the numerical restriction on H1-B visas. A fixed number are available every year. This year, because of the recession and TARP restrictions, thousands are still available. But in past years when the economy was booming, there were far more applicants than visas (on day 1!), so visas were allocated by lottery. So when you and the employer are all set with a can't-miss application, if all the visas are gone you're out of luck until next year.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.........I am incredibly excited at the prospect of working in the US. I have almost saved enough to start my own business over there but not quite, I am certainly not the most patient person
Now I'm puzzled. All along you seemed to be thinking of trying to find an employer to sponsor you for a work visa (H1b)........ but now you say you have the funds for purchasing a business?

Just wondering whether you were aware that such a purchase requires at least $150k, and the visa that goes with it (E2) does not in itself lead to permanent residency. (I am assuming you do not have the $500k+ needed for an E5...)
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:57 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I am certainly not the most patient person
Oh dear...

More than money, more than enthusiasm, more than anything....if you are going to pursue this dream the one thing you really, really need is patience.

Me, I hate form filling. Almost to the point of self-destruction. But I had patience...
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:04 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Slow down. Please.

It is no good getting upset:

It's a real shame that we seem so hung up on her green card status when I'm only looking for some advice.
When your original message stated...

...are hoping for some advice on how to make the process as quick as possible in light of both his mothers green card status...
and you are therefore getting exactly the advice you asked for. And it is good advice. Very good.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

mazsmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

I have just read the replies to RHITOM's previous questions, as I too am interested in moving to the States on a permanent basis, and was hoping for some guidance from your answers...however, I am VERY disappointed to see that SOME of the senior members on this site seem to be more interested in patronising and condescending Rhi, instead of making genuine efforts to provide some useful information..I say SOME as there were a few very helpful answers, although these were limited.
I was under the impression that this site was here to help potential visa applicants, not poke fun and make negative comments...I won't be asking for any advice, but just wanted to offer you all the very best of luck Rhi, hope you get the positive outcome you want in the near future!!!

Mazsmum
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazsmum
I have just read the replies to RHITOM's previous questions, as I too am interested in moving to the States on a permanent basis, and was hoping for some guidance from your answers...however, I am VERY disappointed to see that SOME of the senior members on this site seem to be more interested in patronising and condescending Rhi, instead of making genuine efforts to provide some useful information..I say SOME as there were a few very helpful answers, although these were limited.
I was under the impression that this site was here to help potential visa applicants, not poke fun and make negative comments...I won't be asking for any advice, but just wanted to offer you all the very best of luck Rhi, hope you get the positive outcome you want in the near future!!!

Mazsmum
Sorry, I'm not going to let that stand; if you, or the OP of this thread don't understand the language and the terminology being used, you need to ask for clarification. There is nothing condescending in this thread, other than OP's attitude that of course she can get a job. Since she wasn't aware that that isn't all it takes, plenty of people patiently explained the basics of US immigration to her.

The most helpful answer, that you can also access, is to read the pinned thread/Pulaski's Ways for the various types of US visas available.

I'll add for you that the surest way to get NO help here is to come in and make your first post critical of the people here, especially when you don't seem to know the first thing about the topic.

US immigration is notoriously individual, it's not like Australia or other places where you just have to fill up a laundry list or add up enough points. You can get in through a close family member, highly skilled employment/transfer, significant investment and a few other exceptions.
Without one of those, there *is* no 'potential visa applicant', just wishful thinking.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Mazsmum
Nothing condescending in any posts. Just because people don't beat around the bush and give info that is both (mostly) factually correct but relevant to the individual doesn't make it condescending. Also, just because the majority of people won't actually be able to move here and don't like the answers or time frames being given it doesn't make the answers condescending either, or for that matter any less true. US immigration is very, very tough, potentially very long (like 15 years) with some pretty specific criteria. It is also very much easier (not necessarily shorter) to immigrate based on family rather than a job hence the questioning about the OP's boyfriends mother. People here keep it real.

The only thing that has been overlooked is the diversity lottery. UK citizens are not often eligible but it's based on birthplace rather than citizenship so it should be looked into.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Sep 28th 2009 at 10:23 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Mazsmum
Often around here it is necessary to crush false hopes. The US is a closed shop for the overwhelming majority of British people.

If you can let me know how to crush someone's misguided dreams without appearing to be condescending or negative, I would love to know. It must be a useful skill.

It's hard to make newcomers understand the gravity of the situation, especially when they come on here saying 'any advice greatly appreciated' when what they actually mean is 'if you could show me a way that circumnavigates the system, it would be greatly appreciated'.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Often around here it is necessary to crush false hopes. The US is a closed shop for the overwhelming majority of British people.

If you can let me know how to crush someone's misguided dreams without appearing to be condescending or negative, I would love to know. It must be a useful skill.

It's hard to make newcomers understand the gravity of the situation, especially when they come on here saying 'any advice greatly appreciated' when what they actually mean is 'if you could show me a way that circumnavigates the system, it would be greatly appreciated'.
The OP in this thread is fairly typical of a lot of would-be immigrants who post here in that:

- the first post provides insufficient, inaccurate and potentially misleading information, with subsequent 'explanations' further muddying the waters;

- he/she had not read and/or understood any of the helpful stickies/Wiki posts that are clearly marked at the top of the forum;

- he/she has a preconceived notion that there *must be* a way to move to the US and appears to be unable to accept that this is infinitely more difficult than they imagined.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Mazsmum
So go to Dingoland where all the losers end up and see if we care.
Only the bravest and the best make it to these hallowed shores.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.