Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

RhiTom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

meauxna - My full address is always on the top of my CV and also my resume. My partners mother has been approved for a green card so I assume if her travel was an issue it isn't now
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RhiTom
I am therefore unsure as to what grounds a visa could be rejected after securing a job? I understand smaller firms might not have such a grasp of the visa system and I by no means underestimate the number of potential hurdles in my way, the reason I have posted here is because I'm looking for constructive help so any information is appreciated
Did you actually read the replies you got in this thread? Once again: you cannot "secure" a job without a visa. If the company likes you, they petition for you. A "job offer" without a visa petition is completely worthless.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

ian mstm - She has received an official letter from her solicitor stating she has been approved for a green card but is currently undergoing all sorts such as finger printing, dna samples etc
Sounds odd. I was under the impression biometrics was done prior to approval, not afterwards. I don't think you have the complete story.

Don't really matter for your situation anyway.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My partners mother has been approved for a green card so I assume if her travel was an issue it isn't now
ian mstm - She has received an official letter from her solicitor stating she has been approved for a green card but is currently undergoing all sorts such as finger printing, dna samples etc
It actually reads more that perhaps her petition has finally been approved + a visa number available, clearing the way for her to put in a green card application.
DNA samples are not part of any usual immigration case; I'm urge you to not rely on your friend's experience as typical and think it will be the same for you.
Immigration resides in the details.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am therefore unsure as to what grounds a visa could be rejected after securing a job?
You mean after securing a job "offer". You won't have actually secured a job until after you get the visa and start working in the USA.

I understand smaller firms might not have such a grasp of the visa system and I by no means underestimate the number of potential hurdles in my way, the reason I have posted here is because I'm looking for constructive help so any information is appreciated
If it's a smaller, inexperienced firm, they probably don't know all the ins and outs of the process either. They will (or should) hire an immigration attorney to work with them on the petition in the USA so that it has the greatest chance of success once it reaches the visa interview stage. At that point, you'll go for a visa interview in person, and the ConOff will determine whether you fit the job criteria, whether the job fits the visa criteria, etc. Many times there is a mismatch, even though everyone tried hard to make it work. This example might not apply to your case, but just for example....everything goes through all the way up to the visa interview...then at the interview the ConOff realizes the job description isn't one that requires a degree. But the H1B visa requires that the job description must be for a degreed person. You have a degree, and the H1B requires a degree, but that particular job you applied for does not require a degree...therefore a visa won't be issued.

It's complicated.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

When I say secure a job I mean an employer agreeing to hire you, offering you a job - I've started looking into this today so please appreicate this is all new to me and I really didn't expect to have to be so particular with my terminology.

As far as the green card we celebrated her approval with a big party and now biometrics are being taken.

Thanks to all for your help on this thread.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

When I say secure a job I mean an employer agreeing to hire you, offering you a job - I've started looking into this today so please appreicate this is all new to me and I really didn't expect to have to be so particular with my terminology.

As far as the green card we celebrated her approval with a big party and now biometrics are being taken.

Thanks to all for your help on this thread.
Biometrics are taken BEFORE green card approval.

What did you think of the contents of Pulaski's Ways?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I am therefore unsure as to what grounds a visa could be rejected after securing a job? I understand smaller firms might not have such a grasp of the visa system and I by no means underestimate the number of potential hurdles in my way, the reason I have posted here is because I'm looking for constructive help so any information is appreciated
Umm, yeah. Sounds odd. Finger prints are taken before a greencard is approved and an official letter from a solicitor (I assume lawyer) means nothing unless it includes an official letter from USCIS. Also, securing a job and being able to work that job are completely different. Anyone can give you a job doing anything but that doesn't mean that they, you or the job will qualify for a visa. There seems to be some sort of mental block in your brain where being offered a job is the same as being given a visa which is not the case. You are evaluated for the job by the company offering it. If you pass they will offer it to you. You, the company and the job are evaluated for a visa by the government. If you all pass that then you will be given a visa. Having a job offer is not the only thing that is looked at, in fact it's probably not looked at at all after the initial review.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's nice, and I'm not trying to be mean, but if she hadn't yet done her biometrics, she doesn't have a 'green card' or Permanent Resident status.

The devil is totally in the details, and the terminology is very, very important. We dont' expect you to know all the right terms, but be looking for them being used here. And don't expect that you can send off some applications today and get a result soon. We're not telling you that it is difficult just for the fun of arguing, it's really difficult and time consuming. Most UK people here in the US for work were head hunted, hitch hiked off a student internship placement or married a US citizen and moved on that relationship.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

I'm on this thread becuase I'm hoping to move to the US with my boyfriend. His mother, who has had a work visa for 5 years, called us to say she had been approved for a green card and flew home to see us. She has been recently asked to do these tests. That's all I know. It's a real shame that we seem so hung up on her green card status when I'm only looking for some advice.

Rene, thanks once again for your constructive feedback. It is complicated, I've been flicking between posts at work today so sorry I have not had time to study the issue.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on this thread becuase I'm hoping to move to the US with my boyfriend. His mother, who has had a work visa for 5 years, called us to say she had been approved for a green card and flew home to see us. She has been recently asked to do these tests. That's all I know. It's a real shame that we seem so hung up on her green card status when I'm only looking for some advice.
I suspect that, after a lengthy period of retrogression/labor certification whilst in H1b status, the mother's I-140 has been approved and/or her priority date has become current, and she has now been able to file her I-485 (along with the I-765 and possibly a I-131), and the acceptance of said application will have triggered the request for biometrics.

It's a whole new lingo..........
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real shame that we seem so hung up on her green card status when I'm only looking for some advice.
It is because she may be your only hope of actually getting here. Without you knowing the details you probably are not going to be moving here. If you are looking for a time line then IF she has just been approved for a green card you would need to be married to your boyfriend, your mother in law would need to wait 5 years - 90 days an apply for citizenship then wait maybe 5 months for that then petition you guys, you would wait maybe 10 years for that to go through and another 8 months or so for the actual real paperwork to go through. So probably 15-20 years. Does that help?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:54 pm

Rene, thanks once again for your constructive feedback. It is complicated, I've been flicking between posts at work today so sorry I have not had time to study the issue.
You are the one who keeps mentioning her process like it is going to have some influence or impact on what you do. Her story winds up being an excellent example of why the correct terminology is important.

See what you can do about finding an employer interested in working with you, do some of the background reading and come back when you have a new set of questions. Now that you have today's information, I'm sure you'll be able to narrow down the employers you want to pursue.

Last edited by meauxna; Sep 28th 2009 at 6:59 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
It is because she may be your only hope of actually getting here. Without you knowing the details you probably are not going to be moving here. If you are looking for a time line then IF she has just been approved for a green card you would need to be married to your boyfriend, your mother in law would need to wait 5 years - 90 days an apply for citizenship then wait maybe 5 months for that then petition you guys, you would wait maybe 10 years for that to go through and another 8 months or so for the actual real paperwork to go through. So probably 15-20 years. Does that help?
And that.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a small company, there might be doubt about the company's ability to pay you at or above the prevailing wage rate. They might decide that a degree isn't required for the position described in the application. Those are a couple of possible pitfalls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.