Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young couple moving to USA, advice needed

Originally Posted by RhiTom
Ian mstm - If a job you say is easy then surely this potential employer is fully aware of our nationality and need for a visa? Are you saying I could be hired for a position and then instructed by the company to get a visa in two different processes? Surely they wouldn't offer me a job if I wasn't avilable to take it?
You've got big assumptions there. It would be easy to find an employer, get them excited about you and them have NO idea of the hurdles in actually getting you over to work. It happens here every day that employers make offers that the candidate can not possibly fill (either the job or the applicant don't fit the immigration rules). Not just any job will do.

All employment based visas start with the employer filing a petition on your behalf; the visa process is employer generated. There is nothing you can start WRT immigration on your own.

You might want to fact check the BF's mother's story; there are several inconsistencies you've posted that might be leading you to think it's easier than it actually is. Bear in mind that her process started over 10 years ago and things change.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Ian mstm - If a job you say is easy then surely this potential employer is fully aware of our nationality and need for a visa? Are you saying I could be hired for a position and then instructed by the company to get a visa in two different processes? Surely they wouldn't offer me a job if I wasn't avilable to take it?
The company isn't just going to hire you. If you are lucky, they will petition for a visa. If the petition is approved, you go to the embassy/consulate for an interview. If you are approved, then the company will probably hire you.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

RhiTom will become famous soon enough

1. The solicitor is my partners mothers solicitor who handled her immigration over the last 5 years (she as worked in the US for 5 years and is awaiting green card confirmation - she was lucky enough to find work at start working within 2 months of her search from scratch)

2. Fair enough. I assumed larger corporations would have at least some experience with the visa system, I appreciate this might not always be the case. Is a confirmed job in the US a guarentee for a visa or can you actually be rejected for a work visa with a confirmed job offer?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

SOME employers will know about the need for a visa. Large, multinational companies, universities, major teaching hospitals, for example, commonly employ foreign workers. Many other employers won't know anything about the process. We've seen it here on BE. Somebody joins, and starts asking about good schools in Boston because the whole family is moving over... except that the employer has never hired a foreigner before and had no idea a visa was required, and neither did our new poster.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

1. The solicitor is my partners mothers solicitor who handled her immigration over the last 5 years (she as worked in the US for 5 years and is awaiting green card confirmation - she was lucky enough to find work at start working within 2 months of her search from scratch)

2. Fair enough. I assumed larger corporations would have at least some experience with the visa system, I appreciate this might not always be the case. Is a confirmed job in the US a guarentee for a visa or can you actually be rejected for a work visa with a confirmed job offer?
Quick question: do you have ANY intention of reading the WIKI........ at some point?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Is a confirmed job in the US a guarentee for a visa or can you actually be rejected for a work visa with a confirmed job offer?
I know you are asking in all seriousness, so I won't try to be funny. There is no guarantee of a visa.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

First of all the job has to qualify.
The the petition has to be approved.
Then you apply for a visa-you have to qualify for the visa. The job offer is only one part of qualifying for the visa.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:06 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira
Quick question: do you have ANY intention of reading the WIKI........ at some point?
I was just wondering that same thing!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... she as worked in the US for 5 years and is awaiting green card confirmation
In your initial post, you said she "has been successful in obtaining a green card"... but now she doesn't have one but is awaiting confirmation. Hmm...

Is a confirmed job in the US a guarentee for a visa or can you actually be rejected for a work visa with a confirmed job offer?
As Bill_S says, "there is no guarantee of a visa". I'll also add that there is no guarantee of entrance to the US even if you have a valid visa.

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

meauxna - Thanks for this. I didn't realise it was so frequently the case that employers would not prempt this, with the fact I'm British on the top of my CV I would have hoped the visa discussion would start early on! The couple of applications I completed this afternoon asked my online first off whether I had these rights. I did completely assume this so will absolutely bear this in mind.

My previous posts were written earlier today at work so he has corrected me as his mum has lived in the US for 7 years roughly and has worked and live permenently there for 5 years. She didn't start looking for work until just under 2 years after travelling back and forth between the US & UK.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

A confirmed job offer isn't even a guarantee of a visa application, or application acceptance let alone a visa itself.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The couple of applications I completed this afternoon asked my online first off whether I had these rights.
If you run across an application which asks if you currently have the right to work in the USA (or US work authorization), the answer is "no".

At that point, they will probably realize you need a visa, and the company will either be willing to sponsor you and give it a try, or not.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:16 pm

meauxna - Thanks for this. I didn't realise it was so frequently the case that employers would not prempt this, with the fact I'm British on the top of my CV I would have hoped the visa discussion would start early on! The couple of applications I completed this afternoon asked my online first off whether I had these rights. I did completely assume this so will absolutely bear this in mind.
#1, employers should be interviewing without asking about your nationality. Guess what? My husband has a British accent, but he's American.
Nationality is not normally data you'd have at the top of the *resume* you would use for job prospecting (not CV).
If you completed an application that asked if you are employment authorized in the US, and you are not, your applications may not even reach a pair of eyes. However, if you have an extraordinary talent, they may read further.

From reading the USA forum, I think that the way jobs of the caliber you're shooting for are found is quite different in the US than the UK. You should factor in the networking/personal connection angle. There are some good suggestions in the E-3 thread currently running in this forum.

My previous posts were written earlier today at work so he has corrected me as his mum has lived in the US for 7 years roughly and has worked and live permenently there for 5 years. She didn't start looking for work until just under 2 years after travelling back and forth between the US & UK.
That is the 2nd time you've mentioned that mother was traveling in/out, probably on the Visa Waiver Program. You should proceed with extreme caution; that is not a normal/sanctioned use of the VWP and you'll want to make sure you stay on the correct side of that line if you have longer term aspirations for the US.
Does she have a US citizen spouse?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

ian mstm - She has received an official letter from her solicitor stating she has been approved for a green card but is currently undergoing all sorts such as finger printing, dna samples etc

I am therefore unsure as to what grounds a visa could be rejected after securing a job? I understand smaller firms might not have such a grasp of the visa system and I by no means underestimate the number of potential hurdles in my way, the reason I have posted here is because I'm looking for constructive help so any information is appreciated
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:23 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

ian mstm - She has received an official letter from her solicitor stating she has been approved for a green card but is currently undergoing all sorts such as finger printing, dna samples etc

I am therefore unsure as to what grounds a visa could be rejected after securing a job? I understand smaller firms might not have such a grasp of the visa system and I by no means underestimate the number of potential hurdles in my way, the reason I have posted here is because I'm looking for constructive help so any information is appreciated
I'll bring it up again:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...n_the_USA#Work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.