Yay!!!

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yay!!!

After what seems like an eternity, OH employers have sent an email confirming that they WILL go for GC for us! They don't fully understand what they need to do and what we need to do at the moment but they have said that they will help us get green cards.

Come Halloween me and the kids will have been here 12 months on the dreaded H4 visa.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yay!!!

Originally Posted by SarahG
After what seems like an eternity, OH employers have sent an email confirming that they WILL go for GC for us! They don't fully understand what they need to do and what we need to do at the moment but they have said that they will help us get green cards.

Come Halloween me and the kids will have been here 12 months on the dreaded H4 visa.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Thanks Lisa. I was not expecting them to get back to us as soon as they did. Now OH is off to the office and I am left at home trying to not look like I have slept with a coat hanger in my mouth!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

congratulations
But didnt your other half agree on filing a petition for him before you moved to the US?
I dont think I could of moved, without written confirmation from my employer that they would sponsor me for green card.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
congratulations
But didnt your other half agree on filing a petition for him before you moved to the US?
I dont think I could of moved, without written confirmation from my employer that they would sponsor me for green card.
Nope. It was mentioned but nothing written down. No point fretting about it now though.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just when it was looking good, the immigration lawyer has basically just told OH boss that it would be very expensive and very difficult to get an Employment based GC based on the PERM regulations. So it looks like we are back to square 1 and are stuck to the H1B/H4 visas we are currently on.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just when it was looking good, the immigration lawyer has basically just told OH boss that it would be very expensive and very difficult to get an Employment based GC based on the PERM regulations. So it looks like we are back to square 1 and are stuck to the H1B/H4 visas we are currently on.
Oh Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that. What a let down. Why has the immigration lawyer said that. I have no useful advice for you. We are in a totally different situation as Andy's bosses filed for a green card before the H1-b and by the length of time that took, our GC application was at the Visa Centre stage, so we are waiting on availability. I'm sure there'll be some good advice coming your way from some of the others, but hang in there. There's always a solution to every problem, and yes, I sympathise about the H4!!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

It seems that getting PERM in the current job market will be very difficult and the expense (make that lawyers fees and costs to meet PERM regulations) will be very high. The company OH works for is a very small company and they employ about 15-20 people. Not sure what is going to happen now. Boss has replied to lawyer asking what can be done now, so we are waiting to hear what he says.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that getting PERM in the current job market will be very difficult and the expense (make that lawyers fees and costs to meet PERM regulations) will be very high. The company OH works for is a very small company and they employ about 15-20 people. Not sure what is going to happen now. Boss has replied to lawyer asking what can be done now, so we are waiting to hear what he says.
Hang in there Sarah. You sound as if this has unsettled you. Wait and see what the lawyer comes back with. Is it the same lawyer that was involved in the H1b application??
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brat1
Hang in there Sarah. You sound as if this has unsettled you. Wait and see what the lawyer comes back with. Is it the same lawyer that was involved in the H1b application??
yeah it is. They are in Chicago and charge $500 per hour. I have been given the name of a local immigration lawyer who lives in the same town as us and works near OH office.
I've been told to wait and see what the lawyer comes back with but neither me and OH or his employers can really afford $500ph
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

yeah it is. They are in Chicago and charge $500 per hour. I have been given the name of a local immigration lawyer who lives in the same town as us and works near OH office.
I've been told to wait and see what the lawyer comes back with but neither me and OH or his employers can really afford $500ph
Oh crap!! That's expensive. Did your OH's employers not look into this before they sponsored the H1b. I would really hate to see this unsettling you all after making the move. I would definitely look and see if there is another immigration lawyer who could help you. Don't let it get you down and let us know what they come back with.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

So how much is a GC application say EB-2 category supposed to cost? Factoring in lawyer fees + application fees? I am not looking for a set amount as I am sure it depends from case to case but just a ball park.

5k,7.5k,10k...?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
So how much is a GC application say EB-2 category supposed to cost? Factoring in lawyer fees + application fees? I am not looking for a set amount as I am sure it depends from case to case but just a ball park.

5k,7.5k,10k...?
According to a post I saw earlier today (can't for the life of me remember who by or which thread though!), $10-20k.

Edit - found it! Post no. 4. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8851476

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 16th 2010 at 7:05 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

10-20k massive range. Not that I have not heard of that range before. I think it depends totally on the lawyer I guess.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

davidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by E3only
10-20k massive range. Not that I have not heard of that range before. I think it depends totally on the lawyer I guess.
We were originally quoted "around 12k on average", my case went smoothly and came in under that figure. You won't generally find fixed prices because everyones case is different and they have no way of knowing in advance how much work it will be.

For what it's worth, here's the one we used..
http://www.bonnlaw.com/

If your employers main objection is cost then you can always negotiate some kind of deal with them. If you add some details on the job/qualifications then I am sure someone here can comment on chances of PERM approval. What I do know is that approval rates are currently up, waiting times are down and there are fewer cases being audited than there were a year or two ago. If anything it is easier now than it has been for a while because there are fewer new cases being filed.

Remember that the employer might want to keep you in H-visa status because they think you might demand a raise or leave as soon as you get a GC. What they have told you sounds like excuses to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.