"Writing holiday" - VWP

Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:14 am
Just Joined

speedbird84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question "Writing holiday" - VWP

Hello all

Could posters please advise on best practise for an individual undertaking a "writing holiday" in the US under the VWP.

I am a fourth year postgraduate student at a British university and I am currently writing up my Phd.

I have been invited to travel to stay with a friend, who is an old academic colleague and who now lives in south Texas, in order to write my PhD there. I will be there for 80 days as a personal guest of my host. I fulfill all other conditions of the VWP.

I am slightly concerned that, if questioned, and reveal that I am travelling to the US to do some University work, they might ask for some sort of education or exchange visa, whereas all the work I am planning to do over there is my own, and is not in connection with any US educational institution at all.

I have been told by the US embassy in London that "writing holidays" are usually covered by the VWP or a B tourist visa, but would like to see what others think. Should I volunteer information to CBP that I am going on a "writing holiday", or should I simply say I am on "holiday" and am taking some schoolwork with me to pass the time? Other than writing, I am planning on doing some tourism, including travelling by bus to Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso; and lots of hiking.

The last time I was in the US was two years ago, for a week, and then for several days at a time over the course of the preceding six years while attending academic conferences there.

I am taking with me evidence of enrolment at my University here in Britain; a letter from my supervisor detailing my intention to submit a thesis here in the UK; evidence of sufficient funds; bank details; payroll slips; etc.

All advice much appreciated

Speedbird84
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Writing holiday" - VWP

Just say you're on vacation and I doubt you'll have any problem at all. Proof of the ties back to the UK is key. Don't volunteer any information unless asked.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by speedbird84
I fulfill all other conditions of the VWP.
Since you are not being paid to write your dissertation, you are *not* working... and it *is* personal writing.

Should I volunteer information to CBP that I am going on a "writing holiday", or should I simply say I am on "holiday" and am taking some schoolwork with me to pass the time?
You *never* volunteer information. If you are asked why you came to the US, you answer honestly - you *are* on holiday. Your schoolwork is totally irrelevant to the question and is best not even mentioned. Now, if you are specifically asked whether you've brought school work with you... then you answer honestly... but I'm pretty sure it won't even come up. Remember... you *never* volunteer information... and you answer *only* the question asked. In case you need a "for instance"... the only correct answer to "Do you know what time it is?" is either "yes" or "no". Period. End of story.

Ian
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What they all said.

I'm no dope, but I've never heard of a 'writing holiday'.. don't confuse the Border Patrol!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

J-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really nice

he only correct answer to "Do you know what time it is?" is either "yes" or "no". Period. End of story.
I laugh when I read this example on here as I can't imagine your feet would touch the ground as they drag you in for further questions
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-Man
I laugh when I read this example on here as I can't imagine your feet would touch the ground as they drag you in for further questions
aye, they might be inclined to give you a rectal exam, but there is nothing wrong with the answer