Wow!

Old Apr 20th 2001, 7:14 am
Daisy

I just read the naturalization oath that you take to become a US citizen......I
didn't realize they make you renounce your previous citizenship to any other
country........now I know why my husband doesn't want to go that route, he's a
Canadian and takes his citizenship very seriously, I guess the US does not recognize
dual citizenship, even with Canada??

Daisy

Old Apr 20th 2001, 7:40 am
Dale & Brenda

I talked to the Canadian consulate in Minnesota and with me being canadian I had the
same concerns as your husband ...they told me that if any canadian decides to become
american by marriage or otherwise, they are always considered a canadian citizen
...the "american way" cannot take away the fact that our birth certificates are
canadian and that wont change a thing ...as far as the dual citizenship thing goes,
if your come from a country where you are permitted to hold dual citizenship, and you
become a naturalized American, you may retain the passports of both countries. The US
government does not encourage this, because it could result in split loyalties, but
it will not prevent you from holding dual citizenship if you are eligible.

Brenda

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 20th 2001, 8:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The renounciation is verbal. Canada allows dual citizenship and does not consider a Canadian taking this oath to mean that the Canadian citizen has given up their Canadian citizenship. Just as in essence the US does not truly believe that the Canadian citizen has walked into their Consulate in the US and formally rescinded their citizenship. For most countries this is exactly what you have to do in order to lose your citizenship. Of course, there are some countries that will rescind your citizenship without your formally doing this and I believe one of those countries is Australia.

I am married to a Canadian citizen will become a US Ctizen primarily for the benefits it gives him. One of which is the ability to leave the US and return to Canada to live and return at whim to the US without having to go through the immigration process again.

Also if you are both a Canadian citizen and a US citizen you enter Canada with your Canadian passport and re-enter the US with your US passport. (Think I got that right).
Old Apr 20th 2001, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete

I am married to a Canadian citizen will become a US Ctizen primarily for the benefits it gives him. One of which is the ability to leave the US and return to Canada to live and return at whim to the US without having to go through the immigration process again.
[/B]
I thought this to be an advantage of US citizenship, as we don't plan to stay in the US for more than an few years but do foresee returning at some point in the future.

However, I have decided against becoming a US citizen for tax reasons - since US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income. I will put up with the pain of reimmigrating (I've survived it twice already), which isn't too bad from the UK. Canadians have a very raw deal in this regard.
Old Apr 20th 2001, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ameriscot
I will put up with the pain of reimmigrating (I've survived it twice already), which isn't too bad from the UK. Canadians have a very raw deal in this regard. [/B]
ameriscot, just out of interest, what's the cost of reimmigrating in terms of $$ and your labour? much hassle?

thanks,

kate (ukc)
Old Apr 20th 2001, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Around $500, I'd say.

$110 for the petition. $325 for the visa. Then photos, stamps, travel to London etc.
Old Apr 20th 2001, 11:23 am
raebear

Australia rescinds citizenship of Australians if they immigrate to the U.S. without
the consent of the immigrant? Wow, that's harsh! Also something I'd like to know
about, as my fiance is Australian and most assuredly does not wish to give up his
Australian citizenship. Can you point me someplace where I might learn more about
this? Thanks very much.

Rete wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 20th 2001, 12:29 pm
Alvena Ferreira

raebear wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Australia does not allow dual citizenship...not all countries allow dual citizenship.
You can read the dual citizenship FAQ here: http://www.webcom.com/richw/dualcit/

and find a partial list of the countries that do and do not allow dual citizenship
here: http://ilw.com/pederson/visa.htm

alvena

Old Apr 20th 2001, 12:31 pm
Betastar

For some reason I'm not getting all the posts through Free Agent (I *still* miss
Deja!) but I do sometimes get them through replies.

One was this:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:23:57 -0700, raebear <[email protected]> wrote:

[usenetquote2]>> The renounciation is verbal. Canada allows dual citizenship and does not consider[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> a Canadian taking this oath to mean that the Canadian citizen has given up their[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Canadian citizenship. Just as in essence the US does not truly believe that the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Canadian citizen has walked into their Consulate in the US and formally rescinded[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> their citizenship. For most countries this is exactly what you have to do in order[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> to lose your citizenship. Of course, there are some countries that will rescind[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> your citizenship without your formally doing this and I believe one of those[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> countries is Australia.[/usenetquote2]

I think Australia allows dual-citizenship. Germany and Austria are two countries that
I know do not allow it. If you take the US Naturalization oath, Austria considers
that as your giving up your Austrian citizenship. The only way to have dual
citizenship with Austria and the US is to be born of parents who have Austrian and US
citizenship (obviously, one US and one Austrian). Even then, the Austrian government
has told us they will make our children choose between them at age 18.

Betastar

Old Apr 20th 2001, 12:47 pm
Betastar

>
    >
    >

Wow! My bad, then. I thought it did.

>
    >

If I were thinking of getting dual citizenship, I'd investigate it a bit more
carefully for your individual country's case. This list was last updated in 1999 -
things change.

I found a more current list (though I've not compared it with the above one) at:
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/c...01/01cib05.htm

Old Apr 20th 2001, 1:34 pm
Ken Ray

>
U.S.
    >
    >
    >
someplace
    >

My understanding is that if an Australian citizen takes out citizenship of another
country that requires them to renounce all other allegiances - like taking US
citizenship - then you lose your Aussie citizenship.

Old Apr 20th 2001, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For AmeriScot

What you claimed about taxation is not entirely true. If you are living and working in a country with a tax treaty with the US you will only pay taxes in one country (up to a certain amount).

Rita
Old Apr 20th 2001, 2:13 pm
raebear

Thanks, Ken. While my fiance may one day consider applying for U.S. citizenship, I
think he'd be quite content to stay as a permanent resident alien for quite some
time. I appreciate your input.

Ken Ray wrote:

[usenetquote2]> > Australia rescinds citizenship of Australians if they immigrate to the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > without the consent of the immigrant? Wow, that's harsh! Also something I'd like[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to know about, as my fiance is Australian and most assuredly does not wish to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > give up his Australian citizenship. Can you point me[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > where I might learn more about this? Thanks very much.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 20th 2001, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rete
For AmeriScot

What you claimed about taxation is not entirely true. If you are living and working in a country with a tax treaty with the US you will only pay taxes in one country (up to a certain amount).

Rita
In my case I wouldn't be working so would not have earned income taxed at source. It would be investment income which would be kept offshore (eg the Channel Islands). It would be safe from the long arms of the British Inland Revenue because it would not be from within jurisdiction, and safe from the US IRS as long as I am not a citizen or permanent resident.
Old Apr 20th 2001, 11:29 pm
Kelly Daken

Hi All, A couple of points for Australians, you can hold dual citizenship, but as you
must take action to obtain US citizenship you will loose your Australian citizenship.
The rules are given on http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/66cits.htm a few extracts follow
my name. *******IMPORTANT NOTE RE TAXATION***** If you do not relinquish your
Australian Residency (not the same as citizenship), you will have to pay taxes in
Australia as well as where you are working, taking note that our top tax bracket
including medicare etc is over 50% it is important to relinquish residency while
maintaining your citizenship. So unless you want to pay double taxes this sounds like
a good idea to me. I found this out after my fiancee called to let me know that her
friend had a workmate who was still paying tax in Australia. So I contacted the
Australian Tax Office and asked the situation. I was told to take a copy of my one
way airline ticket (or other proof) into the tax office with a final tax return, no
matter what time of year it is (I was told any return due would be sent to me within
3 weeks as well) and I could relinquish my residency at that time for taxation
purposes while not affecting my citizenship at all. Kelly

Adult Australians who deliberately seek and acquire citizenship of another country
lose their Australian citizenship once they take up the other country's citizenship.
Australians who acquire another citizenship automatically rather than by taking some
action to acquire it do not lose their Australian citizenship.

Australian citizens may hold the citizenship of another country (dual citizenship) or
more than one other country (plural citizenship) in certain circumstances. Migrants
who become Australian citizens may retain their former citizenship if the laws of
their former country allow them to do so. Australian citizens who lost their
Australian citizenship by deliberately acquiring another citizenship and who resume
Australian citizenship may retain their other citizenship if the laws of that country
allow them to do so. Children may be entitled to both Australian citizenship and
another citizenship by birth, by virtue of their parent's citizenship. Australian
citizens who acquire the citizenship of another country automatically through the
legislation of that country, for example by marriage.

>

[usenetquote2]> > Australia rescinds citizenship of Australians if they immigrate to the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > without the consent of the immigrant? Wow, that's harsh! Also[/usenetquote2]
something
[usenetquote2]> > I'd like to know about, as my fiance is Australian and most assuredly[/usenetquote2]
does
[usenetquote2]> > not wish to give up his Australian citizenship. Can you point me[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > where I might learn more about this? Thanks very much.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.