Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Would it be safer for me to just cancel my B2 visa interview?

Would it be safer for me to just cancel my B2 visa interview?

Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:59 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would it be safer for me to just cancel my B2 visa interview?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think that will work. The visa is still a B2 visitor visa. Making it single entry doesn't change anything, most are normally given for 10-year validity, multiple entry unless you have a criminal history.

It's not up to the ConOff how long the applicant can stay in the USA, that's up to the POE officer at entry.

Even if the OP somehow gets a single entry B2 visa, valid only for 3 months, that just means the OP has to start his trip within those 3 months. At the US POE, the officer could still grant a 6-month stay in the USA.

Rene
The point is not to use it, a B2 valid only the next day, before the passport is even returned would be fine, the point is to not have a visa denial.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think that will work. The visa is still a B2 visitor visa. Making it single entry doesn't change anything, most are normally given for 10-year validity, multiple entry unless you have a criminal history.

It's not up to the ConOff how long the applicant can stay in the USA, that's up to the POE officer at entry.

Even if the OP somehow gets a single entry B2 visa, valid only for 3 months, that just means the OP has to start his trip within those 3 months. At the US POE, the officer could still grant a 6-month stay in the USA.

Rene
I am way out of my league here as I know nothing about visas. What I was saying is at the interview explain that you just want a 90 day tourist visa as something has come up and you don't need the visa you applied for but didn't know how to reverse process as this was the first time you ever applied etc, etc.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
What I was saying is at the interview explain that you just want a 90 day tourist visa...
There isn't a 90 day tourist visa... that's the problem - and there is no actual visa for the VWP.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2015, 10:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I am way out of my league here as I know nothing about visas. What I was saying is at the interview explain that you just want a 90 day tourist visa as something has come up and you don't need the visa you applied for but didn't know how to reverse process as this was the first time you ever applied etc, etc.
I understood what you meant, but there's no such thing as a 90 day tourist visa. It's either the B2 (and all it implies), or its no visa (travel on the VWP).

Explaining that you changed your mind does no good, because the application was for a B2 Visa. That application will either get approved as is, or denied.

You can't change a visa application into something else, you can only receive an approval or denial for the original application.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2015, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
There have been a couple of people who've reported here fairly recently that they did get a B-2 in similar circumstances to the OP, so it's certainly worth a try at least.

The anecdotal evidence that often comes up is that when these sort of applicants get denied, they usually don't even get a chance to provide any supporting evidence such as described in the first post above, and it appears that the ConOff has made up his/her mind before even seeing the applicant.

I've never had need to apply for a non-immigrant visa myself, but if there's any mechanism to upload scans of such evidence before going to the interview, so that there is a chance the ConOff will see them and take them into account, I'd say that's worth doing.
Such a mechanism does exist. Visa applicants are asked to scan and email all supporting documentation in advance of the interview.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Ktmsxf350 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jodiee182
I applied for a B2 visa to go stay in the states for 6 months, to spend some time with family and friends. I could go for 3 months but I'm not back at uni until January and thought this would be a good opportunity to chill out and travel. I hastily applied for a B2 visa, without proper research, and have my interview next month. After looking in to it all I was wondering if it would be better for me just to cancel the interview and go for the 3month?

For the interview I planned on taking:
  • a letter from my work stating that I would be starting back in 6 months, it is only a supermarket though so not really a 'career'
  • a letter from my university advisor stating that I would be returning in January to complete my masters program
  • occupations and addresses for all friends and family I would be visiting
  • bank statements and proof of funds

I am only 23 years old and still live at home, so no dependents and no mortgage etc. Would it just be safer for me to cancel and go on the VWP? Also (possibly a silly question), does cancelling the interview count as being 'denied visa'?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Also forgot to mention, last year I stayed for the full 90 days on the VWP, would that make a difference?
Hi, I had my interview last month at London for a b-2 visa which I was approved. I am also 23 years old and live at home with my family still. I've also just recently got back from California in March where I did 87 days from Christmas on a ESTA. I really wouldn't worry if I was you I was in the exact same position as you I was stressing I would get denied and wouldn't be able to go! At your interview make sure you take all the right documents to begin with, all I took with me was a bank statement showing I had enough funds for the trip that I wouldn't need to work. Basically all you need to prove to the officer at the interview is that your not going to leave your country to immigrate there and that your not going to be working. Be very straight with your answers and look them in the eye. My interview wasn't more then 5 minutes and I had my passport back a week later. Hope this helps you out