Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Would I qualify for a US E2 Business Visa?

Would I qualify for a US E2 Business Visa?

Old May 6th 2009, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

JoeUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would I qualify for a US E2 Business Visa?

Hi everyone

I’m a qualified solicitor running a business providing online probate services in the United Kingdom. My business is run via the internet and currently has sales of over £100k with a net profit of approx £80k. I currently operate via a UK limited company.

My wife and I would like to move to the US but don’t have any family members living over there. As I'm already self-employed I’m looking into the E2 Business Visa as a possible solution.

Can anyone advise whether it would be possible for me to relocate my company over to the US or sell my shares in my Ltd co to a US LLC or US Inc and obtain a Visa this way? My business is gained and conducted solely via email and the internet and therefore the time difference would not be a problem. I would be willing to a lease an office in the US to run the business from and also look to take on some US staff if this helped the application.

If anyone is able to offer any advice I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Joe
Old May 6th 2009, 12:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I qualify for a US E2 Business Visa?

Originally Posted by JoeUK
Hi everyone

I’m a qualified solicitor running a business providing online probate services in the United Kingdom. My business is run via the internet and currently has sales of over £100k with a net profit of approx £80k. I currently operate via a UK limited company.

My wife and I would like to move to the US but don’t have any family members living over there. As I'm already self-employed I’m looking into the E2 Business Visa as a possible solution.

Can anyone advise whether it would be possible for me to relocate my company over to the US or sell my shares in my Ltd co to a US LLC or US Inc and obtain a Visa this way? My business is gained and conducted solely via email and the internet and therefore the time difference would not be a problem. I would be willing to a lease an office in the US to run the business from and also look to take on some US staff if this helped the application.

If anyone is able to offer any advice I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Joe
Are you saying you want to run the same business from the US ...

If so ..I doubt that would fly.. taking on US staff is a requisite

good E-2 FAQ here
http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Old May 6th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ray

Thank you for your reply and the weblink.

Yes, I'd basically move the UK business over to the US. The company would become a US company however, and therefore all taxes would be paid over to the US IRS/State and not the UK HMRC. I would also look to expand my offerings to service US clients and businesses.

Sounds nice in theory (in my head at least) but not sure whether this would be within the E2 restrictions?
Old May 6th 2009, 1:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeUK
Hi Ray

Thank you for your reply and the weblink.

Yes, I'd basically move the UK business over to the US. The company would become a US company however, and therefore all taxes would be paid over to the US IRS/State and not the UK HMRC. I would also look to expand my offerings to service US clients and businesses.

Sounds nice in theory (in my head at least) but not sure whether this would be within the E2 restrictions?
Not exactly a shortage of will writing companies in the US The US tax payment is a given ...I just don't feel you could convince the consulate about that type of business ... but I could be wrong ..
Old May 6th 2009, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Again many thanks for the reply.

I see the problem and will enquire further. Agree it's not looking promising though.