Worried I Might Be Denied Entry

Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

amayana will become famous soon enoughamayana will become famous soon enough
Default Worried I Might Be Denied Entry

Dear all,

I'm new to this forum. I read through some relevant threads but decided to register to find out if I actually need to be worried at all.

I'm actually not British but I study in London (currently in my 2nd year). I have a Spanish passport but I was born in Luxembourg.
In my first year at university I fell in love with an exchange student and, well, he's American. He went back to the US last May. We've been a couple for slightly over a year and I've visited him several times.

I visited him and his family the first time on 5th July 2012. I stayed 2 weeks and my interview with CBP at Chicago O'hare Airport when I arrived was quick and easy. I was honest and told them I was visiting my boyfriend.

My second visit was on the 25th August 2012 and I stayed 10 days. I was visiting him at university at this stage. The CBP officer at O'hare only asked me who I was visiting and for how long. I was literally there for 1 minute.

My third visit was in November for Thanksgiving so a considerable time after my previous visit. I stayed 8 days but this time I stayed at a hotel in Chicago because I was meeting up with my boyfriend, which the CBP officer found odd. As always I was honest but he was very rude and honestly made me a bit nervous but he still let me through.

My fourth visit was in February for 13 days. I was staying at my boyfriend's university again. The CBP asked for my itinerary and some questions on the nature of my relationship but it was easy and painfree. She was very nice.

Now, I'm going to visit my boyfriend at his university again for 10 days on this coming Monday.
I was never worried about being denied entry but I was curious so googled it. And stupidly enough I'm nervous as hell now after reading a couple of horror stories. I'm scared they will put me on the next plane back when I get there on Monday. I obviously live in London at the moment due to my studies so all my ties are here and not in Luxembourg. I'm renting a house and I obviously plan on finishing my studies. I'm going to bring my student ID, some cash, credit/debit cards and itinerary. Do you think I should bring something else just in case? What kind of documents would you suggest I bring other than the ones I mentioned?

I just want someone to calm me down a bit as I'm worried my nervousness will make them question me. I have no intention to stay in the US and definitely no intention to get married. I'm way too young and so is my boyfriend and on top of that we're in the middle of our studies. Also, I'm travelling on a VWP that I applied for in July.

Last edited by amayana; Mar 23rd 2013 at 11:51 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried I Might Be Denied Entry

Originally Posted by amayana
I'm nervous as hell now after reading a couple of horror stories.
I suggest you stop reading those stories - they aren't good for your health. For every horror story you read about, there are - literally - thousands of folks who have no problems whatsoever. You've had no problems for longer than you've had any issues.

I'm scared they will put me on the next plane back when I get there on Monday.
You face that possibility every time you enter. That said, I seriously doubt you'll have any issues. Why? Because you've not done anything wrong, and you have always left on time.

I obviously live in London at the moment due to my studies so all my ties are here and not in Luxembourg.
You aren't required to show ties to your home country... you're required to show ties to where you live.

Ian
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amayana
Dear all,

I'm new to this forum. I read through some relevant threads but decided to register to find out if I actually need to be worried at all.

I'm actually not British but I study in London (currently in my 2nd year). I have a Spanish passport but I was born in Luxembourg.
In my first year at university I fell in love with an exchange student and, well, he's American. He went back to the US last May. We've been a couple for slightly over a year and I've visited him several times.

I visited him and his family the first time on 5th July 2012. I stayed 2 weeks and my interview with CBP at Chicago O'hare Airport when I arrived was quick and easy. I was honest and told them I was visiting my boyfriend.

My second visit was on the 25th August 2012 and I stayed 10 days. I was visiting him at university at this stage. The CBP officer at O'hare only asked me who I was visiting and for how long. I was literally there for 1 minute.

My third visit was in November for Thanksgiving so a considerable time after my previous visit. I stayed 8 days but this time I stayed at a hotel in Chicago because I was meeting up with my boyfriend, which the CBP officer found odd. As always I was honest but he was very rude and honestly made me a bit nervous but he still let me through.

My fourth visit was in February for 13 days. I was staying at my boyfriend's university again. The CBP asked for my itinerary and some questions on the nature of my relationship but it was easy and painfree. She was very nice.

Now, I'm going to visit my boyfriend at his university again for 10 days on this coming Monday.
I was never worried about being denied entry but I was curious so googled it. And stupidly enough I'm nervous as hell now after reading a couple of horror stories. I'm scared they will put me on the next plane back when I get there on Monday. I obviously live in London at the moment due to my studies so all my ties are here and not in Luxembourg. I'm renting a house and I obviously plan on finishing my studies. I'm going to bring my student ID, some cash, credit/debit cards and itinerary. Do you think I should bring something else just in case? What kind of documents would you suggest I bring other than the ones I mentioned?

I just want someone to calm me down a bit as I'm worried my nervousness will make them question me. I have no intention to stay in the US and definitely no intention to get married. I'm way too young and so is my boyfriend and on top of that we're in the middle of our studies. Also, I'm travelling on a VWP that I applied for in July.
I always get nervous going through immigration, I get nervous coming back to Heathrow and I'm British! They are trained to recognise those who are nervous for legit reasons and those that aren't so don't worry about it.

As Ian said, you've done nothing wrong, you are within the law so relax. If you continue to go to the USA then you'll get used to the pattern of questions to the point where it is second nature.

Good luck!
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

I agree, you should be fine! But your student ID is definitely a good thing to have in your handbag to be able to show them if they question you. Good luck! Let us know what happens. And have fun!
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Your pattern of visits sounds very similar to mine when I was visiting my girlfriend, now my wife, when I first knew her and she was a student in the US. Now admittedly this was quite a long time ago but I never had any problems at the POE and I got a definite impression that it got easier as I built up a substantial history of fairly short (2-3 weeks max) visits usually with a few months in between. I think I fit the sort of profile they'd want to see that shows someone with strong ties outside the US and a reason to go home, and it looks to me that you're building up a similar good profile too.

Good luck, but I doubt you'll need it!
Old Mar 24th 2013, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably going to be fine. If you are so worried, next time you could go through Dublin or Shannon and clear US immigration right there. That way you remove any worry from the actual flight.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

More to the point, you are required to show that you will leave the USA when you have accomplished the purpose of your visit. Where you go is not particularly important, just that you will leave. However, having someplace specific to go to, and good reasons to go there, will strengthen your assertion that you will leave.

My sense is that you are worrying needlessly. The reception you receive at the POE will depend on the particular CBP officer who inspects you - some may ask more questions and give you a harder time than others - but there doesn't seem to be any reason in your history or your intentions for this next visit, as you have related it, that would cause you to be denied entry.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You aren't required to show ties to your home country... you're required to show ties to where you live.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

remember_me is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been going in and out of the US for a number of years, and now am on a visa but still have a little knot in my stomach every time i wait in the line and get "the signal", even though I have no reason to feel this way.

Before my visa, the only remarkable event at the CBP inspection was this guy asking me, with no many short visits was I getting enough time to see places

These guys are good at what they do, they will see if you are being honest - yes sometimes you will get the guy that is in a bad mood, but your pattern of visits (and leaving on time) will not raise any flags in their eyes.

And as mentioned, if you feel this way a lot, perhaps going through Dublin or Shannon is the way to go - I have always found them (next to the people in San Francisco) to be the friendliest and most easy going.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by remember_me
And as mentioned, if you feel this way a lot, perhaps going through Dublin or Shannon is the way to go - I have always found them (next to the people in San Francisco) to be the friendliest and most easy going.
Agreed. I had a nice chat with the POE officer last time I travelled through DUB. Apparently they are stationed in Ireland for two years at a time.

I think the absolute nicest and most relaxed CBP officer I ever encountered was at the pre-clearance at Nassau in the Bahamas. I think the climate there agrees with them.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

I usually try to line up where there are hispanic looking officers, rather than white (if possible) in Miami as I find them nicer... Sorry for this reverse racism and it might not be true, it's just my perception.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 6:17 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You are probably going to be fine. If you are so worried, next time you could go through Dublin or Shannon and clear US immigration right there. That way you remove any worry from the actual flight.
That is not strictly true is it? If you get sent for additional screening you might miss the flight. A lot is riding any flight from english airport to dublin getting in one time to catch the connecting flight. If that is late you might have all sorts of problems. Unless you get a separate flight and overnight but that will add more money to the trip. I looked at it for my flight and was put of by the 1 hour and 40 mins to clear irish and american immigration that seemed like i would be cutting things a little bit fine. It also limits the airlines you can choose.

Last edited by customsquestion; Mar 24th 2013 at 6:21 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by customsquestion
That is not strictly true is it? If you get sent for additional screening you might miss the flight. A lot is riding any flight from english airport to dublin getting in one time to catch the connecting flight. If that is late you might have all sorts of problems. Unless you get a separate flight and overnight but that will add more money to the trip. I looked at it for my flight and was put of by the 1 hour and 40 mins to clear irish and american immigration that seemed like i would be cutting things a little bit fine. It also limits the airlines you can choose.
I've been through DUB a couple of times now with Aer Lingus and they do allow a good long time to process pre-clearance. I have seen it posted a couple of times here that pre-clearance might be more willing to turn people around than POEs actually in the USA as they don't have to arrange detention and placement on a return flight, but I've not seen this assertion actually backed up woth evidence, either statistical or anecdotal.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

The last few times I have travelled back and forth between Canada on my B1 have been interesting. If you intend to go to Canada and return to the USA you don't have to give up your I-94, you hang onto it and they "readmit" you into the USA.

I've been really grilled at the POE in Toronto but fortunately never referred to secondary.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

amayana will become famous soon enoughamayana will become famous soon enough

Little update:
I am in Iowa which means I was not sent back, haha! The officer had a good sense of humour which helped me be less nervous and he just asked me where I was going. He was intrigued about me having a boyfriend here in the US but he didn't ask much about it. I would consider going through Dublin or Shannon but I had a connecting flight from Chicago so I didn't want to do that.

And in Chicago at least you don't decide which officer you're going to be interviewed by. Especially not if there are lots of people... There are people who tell you which lane to go to.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well done! I mean GOOD JOB!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.