Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Worried about the affidavit of support

Worried about the affidavit of support

Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about the affidavit of support

You've got enough evidence as it is, IMO.

Get the letter from your mum saying you can stay with them (that's what nailed it in my case - the ConOff took one look at my original, hand signed* letter from FIL and her next words were 'you are approved').

*Boldened for a reason

That together with the voter's registration, vehicle title in your name and of course your up to date tax returns, should easily put you over the top as far as domicile is concerned.

Letter from your bosses (present and future) would be belt and braces but I wouldn't bother. If the current boss doesn't mind then why not though.

I certainly wouldn't bother trying to show you haven't renewed your UK visa (how could you prove that anyway?).
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

castlez is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice! I plan on filing for the past 3 years in one go with the embassy in London. I just read your wiki page for doing just that and I'm so grateful. Thaaaank you.

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You've got enough evidence as it is, IMO.

Get the letter from your mum saying you can stay with them (that's what nailed it in my case - the ConOff took one look at my original, hand signed* letter from FIL and her next words were 'you are approved').

*Boldened for a reason

That together with the voter's registration, vehicle title in your name and of course your up to date tax returns, should easily put you over the top as far as domicile is concerned.

Letter from your bosses (present and future) would be belt and braces but I wouldn't bother. If the current boss doesn't mind then why not though.

I certainly wouldn't bother trying to show you haven't renewed your UK visa (how could you prove that anyway?).
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

No probs.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

BG36, I dont' want to nitpick but recent reports have been a lot different from your experience. I also don't recall offhand how long your wife was living outside the US, but you had a house on the market too, right?
I just want to point out that current reports have been that the COs are being more stringent than in the past.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know they are, but the OP still seems to be 'well endowed' with evidence with what she has.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Dec 15th 2009 at 11:31 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:58 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I know they are, but the OP still seems to be 'well endowed' with evidence with what she has.
Things do change, though. The CO called our domicile letter the best he'd ever seen, plus we just squeaked through on house equity as assets.

These days, from what I've read, the equity would be a non-starter and even the letter might be iffy...
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Hello again. We plan on acquiring as much 'evidence' for intent to domicile, especially after reading what Ginblossom & partner experienced in September.

I have another question: I have 4 emails from one of the congressmen in my home state, all of which are responses to emails that I'd sent over the years expressing areas of concern. I'm wondering if they are worth anything when it comes to the domicile issue.

I'm still unsure about my father's eligibility to act as a joint sponsor due to part of his income being disabled vet benefits. Since we have little saved, I think it'd be even better if we have 2 joint sponsors.

Thanks again for your contributions and advice. We really appreciate it!

Last edited by castlez; Dec 17th 2009 at 2:26 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by castlez
I have another question: I have 4 emails from one of the congressmen in my home state, all of which are responses to emails that I'd sent over the years expressing areas of concern. I'm wondering if they are worth anything when it comes to the domicile issue.
Certainly can't hurt to provide everything you can think of that might prove your intent.

I'm still unsure about my father's eligibility to act as a joint sponsor due to part of his income being disabled vet benefits. Since we have little saved, I think it'd be even better if we have 2 joint sponsors.
You cannot have 2 joint sponsors, unless there is more than 1 person immigrating. That is to say, one immigrant cannot have 2 joint sponsors. If there are 2 immigrants, then there can be 2 joint sponsors (one for each immigrant). You need ONE joint sponsor who is eligible and earns enough income for his household size plus the immigrant.

My father was a joint sponsor, and he used a combination of SS retirement benefits and US military retirement benefits. Both were acceptable. I'm not sure if Disabled Vet benefits are acceptable, but in my layman's opinion, I think they should be OK.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 17th 2009 at 2:47 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Oh oops, thanks for pointing that out, Rene!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Certainly can't hurt to provide everything you can think of that might prove your intent.

You cannot have 2 joint sponsors, unless there is more than 1 person immigrating. That is to say, one immigrant cannot have 2 joint sponsors. If there are 2 immigrants, then there can be 2 joint sponsors (one for each immigrant). You need ONE joint sponsor who is eligible and earns enough income for his household size plus the immigrant.

My father was a joint sponsor, and he used a combination of SS retirement benefits and US military retirement benefits. Both were acceptable. I'm not sure if Disabled Vet benefits are acceptable, but in my layman's opinion, I think they should be OK.

Rene
Old May 9th 2010, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Well, here we are... the interview is in a few days! A few things have changed since I last visited. We've managed to piece together a good bunch of evidence for the intent to domicile. I filed all of my taxes, put in my notice at work and we've notified the landlord that we're leaving. My husband has had a job offer in CA, and we have a few emails from landlords over there about rentals. I have a question, though. Will we need to change anything on the I-864 now that he has proof of a source of income in the US?

Thanks again for all of the advice... very excited/nervous about this week, but I think we'll be ok!
Old May 9th 2010, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

mattrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by castlez
Well, here we are... the interview is in a few days! A few things have changed since I last visited. We've managed to piece together a good bunch of evidence for the intent to domicile. I filed all of my taxes, put in my notice at work and we've notified the landlord that we're leaving. My husband has had a job offer in CA, and we have a few emails from landlords over there about rentals. I have a question, though. Will we need to change anything on the I-864 now that he has proof of a source of income in the US?

Thanks again for all of the advice... very excited/nervous about this week, but I think we'll be ok!
Hello everyone, I'm Mr castlez This place is a mine of useful info, I've found peoples interview reports particularly helpful in calming my nerves this last week, thanks.

I thought I'd come out of lurking to add that the job offer is from the US parent company of my current UK employer, so the source of income is ultimately remaining the same. I'm still waiting for a formal offer letter but I do have a pdf of a letter of "intent to make an offer, pending executive approval" from the VP of HR, stating salary, position, etc. Not the best evidence, but worth something perhaps...?
Old May 9th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

I think you asked way back when how I got on, it took a lot of work and effort to get resolved but I am now a US resident and have my Greencard.

To be honest, I think your letter of employment is almost worthless, but your other evidence ( not sure what other stuff you now have that is different from December onwards) that will be better.

Remember, it is also the ability to prove INTENT to reestablish domicile that matters as much, as people who also have already say gone out there and done it.

If you have been active in securing residence, then the voter's registration, vehicle title in your name and up to date tax returns go a long way in helping your case. The letter from the employer in and of itself will do you no favours but it may just add to the mix of things you are doing.

Finally, without making your nerves worse than they are, as has been said before many time, London right now has a big issue with domicile. Please do not worry if you get delayed. For us, it was like a meltdown issue and we thought it was all over. It isnt, and they will just want you to get more evidence. That can be done, and some times things will work out for the best. It is better for me that I got my visa later than I hoped to be honest.

I think you will be ok though, it sounds as if you have a lot of decent evidence. Good Luck and please come back on and tell us how you got on.
Old May 12th 2010, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

We did it! We were at the embassy for about 4 hours, and the interview was a breeze; the co said he'd reviewed all of our paperwork before talking to us, just asked a couple of casual questions and said we were good to go! California here we come

Thanks again for all the help everyone!
Old May 12th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

What excellent news. Well done. Which part of CA ?