British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Working in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/working-usa-682175/)

dbj1000 Aug 22nd 2010 11:06 am

Re: Working in the USA

While I understand that the big investment firms have historically recruited analysts from the Physics and Mathematics fields, I would still be surprised if they are looking for new graduates with only a first degree given the current economic climate. About half my research group in High Temperature Superconductivity in Cambridge got head-hunted by the investment banks back in the 90's, but these were researchers with PhD's who were the best of the best in the world in their field, and whose mathematical problem analysis skills were second to none.

dbj1000 Aug 22nd 2010 11:07 am

Oh, and let's not forget that it was the Quants had a big hand in getting us into the current economic mess in the first place! :eek:

chrisbeale Aug 22nd 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 8795175)
While I understand that the big investment firms have historically recruited analysts from the Physics and Mathematics fields, I would still be surprised if they are looking for new graduates with only a first degree given the current economic climate. About half my research group in High Temperature Superconductivity in Cambridge got head-hunted by the investment banks back in the 90's, but these were researchers with PhD's who were the best of the best in the world in their field, and whose mathematical problem analysis skills were second to none.

I'm not expecting to be a quant, far from it. It's not just those science grads who go into finance and I'm not wanting to be a trader or anywhere in front office. Not meaning to be rude, I know my chances in finance, I've had offers and conversations with IBs here after I did my BSc, I chose to persue another degree instead because I love doing it. My question was referring to doing it in the US. An offer for a graduate programme here isn't the most difficult thing in the world, an offer from a US program is very difficult since there is little justification for a visa. Entry level roles are hard to come by here since graduate programmes for large companies are now the norm, but finance companies do recruit outside of them I was asking what route is best to go if I want to do that in the US.

There are jobs that need people, whether or not there are many who need people to the extent of getting some fresh-faced grad from sunny England is a different matter. How to find out how desperate the companies are is hard, I'm not just looking in NYC. How to approach an application where I need a visa is something I don't know. If you're telling me that no company is going to bother, then I have to think again. Industry contacts help, but are not guaranteed in this climate - they have their own backs to look out for, but I will work them as much as I can if that is my only option to be in the US so soon.

So if it's take one of the jobs I can get here and then try my hand a few years down the line, I take your advice and I'm thankful, I'll put much more effort into securing something here first, somewhere that has an outfit in the US. But getting a job in finance as a physicist is easier than many think, much more so than for economists, especially if you're one of those physicists who can talk to people, we're a rare breed. And thanks to the earlier posts who suggested J1 work while doing my MSc or even my PhD if I choose to persue it.