Working in the USA

Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all
Default Working in the USA

Hello All

Just a bit of advice if you wouldn't mind!

I would like to move to the USA after I graduate. A coupld of reasons for this, firstly I love the US from what I've seen. It's a generalisation, but the cities I've been to, DC, Boston, NYC are the ones I'd like to live in, and all across the tri-state area too. I have an affinity with New York and it's been bugging me ever since I visited it - I want to try it out properly.
Secondly I think it would be an amazing thing to do and would look good on the CV. With regards to experiencing other cultures and all that, I'd rather live somewhere, earn money, pay taxes and do what the locals do as opposed to painting a school in Mozambique, as worthy as that is, it's not my cup of tea.

I graduated this Summer with a BSc in Physics with Astrophysics from York and I'm starting an MSc in Physics this academic year, it should last 12 months. How much does this really help me? The issue for me is knowing where to look for jobs with employers that are willing and able to sponsor me for H1-B. What I really want to be is a research analyst for a financial company, not the high paid trader banking jobs, but it's interesting work that I like the sound of, it's not (just) about the money for me. The other main option for physicists is defence, but that's restricted to citizens, understandably. I'm looking to work for the 3 years or so of the H1-B and maybe more.

I'm 21 (soon to be 22) and if I want to do this I don't want to try and get sent over by my British employer a few years down the line, I'll probably have ties here by then and kick myself for the rest of my days. But being employed as a graduate seems difficult, graduate program(me)s can hardly warrant a visa, so I'm looking at entry level roles. What do I do and when if I want to start work in September 2011? Is it simply a case of shooting off CVs to recruiters and specify that I'm looking for H1-B, then sit here and cross my fingers? Are there companies that would bite my hand off for someone who's done research in physics? (you never know!) Do I do this at the start of next year and hope to have applications for a visa ready by April? Does my MSc, being only one year and not a professional qualification actually count for anything?

Maybe this helps but it's not likely. My MSc supervisor is Canadian and has worked in the US for many years, obviously I shall be asking him for help/advice when it's appropriate. The degree is a research degree in a project led by scientists from JPL (NASA sub division) and CalTech. I should be producing one or two scientific papers in refereed journals before April.

Thanks all
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the USA

I've moved your post to the US Immigration and Visas forum; I never understand why it's so repellant to people!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Because I saw that and read Visas and then I was 50/50 on whether it was visas or general discussion. Then immigration popped into my eyes when it was moved. sorry
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:36 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Your chances of being sponsored by a company for an H1B as a new graduate are slim-to-none unless you're known in your field already (through publications, invited lectures etc.)

You have set yourself an extremely short timeline for living and working in the US, and it's not realistic. Your best bet is to get transferred through a company that you initially work for in the UK.

Alternatively, study for an advanced degree in the US and look to use that as a springboard to the US - once you're known in your field your options for a visa and/or permanent residency are fare greater.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:37 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and for the record I work in defense and I'm not a US Citizen... but you're right that there are many more hurdles for a non-citizen to be employed in this field.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbeale
Because I saw that and read Visas and then I was 50/50 on whether it was visas or general discussion. Then immigration popped into my eyes when it was moved. sorry
No problem, you sound very smart in your opening post! Welcome aboard.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. What can I say? I'm a man so I can't see things right in front of my eyes.

"Mum you said the sheets are in the cupboard, they're not"
"What about these ones right here?"
"They might do I suppose..."

And to brown nose a little more, your use of a semicolon me far happier than punctuation ever should. But this nose shall have to get very brown if I'm to end up where I want to be. A bit of luck, a lot of hard work and cashing in some favours should see me through!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

your use of a semicolon me far happier than punctuation ever should
stick around - you will fit right in ...
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:50 pm

Thanks. What can I say? I'm a man so I can't see things right in front of my eyes.

"Mum you said the sheets are in the cupboard, they're not"
"What about these ones right here?"
"They might do I suppose..."

And to brown nose a little more, your use of a semicolon me far happier than punctuation ever should. But this nose shall have to get very brown if I'm to end up where I want to be. A bit of luck, a lot of hard work and cashing in some favours should see me through!
karma for you.. finally a newb who knows who to suck up to!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

28000 posts, I took a punt. I call it being nice, it's an English thing that I hope to lose some day. My American friends require me to lose half of my vocabulary and mannerisms before they accept me as 'converted'.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:13 pm

28000 posts, I took a punt. I call it being nice, it's an English thing that I hope to lose some day. My American friends require me to lose half of my vocabulary and mannerisms before they accept me as 'converted'.
Don't forget changing your spelling, too...

I thought the Americans are considered 'nice'? What's that 'have a nice day' think all about then?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't forget changing your spelling, too...

I thought the Americans are considered 'nice'? What's that 'have a nice day' think all about then?
Thinking about it, I retract that statement, maybe my niceness is me becoming Americanized.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

What's that 'have a nice day' think all about then?
Depends on the context. I sometimes use it as a synonym for F U.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by discoviking
Depends on the context. I sometimes use it as a synonym for F U.
aha! You HAVE become Americanized then! (that's how we really mean it).

And did you see what I did there? I've become Briticized. I wrote 'think' instead of thing... yikes, not just Briticized but Cockneyized!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

aha! You HAVE become Americanized then! (that's how we really mean it).

And did you see what I did there? I've become Briticized. I wrote 'think' instead of thing... yikes, not just Briticized but Cockneyized!
After 26 years, I guess I have become Americanized finally. Resistance is Futile! You will be assimilated! And I thought the Borg were swedish.....

Yes, I noticed the 'think' - I thought it was just a typo.. Didn't realize it had a deeper meening....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.