working in the states

Old May 5th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough
Default working in the states

Hey guys this is kind of a vague and very open question. I'm moving to the states hopefully in a few months (through a k1 visa). I'm just wondering how easy or difficult expats found it to find work in the states. I'm currently a manager for the nhs but really dont have many qualifications as i've worked "through the ranks".
I dont mind starting again as i'm still in my twenties but I would love to hear peoples experiences of finding employment and staying in jobs, was the adjustment to working over there easy or hard?
As I said sorry if this is a bit general but it's something I've been a bit concerned about and thought you guys have already been through this.
As always, Thanks guys!
Old May 5th 2008, 9:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in the states

Depends on the State of course ....

Believe me... you will start at the bottom...
Old May 5th 2008, 9:25 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, it depends on the State.

the job market is non-existent here in Maine, so I work in a hotel with my law degree
Old May 5th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what you did in the NHS you might find your experience is highly valued. My husband worked in Finance for his local NHS trust once upon a time back in the UK and it was one of the things that swayed his IT job with his pharmaceutical employers over here despite it having been ages ago and not particularly relevant to the job they were hiring him for.
Sometimes you have to think outside the box.
Old May 5th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough

I'm a transport manager, but would imagine any of my transport qualifications will be invalid over there. I'm moving to nyc where supposedly their are jobs?
Old May 5th 2008, 9:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fogga4000
I'm a transport manager, but would imagine any of my transport qualifications will be invalid over there. I'm moving to nyc where supposedly their are jobs?
Big cities ...lots of jobs ...
even your driving licence is useless.. .you start again
Old May 5th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have to find ways to play up your experience and make it fit to the kinds of jobs you are going for. If your fiancée knows anyone in the recruitment industry over here they would be able to help you with that.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

it's all about contacts and how you word your resume...but contacts are the best way of getting something...
Old May 5th 2008, 11:06 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fogga4000
First work on your resume or CV as you call it. I have noticed that resumes in UK and Europe tend to be a bit different than here in the states and you may wnt to "Americanise it". I used to work as a recruiter in New York City. I would go to recruitment agencys that deal with your iield of expertise. You can also post your resume on monster.com and yahoo.com. I have had several people contact me from my resume being posted. Also there is a job site called craigslist on linewhich lists all sorts of jobs. Make sure you get the New York times as well. Look online at their classified section. Sunday is the big day for that. New York is a great city to live in by the way!
Old May 6th 2008, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 IT degrees and my first job was selling womans shoes in a department store. I got my break when I took $10 an hour help desk position to get my foot in the door. But then again, I live in Cleveland!