Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Work transfer to USA, want to bring girlfriend.

Work transfer to USA, want to bring girlfriend.

Old Sep 27th 2015, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Marcface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work transfer to USA, want to bring girlfriend.

My company is offering an internal transfer to the office in the States. It's likely they will apply for an L1 visa. I would like to take the opportunity just for a couple of years, but I also want my girlfriend to come with me. As far as I understand from reading online unless we're married it's impossible for her to come and be able to work.

She's very keen to come with me, but is concerned if she's out of work for that time she won't be employable when she returns to the UK.

Are there any other options?
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work transfer to USA, want to bring girlfriend.

Get married ? People do it all the time.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless she gets her own visa she can't work if she comes with you. If you live together I believe you can get a B2 co-habit visa but she can not work. Alternatively as you have mentioned getting married will give her L2 which once she arrives in the US she applies for permission to work and waits approximately 90 days to get it
Old Sep 27th 2015, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marcface
Are there any other options?
She has two options: 1) get married: she'll get a derivative L-2 visa and will be able to apply for work authorization; or 2) she gets a visa independently of yours, something that will allow her to work in the US.

I suggest that #1 is the easiest for her getting a visa and working in the US. If she's not keen on marriage, tell her that you'll get divorced when you return to the UK after the assignment is over.

No other option will allow her to work. As for her excuse about not being employable when she returns... that's just rubbish. People with skills are always employable.

Ian
Old Sep 27th 2015, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who knows what the future brings, you think 2 years but..
Old Sep 27th 2015, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Mazel tov!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She has two options: 1) get married: she'll get a derivative L-2 visa and will be able to apply for work authorization; or 2) she gets a visa independently of yours, something that will allow her to work in the US.

I suggest that #1 is the easiest for her getting a visa and working in the US. If she's not keen on marriage, tell her that you'll get divorced when you return to the UK after the assignment is over.

No other option will allow her to work. ....
If the girlfriend has a couple of hundred thousand dollars lying around she could get an E-2 and run her own business.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If the girlfriend has a couple of hundred thousand dollars lying around she could get an E-2 and run her own business.
Yup - that's certainly true! I think I covered that under #2!

Ian