Work Permit

Old Apr 29th 2002, 11:10 pm
Sharon Gainer

Default Work Permit

My fiance just arrived in America on Friday. I was under the impression that he would
receive a temporary permit to work at the airport, however, he did not. I'm not sure
what steps need to be taken for him to be legally able to work. We need him to find
employment as soon as possible. Does anyone know what we need to do to secure this?
We will be dealing with the INS office in Philadelphia. Thanks, Kelly

Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Permit

Originally posted by Sharon Gainer
My fiance just arrived in America on Friday. I was under the impression that he would
receive a temporary permit to work at the airport, however, he did not. I'm not sure
what steps need to be taken for him to be legally able to work. We need him to find
employment as soon as possible. Does anyone know what we need to do to secure this?
We will be dealing with the INS office in Philadelphia. Thanks, Kelly
Perhaps someone who also used your INS office can comment, but I used Dallas, about 6 months ago. Since 9/11 they have just about stopped issuing them at the POE now. I arrived on a K-1 visa just ONE DAY after they changed the rules at my local POE and stopped isuuing them - GRRRRRR - talk about bad timing!!

I really wish I had some advance warning of that as not having the stamp put my job search back about 8 weeks. I was so lucky that my new wife really *was* able to fulfill the support requirements, or we'd have been in some real bad trouble by now...

The delays in getting the 90 day EAD are at my local INS office an amazing, yes, you guessed it, 90 days! WOW!

I'd go for the one year EAD as soon as you can (like when you file for AOS the day after you get married), and put up with the 60 to 90 day wait. There 'aint much more anyone can do... except shout loudly at your congress-person (ours worked wonders on our behalf).

Brian.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:40 am
Mrtravel

Sharon Gainer wrote:
    >
    > My fiance just arrived in America on Friday. I was under the impression that he
    > would receive a temporary permit to work at the airport,

Why would he want to work at the PHL airport?

however, he
    > did not. I'm not sure what steps need to be taken for him to be legally able to
    > work. We need him to find employment as soon as possible. Does anyone know what we
    > need to do to secure this? We will be dealing with the INS office in Philadelphia.

You deal with the INS office in Philadelphia. He wants to get an EAD (Employment
Authorization Doc)

Old Apr 30th 2002, 1:40 am
Dabear?

Mr Travel think again what she said, lets put a couple of comas in there My fiance
just arrived in America on Friday. I was under the impression
    > that he would receive a temporary permit, to work, at the airport,

mrtravel wrote:

> Sharon Gainer wrote:
    > >
    > > My fiance just arrived in America on Friday. I was under the impression that he
    > > would receive a temporary permit to work at the airport,
    >
    > Why would he want to work at the PHL airport?
    >
    > however, he
    > > did not. I'm not sure what steps need to be taken for him to be legally able to
    > > work. We need him to find employment as soon as possible. Does anyone know what
    > > we need to do to secure this? We will be dealing with the INS office in
    > > Philadelphia.
    >
    > You deal with the INS office in Philadelphia. He wants to get an EAD (Employment
    > Authorization Doc)

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:10 am
Mrtravel

dabear® wrote:

> Mr Travel think again what she said, lets put a couple of comas in there My fiance
    > just arrived in America on Friday. I was under the impression
    > > that he would receive a temporary permit, to work, at the airport,

Are you saying you thought I was under the impression he wanted an airport job???

Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:40 am
Andy Platt

Covered by the FAQ in great detail:

http://www.k1faq.com/#5.3 (and 5.4, 5.5 ...)

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Sharon Gainer"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My fiance just arrived in America on Friday. I was under the impression that he
    > would receive a temporary permit to work at the airport, however,
he
    > did not. I'm not sure what steps need to be taken for him to be legally able to
    > work. We need him to find employment as soon as possible. Does anyone know what we
    > need to do to secure this? We will be dealing with
the
    > INS office in Philadelphia. Thanks, Kelly

Old Apr 30th 2002, 2:10 pm
Dabear?

yes

mrtravel wrote:

> dabear® wrote:
    >
    > > Mr Travel think again what she said, lets put a couple of comas in there My
    > > fiance just arrived in America on Friday. I was under the impression
    > > > that he would receive a temporary permit, to work, at the airport,
    >
    > Are you saying you thought I was under the impression he wanted an airport job???
    >
    >