Work/Family in US

Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Jbro87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work/Family in US

Hi Guys,

First post here so bear with me. I will try and give u as much detail as possible so that you will be able to provide with the best advice..

I am 24 years old and have been working as a qualified trader for a global company for a year in Dublin, but have always (and still do) harbour an ambition to live stateside. This is where it gets tricky..I have an aunt who has lived in the US for 25 years now and is recruitment manager of a large company based in florida. She has said she would willingly sponsor me to obtain a work visa and help out wherever she could, but would this be enough to put me in a position to apply for one? Im aware that on the work visas its usually immediate family only, but with her position in her role could she sponsor me as an employer? Also, its worth noting that the company i currently work for have just bought offices in San Fran, so this could be a viable option a fewq years down the line...just wondering which way you guys think is most realistic.

Appreciate any feedback, Cheers
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/Family in US

Hi and welcome to BE.

This part is incorrect: Im aware that on the work visas its usually immediate family only. With work visas, it's all about your education and qualifications, and whether it matches the job position and whether that position qualifies for a work visa. It has nothing to do with relatives or immediate family.

You are probably thinking of a family-based visa, where an Aunt is not an immediate family member, so can't sponsor you for a family-based visa.

SHE can't sponsor you directly for a work visa, but she can see if her company can do so. Hopefully it's a large company that has employed foreign workers before, and know how to go about it, but if not, your Aunt can consult with an immigration attorney who can explain the requirements of an H1B or other type of work visa, to see if you and the position qualify.

Transferring within your own company to San Francisco sounds like a better bet, as long as you meet the requirements to obtain an L1 transfer visa.

That gives you a couple of things to look into.

Rene
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/Family in US

You'll have a better shot at getting to Oz. They have points based immigration.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721830