Work Authorization Problems

Old Jun 9th 2002, 6:20 pm
Dennis

Default Work Authorization Problems

When I arrived in the US as a K-1 visa holder I sent in my application for the EAD
and got it returned by INS requesting proof of filing I-485. My understanding was
that as a K-1 visa holder I could recieve a 90 day temperary EAD. Is this true?

Was knocked back from getting an SSN, went in armed with some information to the
contrary and recieved one no sweat.

Am getting married on the 15th of June, my I-485 says that I need to provide copies
of my Marriage Certificate...now is that straight copies or certified copies? If they
mean certified, what is the best way to sort this out as quickly as possible.

My final question is this, Am I correct in believing that I file my AOS documents in
person and bring an EAD application form and fee with me and I should recieve it on
the day and it is valid for one year?

Thanks

Old Jun 9th 2002, 6:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Authorization Problems

Problem one: What category did you put for the temporary EAD? Sounds like you marked the category for the one year EAD and that is why it was returned.

Problem Two: Yes it means a certified copy of the marriage certificate. You can get that from the same place where you filed for the license if you can get the ofificiant to let you hand carry the signed marriage license in after the ceremony. If not, you have to wait until he/she files it and it is registered and copies sent to you.

Problem Three: That depends on the INS office you are using. Not all of them will allow to walk in the applications/petitions. If you have to mail it in, it might take up to 90 days to get the one year EAD. If you can walk it in, you might get it the same day, or you might not.

Where are you filing.

R
Old Jun 10th 2002, 5:20 am
Dennis

Default Re: Work Authorization Problems

I am filing in Charlotte, North Carolina, I wondered If I might have applied for the
wrong EAD, will have to check and see about that, don't have the documentation handy
at the moment....

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Problem one: What category did you put for the temporary EAD? Sounds like you
    > marked the category for the one year EAD and that is why it was returned.
    >
    > Problem Two: Yes it means a certified copy of the marriage certificate. You can
    > get that from the same place where you filed for the license if you can get the
    > ofificiant to let you hand carry the signed marriage license in after the
    > ceremony. If not, you have to wait until he/she files it and it is registered and
    > copies sent to you.
    >
    > Problem Three: That depends on the INS office you are using. Not all of them will
    > allow to walk in the applications/petitions. If you have to mail it in, it might
    > take up to 90 days to get the one year EAD. If you can walk it in, you might get it
    > the same day, or you might not.
    >
    > Where are you filing.
    >
    > R