Work Authorization denied!!

Old Sep 12th 2001, 6:08 am
Zulfiqar Ali

Hello, I am an International Student (full time). I filed work authorization last
year in August 2000 on the basis of economic hardship. After almot an year i.e. day
before yesterday I received a letter saying the I was denied because I did not
complete the graduation ( Optional Practical Training and time period for OPT is
already gone in the 1 year process of my application) Cann anyone give me some advise
on how to tell the INS that I filed work authorization for economic hardship and not
for Oprional Practical Training) What can be done in my case? Do I have to start the
process all over again??

Thanx for ur help in advance.

Old Sep 14th 2001, 6:24 pm
Digital_man

No motions to reopen on I-765s.

If he/she put (c)(3)(iii) in box #13 the service will as you say "clear things up"
but no need to file any MTR. The service will: change the code in the automated
system, approve the application if appropriate, print and mail an I-797 and EAD card.
It's only language, but an MTR shouldn't be filed by the applicant, nor will the
service need to formily reopen.

See: 8CFR Sec. 274a.13 Application for employment authorization.
(c) Denial of application. If the application is denied, the applicant shall be
notified in writing of the decision and the reasons for the denial. There shall
be no appeal from the denial of the application.

ca./Mrs. Zulfiqar Ali - do you or your DSO have a copy of the I-765 you filed? You or
the DSO can fax that copy, and a letter pointing out the services error, to the
office which adjudicated your application.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Wrong. There is no appeal for an I-765.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > You need to reapply and pay the fee.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > In box #13 make sure you notate (c)(3)(iii) not (c)(3)(i)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Sorry.[/usenetquote2]

>
[usenetquote2]> > > Zulfiqar Ali wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > I am an International Student (full time). I filed work[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > authorization last year in August 2000 on the basis of economic[/usenetquote2]
hardship.
[usenetquote2]> > > > After almot an year i.e. day before yesterday I received a letter[/usenetquote2]
saying the
[usenetquote2]> > > > I was denied because I did not complete the graduation ( Optional[/usenetquote2]
Practical
[usenetquote2]> > > > Training and time period for OPT is already gone in the 1 year[/usenetquote2]
process of my
[usenetquote2]> > > > application) Cann anyone give me some advise on how to tell the INS that I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > filed[/usenetquote2]
work
[usenetquote2]> > > > authorization for economic hardship and not for Oprional Practical[/usenetquote2]
Training)
[usenetquote2]> > > > What can be done in my case?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Someone -- probably not you -- must bring to the attention of INS that it has[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > made a mistake, and get INS to correct its mistake.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Do I have to start the process all over again??[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > No.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I suggest that you immediately enlist the help of your international office.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > You should meet with the head F-1 counselor. The school has procedures[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > available through the professional organization NAFSA: AIE for communicating[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > with the INS Service Center, which are not available to you as an individual.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > If the school's international office is very unsophisticated, it can seek the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > help of an expert within NAFSA. See[/usenetquote2]
http://www.nafsa.org/content/Profess...es/Immigration
[usenetquote2]> > AdvisingResources/CIPPRRmain.htm.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > If you simply can't get any help through the school, you should seek the help[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > of your Congressperson. Go to http://congress.nw.dc.us/rollcall/search.html,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > find the Member of the House of Representatives for the district in which you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > live, and call the local office. Ask to speak with a staff member in charge of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > immigration inquiries. Congressional offices have special access to INS Service[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Centers (and all other government agencies). Generally, Congressperson's staff[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > members can resolve an immigration problem where INS is clearly in the wrong[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > within about 2 weeks.[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 17th 2001, 12:31 am
Inon

I would suggest meeting your univ's International Students Advisor/Director and
explain the situation. Get a letter (addressed to INS) and have it resolved.

International Students Advisor's part helps a lot.