work??

Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work??

Just FYI - my husband came thru JFK in July of 2003 and he got his EAD stamp on the back of his I-94 card.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by crg14624
JFK hasn't issued work authorization stamps to K visa holders for years. They direct the applicant to the USCIS office responsible for their case.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I think Noorah101's fiance did as well...not too long ago.
Yes, that's correct. He got his 90-day temp work authorization stamp at JFK in April 2004.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
JFK hasn't issued work authorization stamps to K visa holders for years. They direct the applicant to the USCIS office responsible for their case.

As others have pointed out your information is not correct.

JFK is still giving the 90 day work authorization stamp to K-1 visaholders.

Your statement is correct for K-3 visaholders. They will not the stamp as they are not qualified for the stamp.

Rete
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alistair
I see a lot of advice dispensed on here about people not working for months after arriving, and I know that when I arrived we wanted to get straight on with life, buy a house etc. rather than struggling by on one income for 6 months.

I understood that a K1 visa entitled me to work from day 1, but when I arrived in January this year, I waited a month for everything to be entered into the various databases, then went to my local USCIS office (Newark, NJ) and applied for an EAD card. It was a long and boring day, but eventually they gave me a 90 day card - This card was valid for a full 90 days, which was about a month after the K1 expired.
Then the Newark office breached the regulations in your case. You were only entitled to an EAD good for the 90 days of your K-1 visa not for an additional month after its expiration. Were you lucky? Perhaps, or then again, perhaps not since the EAd was invalid and your working was illegal.

As soon as we got married, I applied for a renewal, and last week I got a 1 year card, which was dated from the day my 90 day card expired. From this, it looks to me like you should be okay to work as long as you get a 90 day card at the local office before you get married, and apply for renewal before it expires. I am not a lawyer or anything - this is just my personal experience.
You cannot renew a temporary EAD. You have to file for a new EAD as if you never had one before and the code for the application is (c)(9)

By the way, getting the 90 day card also seemed to speed up the Social Security process too - I got my SS card about 10 days after the EAD card.
The physical card helps but the SSA will not give you a card unless your status is in the SAVE system which yours apparently was.

Hope you like your job and are looking for that you house you want to buy.

Rete
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

JJ&ST is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=wesleygolf]My fiancee started working already even without EAD. She came over on a K-1 visa.

Hi,

Its very interesting to read that your fiancee has started work already without EAD. will that not affect her in any way?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
Then the Newark office breached the regulations in your case. You were only entitled to an EAD good for the 90 days of your K-1 visa not for an additional month after its expiration. Were you lucky? Perhaps, or then again, perhaps not since the EAd was invalid and your working was illegal.

You cannot renew a temporary EAD. You have to file for a new EAD as if you never had one before and the code for the application is (c)(9)

The physical card helps but the SSA will not give you a card unless your status is in the SAVE system which yours apparently was.

Hope you like your job and are looking for that you house you want to buy.

Rete
Seems like people that came in fiancee visa get their EAD approved much quicker than people who file for AOS while in the US and that sucks
Old Aug 15th 2004, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I, Leslie66 aka the foulmouthed trash, am willing to testify in a court of law that there has never, ever, and I mean never, in the history of the South, been a hillbilly named Ian.
I'm actually thinking of changing my name to Billy Ray Bob!

Billy Ray