Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Will INS return what we send as proof?

Will INS return what we send as proof?

Old Feb 19th 2001, 11:59 pm
billypilgrim

I'm in the process of gathering proof of relationship for the I-129F. I'm getting photos,
copies of phone bills, e-mails, plane tickets, credit card statements, etc. My question is
this: If I send one or two cards (they're great since they have my full name and address
as well as his, and postmarks showing the date), will I get them back when Shawn goes for
his K-1 interview, or will Immigration keep them? I could send copies, but since so much
of what I'm submitting is copies, I'd like to send one or two things that are originals
and obviously can't be tampered with as a back-up. I'd hate to think of precious things
being lost to me forever....

Beth

Old Feb 20th 2001, 1:14 am
MoonRose13

Dear Beth,

<< I'm in the process of gathering proof of relationship for the I-129F. I'm getting
photos, copies of phone bills, e-mails, plane tickets, credit card statements, etc. My
question is this: If I send one or two cards (they're great since they have my full name
and address as well as his, and postmarks showing the date), will I get them back when
Shawn goes for his K-1 interview, or will Immigration keep them? I could send copies, but
since so much of what I'm submitting is copies, I'd like to send one or two things that
are originals and obviously can't be tampered with as a back-up. I'd hate to think of
precious things being lost to me forever....>>

I would say it is best to only send copies. Never send originals through the mail. You
never know what can happen. Now we were required to bring in originals when we brought in
documents to the Embassy. But we were there and could be sure our documents were safe. The
Embassy just looked at them and made copies. The originals were given back to us. Is it
possible you can take your originals into immigration?

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Old Feb 20th 2001, 2:14 am
billypilgrim

----------

> Dear Beth,
>
> << I'm in the process of gathering proof of relationship for the I-129F. I'm getting
> photos, copies of phone bills, e-mails, plane tickets, credit card statements, etc. My
> question is this: If I send one or two cards (they're great since they have my full name
> and address as well as his, and postmarks showing the date), will I get them back when
> Shawn goes for his K-1 interview, or will Immigration keep them? I could send copies,
> but since so much of what I'm submitting is copies, I'd like to send one or two things
> that are originals and obviously can't be tampered with as a back-up. I'd hate to think
> of precious things being lost to me forever....>>
>
> I would say it is best to only send copies. Never send originals through the mail. You
> never know what can happen. Now we were required to bring in originals when we brought
> in documents to the Embassy. But we were there and could be sure our documents were
> safe. The Embassy just looked at them and made copies. The originals were given back to
> us. Is it possible you can
take
> your originals into immigration?
>
> Love and Blessed Be, Theresa
>

----------

>Newsgroups: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Subject: Re: Will INS return what we send as
>proof? Date: Mon, Feb 19, 2001, 9:14 PM
>

> Dear Beth,
>
> << I'm in the process of gathering proof of relationship for the I-129F. I'm getting
> photos, copies of phone bills, e-mails, plane tickets, credit card statements, etc. My
> question is this: If I send one or two cards (they're great since they have my full name
> and address as well as his, and postmarks showing the date), will I get them back when
> Shawn goes for his K-1 interview, or will Immigration keep them? I could send copies,
> but since so much of what I'm submitting is copies, I'd like to send one or two things
> that are originals and obviously can't be tampered with as a back-up. I'd hate to think
> of precious things being lost to me forever....>>
>
> I would say it is best to only send copies. Never send originals through the mail. You
> never know what can happen. Now we were required to bring in originals when we brought
> in documents to the Embassy. But we were there and could be sure our documents were
> safe. The Embassy just looked at them and made copies. The originals were given back to
> us. Is it possible you can
take
> your originals into immigration?
>
> Love and Blessed Be, Theresa
>
I won't be there for the interview (I wish I could be, but a relatively new job means I
get little time off work, and it's either go over for the interview or have a
honeymoon....). However, hopefully Shawn will be here between now and when the I-129F is
filed, so I'll send stuff back with him. Thanks for the tip and the good wishes.

Beth

Old Feb 20th 2001, 2:41 am
Nalu

I would just send copies, in case the INS needs to see the originals, they will tell you
to bring them at a later date.

Old Feb 20th 2001, 12:30 pm
RJLiles

Send copies to INS. When it comes time for the interview sent copies and the originals to
your fiancé(e). They can show the Consulate/Embassy the originals and offer a copy if
they want it.

Also don't send letter or cards unless you do not mind INS reading your personal things
and sharing them with their co-workers. Send a copy of the envelope showing postmark,
stamp, and address instead.

Old Feb 20th 2001, 11:07 pm
billypilgrim

----------

> Send copies to INS. When it comes time for the interview sent copies and the originals
> to your fiancé(e). They can show the Consulate/Embassy the originals and offer a copy if
> they want it.
>
> Also don't send letter or cards unless you do not mind INS reading your personal things
> and sharing them with their co-workers. Send a copy of the envelope showing postmark,
> stamp, and address instead.
>
That's good advice. Thanks. I've had a tough time finding a handful of "appropriate"
e-mails. I wanted a few, since early on that was so much of our contact (and one or
two show "proof of intent" by discussing marriage and the like), but I didn't want
them to see anything too personal. I guess it's a fine line: showing proof of
relationship without showing too much detail about the relationship itself. I don't
fancy the thought of them passing things around and giggling about them....

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 3:03 pm
Diane M

I put a copy of Eddie's proposal (from DejaNews) into the packet. It may have been a bit
odd to propose on-line - but that was where we met. I've read (can't cite the source) that
the INS believes that 50% of the marriages between U.S. citizens and immigrants are for
immigration purposes only. This makes them a tad suspicious of each application. I figure
that we have to show them that we're real. The more evidence they have of our
relationship, the more likely they are to approve us.

Obviously drowning them in letters wouldn't be appropriate, but one or two selected notes
- maybe you could find a few that weren't too mushy that also contained relevant into -
wouldn't hurt. They probably don't have too much time to giggle, but maybe putting a
smile on their faces would pay off?

This is just my opinion, of course, I understand that a lot of people have sent very
little evidence of relationship and even just one letter of intent to marry ( from the
U.S. citizen, instead of both) and still been cleared. But - can't hurt, might help.

And definitely send copies. Originals can be faked too, if you really think about it.
Even photographs. I think we have to depend on the quality of what we send, not that
it's original.

Diane M.

> ----------
>
>
> > Send copies to INS. When it comes time for the interview sent copies and the originals
> > to your fiancé(e). They can show the Consulate/Embassy the originals and offer a copy
> > if they want it.
> >
> > Also don't send letter or cards unless you do not mind INS reading your personal
> > things and sharing them with their co-workers. Send a copy of the envelope showing
> > postmark, stamp, and address instead.
> >
> That's good advice. Thanks. I've had a tough time finding a handful of "appropriate"
> e-mails. I wanted a few, since early on that was so much of our contact (and one or
> two show "proof of intent" by discussing marriage and the like), but I didn't want
> them to see anything too personal. I guess it's a fine line: showing proof of
> relationship without showing too much detail about the relationship itself. I don't
> fancy the thought of them passing things around and giggling about them....

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 2:41 am
billypilgrim

What about copies of phone bills? They're quite pricey every month. I know there's no
definitive answer on this, but would it be ok to send only, say, every 3rd month or so to
show the length of our contact (over two years now), or if there are missing bills would
they say "how come you talked in April and July, but not in May and June?" I don't want to
send them a box full of info, but I'd hate to not send enough and cause problems and
unnecessary questions.

I feel like I'm starting to get a bit hyper-sensitivie about this whole thing, but it's
far and away the most important thing I've ever done in my life, and I don't want to
mess it up.

----------

>Newsgroups: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Subject: Re: Will INS return what we send as
>proof? Date: Thu, Feb 22, 2001, 11:03 AM
>

> I put a copy of Eddie's proposal (from DejaNews) into the packet. It may have
been a bit
> odd to propose on-line - but that was where we met. I've read (can't cite the
source)
> that the INS believes that 50% of the marriages between U.S. citizens and
immigrants are
> for immigration purposes only. This makes them a tad suspicious of each
application. I
> figure that we have to show them that we're real. The more evidence they have
of our
> relationship, the more likely they are to approve us.
>
> Obviously drowning them in letters wouldn't be appropriate, but one or two
selected notes
> - maybe you could find a few that weren't too mushy that also contained
relevant into -
> wouldn't hurt. They probably don't have too much time to giggle, but maybe
putting a
> smile on their faces would pay off?
>
> This is just my opinion, of course, I understand that a lot of people have
sent very
> little evidence of relationship and even just one letter of intent to marry (
from the
> U.S. citizen, instead of both) and still been cleared. But - can't hurt,
might help.
>
> And definitely send copies. Originals can be faked too, if you really think
about it.
> Even photographs. I think we have to depend on the quality of what we send,
not that it's
> original.
>
> Diane M.
>

>
>> ----------
>>
>>
>> > Send copies to INS. When it comes time for the interview sent copies and the
>> > originals to your fiancé(e). They can show the Consulate/Embassy the originals and
>> > offer a copy if they want it.
>> >
>> > Also don't send letter or cards unless you do not mind INS reading your personal
>> > things and sharing them with their co-workers. Send a copy of the envelope showing
>> > postmark, stamp, and address instead.
>> >
>> That's good advice. Thanks. I've had a tough time finding a handful of
>> "appropriate" e-mails. I wanted a few, since early on that was so much of our
>> contact (and one or two show "proof of intent" by discussing marriage and the
>> like), but I didn't want them to see anything too personal. I guess it's a fine
>> line: showing proof of relationship without showing too much detail about the
>> relationship itself. I don't fancy the thought of them passing things around and
>> giggling about them....

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 3:29 am
Alvena Ferreira

You are over-reacting...send a few samples, and allude to this in your cover
letter. alvena

>
> What about copies of phone bills? They're quite pricey every month. I know there's no
> definitive answer on this, but would it be ok to send only, say, every 3rd month or so
> to show the length of our contact (over two years now), or if there are missing bills
> would they say "how come you talked in April and July, but not in May and June?" I don't
> want to send them a box full of info, but I'd hate to not send enough and cause problems
> and unnecessary questions.
>
> I feel like I'm starting to get a bit hyper-sensitivie about this whole thing, but it's
> far and away the most important thing I've ever done in my life, and I don't want to
> mess it up.
>
> ----------

> >Newsgroups: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Subject: Re: Will INS return what we send as
> >proof? Date: Thu, Feb 22, 2001, 11:03 AM
> >
>
> > I put a copy of Eddie's proposal (from DejaNews) into the packet. It may have
> been a bit
> > odd to propose on-line - but that was where we met. I've read (can't cite the
> source)
> > that the INS believes that 50% of the marriages between U.S. citizens and
> immigrants are
> > for immigration purposes only. This makes them a tad suspicious of each
> application. I
> > figure that we have to show them that we're real. The more evidence they have
> of our
> > relationship, the more likely they are to approve us.
> >
> > Obviously drowning them in letters wouldn't be appropriate, but one or two
> selected notes
> > - maybe you could find a few that weren't too mushy that also contained
> relevant into -
> > wouldn't hurt. They probably don't have too much time to giggle, but maybe
> putting a
> > smile on their faces would pay off?
> >
> > This is just my opinion, of course, I understand that a lot of people have
> sent very
> > little evidence of relationship and even just one letter of intent to marry (
> from the
> > U.S. citizen, instead of both) and still been cleared. But - can't hurt,
> might help.
> >
> > And definitely send copies. Originals can be faked too, if you really think
> about it.
> > Even photographs. I think we have to depend on the quality of what we send,
> not that it's
> > original.
> >
> > Diane M.
> >

> >
> >> ----------
> >>
> >>
> >> > Send copies to INS. When it comes time for the interview sent copies and the
> >> > originals to your fiancé(e). They can show the Consulate/Embassy the originals and
> >> > offer a copy if they want it.
> >> >
> >> > Also don't send letter or cards unless you do not mind INS reading your personal
> >> > things and sharing them with their co-workers. Send a copy of the envelope showing
> >> > postmark, stamp, and address instead.
> >> >
> >> That's good advice. Thanks. I've had a tough time finding a handful of
> >> "appropriate" e-mails. I wanted a few, since early on that was so much of our
> >> contact (and one or two show "proof of intent" by discussing marriage and the
> >> like), but I didn't want them to see anything too personal. I guess it's a fine
> >> line: showing proof of relationship without showing too much detail about the
> >> relationship itself. I don't fancy the thought of them passing things around and
> >> giggling about them....

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 7:02 am
Diane M

I can certainly relate to the "hypersensitive" feeling. I felt that way for weeks before I
sent in the I-129F packet. I did the whole thing as suggested - two hole punch, dividers
(I couldn't find dividers with the tabs on the bottom, so I bought stick on tabs and used
card stock paper), pictures in clear envelopes, I-129F submission typed on the bottom of
every page, and each page signed, etc. . And I still felt incredibly nervous when I sent
it off. I have two complete backup copies, just in case - one for me and one for Eddie's
consulate visit <g>. I felt like I was back in grad school - when I'd spent weeks, or even
months working on a paper, and I finally had to turn it in and let someone grade it. I
even waited an extra 2 weeks so that I could include an original signed letter of intent
from Eddie (he sent it to arrive in 3 days - it took 2 weeks) - then I read that someone
has just used a faxed copy and it was fine <sigh>

Just remember - you don't have to drown them, just convince them. Listen to Alveena. She
knows her stuff. I'm sure that a sample of the phone bills would be fine - maybe one from
the beginning and one recent one. And you will have a chance to add info if they need it
- it isn't "the end" if they feel they need more. I just tried to include enough personal
information so that Eddie and I will (hopefully) become "real" to whoever reviews our
file, without drowning them in details. Follow the directions on Jonathan's and
Alveena's pages and the FAQ. Include the basics - proof you've met, letters of intent to
marry, the forms, pictures. And beyond that, keep it simple. I know of one "successful"
INS marriage between a 90 year old man and a woman in her 20's. She left as soon as she
got residency. You have the advantage of being real. You're going to be fine.

And btw - I felt quite relieved AFTER I'd sent it in. I did the best I could and it's out
of my hands now. Of course I'll feel a LOT better when I get at least my first NOA (which,
according the the timelines I've read, should be very soon <she says with a silent
prayer>).

Good Luck.

Diane M.

> What about copies of phone bills? They're quite pricey every month. I know there's no
> definitive answer on this, but would it be ok to send only, say, every 3rd month or so
> to show the length of our contact (over two years now), or if there are missing bills
> would they say "how come you talked in April and July, but not in May and June?" I don't
> want to send them a box full of info, but I'd hate to not send enough and cause problems
> and unnecessary questions.
>
> I feel like I'm starting to get a bit hyper-sensitivie about this whole thing, but it's
> far and away the most important thing I've ever done in my life, and I don't want to
> mess it up.
>
> ----------

Old Feb 24th 2001, 5:50 am
billypilgrim

Thanks for your good wishes, Diane. I wasn't nervous until about three weeks ago. First,
when I requested my Fiance Visa packet from the INS, it never came. Apparently the machine
lost my message. The second request was successful, happily. Secondly, Shawn has an arrest
from about 12 years ago (when he was 18) for a minor crime (bought video recorder from
friend, turned out to be stolen, paid 200 pound fine, end of story). He has realized
(after several visits on the visa waiver under bad advise) that he never should have
entered the country without a visa. So now we are waiting.... and waiting.... and
waiting.... for his memorandum of conviction, and our planned final visit in March is
totally up in the air, since he won't fly in again without the non-immigrant visa. Then
there is the fact that they may give him a hard time for "abusing" the visa waiver
program, even though he didn't realize he WAS abusing it.

And so I have seen already that things can and do go wrong, and that carefully laid
timelines become meaningless when dealing with things beyond our control. (sigh)

Ah well. Still, I realize I am blessed to have met such a lovely person at all. After all,
the paperwork is about the relationship. The relationship is NOT about the paperwork.....

Best of luck to you, Beth

----------

>proof? Date: Fri, Feb 23, 2001, 3:02 AM
>

> I can certainly relate to the "hypersensitive" feeling. I felt that way for
weeks before
> I sent in the I-129F packet. I did the whole thing as suggested - two hole
punch,
> dividers (I couldn't find dividers with the tabs on the bottom, so I bought
stick on tabs
> and used card stock paper), pictures in clear envelopes, I-129F submission
typed on the
> bottom of every page, and each page signed, etc. . And I still felt
incredibly nervous
> when I sent it off. I have two complete backup copies, just in case - one for
me and one
> for Eddie's consulate visit <g>. I felt like I was back in grad school -
when I'd spent
> weeks, or even months working on a paper, and I finally had to turn it in and
let someone
> grade it. I even waited an extra 2 weeks so that I could include an original
signed
> letter of intent from Eddie (he sent it to arrive in 3 days - it took 2 weeks)
- then I
> read that someone has just used a faxed copy and it was fine <sigh>
>
> Just remember - you don't have to drown them, just convince them. Listen to
Alveena. She
> knows her stuff. I'm sure that a sample of the phone bills would be fine -
maybe one from
> the beginning and one recent one. And you will have a chance to add info if
they need it
> - it isn't "the end" if they feel they need more. I just tried to include
enough
> personal information so that Eddie and I will (hopefully) become "real" to
whoever reviews
> our file, without drowning them in details. Follow the directions on
Jonathan's and
> Alveena's pages and the FAQ. Include the basics - proof you've met, letters
of intent to
> marry, the forms, pictures. And beyond that, keep it simple. I know of one
"successful"
> INS marriage between a 90 year old man and a woman in her 20's. She left as
soon as she
> got residency. You have the advantage of being real. You're going to be
fine.
>
> And btw - I felt quite relieved AFTER I'd sent it in. I did the best I could
and it's out
> of my hands now. Of course I'll feel a LOT better when I get at least my
first NOA
> (which, according the the timelines I've read, should be very soon <she says
with a silent
> prayer>).
>
> Good Luck.
>
> Diane M.
>

>
>> What about copies of phone bills? They're quite pricey every month. I know there's no
>> definitive answer on this, but would it be ok to send only, say, every 3rd month or so
>> to show the length of our contact (over two years now), or if there are missing bills
>> would they say "how come you talked in April and July, but not in May and June?" I
>> don't want to send them a box full of info, but I'd hate to not send enough and cause
>> problems and unnecessary questions.
>>
>> I feel like I'm starting to get a bit hyper-sensitivie about this whole thing, but it's
>> far and away the most important thing I've ever done in my life, and I don't want to
>> mess it up.
>>
>> ----------