Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Who usually pays for greencard applications?

Who usually pays for greencard applications?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Who usually pays for greencard applications?

We are going over the fine points of the H1-b contract hubby is about to sign and discussing the greencards. The company will sponsor us for greencards after 6 months, but will only pay for my husbands application.
Its going to work out around $11-16,000 for us 4. Is it normal that companies only pay for the worker? We may need to rethink if this is the case. I appreciate then dont have to pay for us, but we simply cant afford that.

Last edited by gypsygirl; Sep 1st 2011 at 8:34 am.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:21 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who usually pays for greencard applications?

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
We are going over the fine points of the H1-b contract hubby is about to sign and discussing the greencards. The company will sponsor us for greencards after 6 months, but will only pay for my husbands application.
Its going to work out around $11-16,000 for us 4. Is it normal that companies only pay for the worker? We may need to rethink if this is the case. I appreciate then dont have to pay for us, but we simply cant afford that.
It is not uncommon for an employer to not pay the expenses of applying for the family members. BTW, what is the breakdown of your figure of $11-16K for a spouse and three children? That sounds a tad pricy to me.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Break down they have given us is step 1 is the companys responsability. For steps 2 & 3 we have to pay between $5500-$8500 and additional legal and government filing fees. Each person is between $2-2500.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
It is not uncommon for an employer to not pay the expenses of applying for the family members. BTW, what is the breakdown of your figure of $11-16K for a spouse and three children? That sounds a tad pricy to me.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Break down they have given us is step 1 is the companys responsability. For steps 2 & 3 we have to pay between $5500-$8500 and additional legal and government filing fees. Each person is between $2-2500.
I'm sorry - but this makes no sense as you write it. You and the munchkins are only involved at the "adjustment of status" stage.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I'm sorry - but this makes no sense as you write it. You and the munchkins are only involved at the "adjustment of status" stage.
Sorry but Ive just repeated what they said in the email.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

no sure if im being a wee bit paranoid here, but from this and the other thread youve got going, this company sounds pretty dodgy , no sure if its the company or the lawyers or who, but the situation sounds fishy... but then, as i said, perhaps im just being a little paranoid lol
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulpur
no sure if im being a wee bit paranoid here, but from this and the other thread youve got going, this company sounds pretty dodgy , no sure if its the company or the lawyers or who, but the situation sounds fishy... but then, as i said, perhaps im just being a little paranoid lol
Well having been through this visa business before, if you get the wrong person giving you the information on the other end, your on your own. It is a big company which has sponsored people before. We have another company head hunting hubby, so we got our backs covered I hope, if this falls through. We are asking them to double check on things, I think they may not be immigration lawers, as suggested on the other thread
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

All you would be responsible for in petitioning for greencards for yourself and kidlets would be the fees for:

I-485 (1 fee includes work authorization and advance parole)
Medical (693)
Biometrics
And miscellaneous fees for photocopying, etc.

Figure about $1500 to 2000 per person tops

BTW personally it would be super generous for the company to pay the fees for the entire family and not the norm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Commentator

FWIW, assuming the L/C is obtained and the I-140 is approved, the alien beneficiary gets to keep the priority date if they qualify by some other employer.

If the adjustment is filed and then is pending for over 180 days, the alien will have the advantage of "portability" for another employer in the same occupation.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Ok they have clarified the fees, $2-2500 each for me and the kids inc legal fees, which seems ok. BUT the remainder is hubbys fees, they are only paying the Perm fee and not steps 2 and 3, Is this right? I thought they had to pay his fees?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:28 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The phrase 'steps 2 and 3' has no meaning. You'll have to say what they are actually doing for those steps.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
The phrase 'steps 2 and 3' has no meaning. You'll have to say what they are actually doing for those steps.
Thats all they have told us, I know nothing more, it must mean something
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats all they have told us, I know nothing more, it must mean something
The company's attorney works form the company. It may pay for you ton have a consultation with another immigration attorney who can help you understand what's involved. He may come up with something that the company's attorney wouldn't mention.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Ok they have clarified the fees, $2-2500 each for me and the kids inc legal fees, which seems ok. BUT the remainder is hubbys fees, they are only paying the Perm fee and not steps 2 and 3, Is this right? I thought they had to pay his fees?
I doubt it. A green card is primarily for the advantage of the employee and generally at the determent of the company. As soon as the employee gets his green card, he no longer has to stay with that company. The only time it may be advantageous for the company may be if the green card is acquired just before the maximum time allowed for a H1-B visa has run out so that the company can continue to employee that person if they desire.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Commentator

FWIW, the regulations now prohibit the alien from paying for the labor certificate application. The thinking is that by having the alien pay for the labor certificate, the employer will be paying less money than she would have to pay an American worker thereby adversely affecting the wages of American workers. [No, the syntax is not a mistake. Even I have trouble understanding the logic used by the government and Joseph Heller passed away in 1999].

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.