Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

??? When do you receive your oath ceremony letter in the mail ???

??? When do you receive your oath ceremony letter in the mail ???

Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:40 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ??? When do you receive your oath ceremony letter in the mail ???

Originally Posted by June
Hi Mr. F,

Even though the USCIS officer who interviewed him last Friday 10/12/07 at the Chula Vista, CA field office (San Diego County) told him at his interview that she was recommending him for approval for USA citizenship? The USCIS officer gave hime form N-652 indicating he passed his english, civics, and history test, & it also indicated congratulations you have been recommended for approval for USA citizenship. You will be notified when & where to appear for your oath ceremony.

Will you please respond back to this.

Fondly,
June
I attended a naturalization (re) interview on 10/17/07 at the Santa Ana CIS office. Officer said the same thing, and issued the same form (N-652). Officer said it could take up to 90 days for the oath ceremony letter to arrive. She said it might come within 30, perhaps within 60, but should be no longer than 90.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:19 pm
june

June has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud of
Question Re: ??? When do you receive your oath ceremony letter in the mail ???

Mr. F, Mr. Udall, and Rete,

Thanks to the three of you very much for your knowledgable responses & recent experiences with the N-400 oath ceremony letter question I had, it was very much accepted & appreciated even though Rete you are absolutley correct in saying that I am currently fearful that my husband's USA oath ceremony letter will not come in the mail even though his N-400 was approved last Friday 10/12/07 at his interview. You are also right Rete in saying that if he had his oath ceremony letter I would be a lot less fearful that something might or could be wrong.

I value all three of your opinions. I spoke with my husband last night & he told me that the USCIS officer that interviewed & approved his N-400 last Friday told him exactly what Mr. Udall said, & that is that his oath ceremony letter will be mailed to him within 3 weeks to 3 months.

Why is it that some people in the same city & field office get their oath cermony letter at the time of their N-400 interview & some people have to wait, and wait, and wait for their oath ceremony to be mailed to them?

If he called the USCIS 800# would they have any information on the current status on the receipt of my husband's oath ceremony letter or should we schedule an infopass appointment & go down to the Chula Vista USCIS field office where he was interviewed?

Your responses to my above questions would be very much appreciated.

Fondly
June
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke with my husband last night & he told me that the USCIS officer that interviewed & approved his N-400 last Friday told him ... that his oath ceremony letter will be mailed to him within 3 weeks to 3 months.
In your first post, you said, "It's been a week to the day that he went for his N-400 interview and was approved, however no letter concerning his oath ceremony appointment date has been received to date." He was told it could take 3 weeks to 3 months to receive the letter and yet you're looking for it one week after! That's not fear... that's impatience.

Ian
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In your first post, you said, "It's been a week to the day that he went for his N-400 interview and was approved, however no letter concerning his oath ceremony appointment date has been received to date." He was told it could take 3 weeks to 3 months to receive the letter and yet you're looking for it one week after! That's not fear... that's impatience.

Ian
Apparently there is a breakdown in communication between husband and wife and I assume from June's latest post that her husband did not tell her it would take three weeks to three months. You apparently have an issue with June and her postings so it might be better for her that you don't read her postings nor reply to them in the future.

June, there are many many reasons why. One of them is that there is that the approval still have been done by the supervisor which is the case for your husband. His application is being recommended for approval, it has not been approved as yet. Jim had the same thing in his case.

The adjudicating officer had to have his supervisor sign off on the final approval because of a speeding ticket before a letter could be generated scheduling the oath ceremony. In Jim's case the AO was nice enough to ask after coming out to meet me and congratulating me on putting together Jim's application package so thoroughly and concisely that if we had the time and wanted to, we could wait in the room until the letters were handed out which would be an hour or so later. We opted to do that.

In your husband's case, I know the anxiety you are feelings is due to his mental illness and until you have the letter and the ceremony is complete, you will not feel complete relief.

So there are the reasons why some get the letter the same day, either at the interview itself or an hour later and why some have to wait.

In your husband's case, he has to wait because the complexity of his situation warrants the final approval of a supervisor.

I'm not about to tell you not to worry because you are going to worry regardless. But worrying doesn't help or solve the problem so it is a completely pointless activity.

FWIW, Violator_DM has an uncle who waited over 2 years for his letter from the Baltimore office.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr. F, Mr. Udall, and Rete,

Why is it that some people in the same city & field office get their oath cermony letter at the time of their N-400 interview & some people have to wait, and wait, and wait for their oath ceremony to be mailed to them?

If he called the USCIS 800# would they have any information on the current status on the receipt of my husband's oath ceremony letter or should we schedule an infopass appointment & go down to the Chula Vista USCIS field office where he was interviewed?
Hi:

On your first question -- it happens. I suggested that it may simply be that the scheduling computer was down, or that the available dates were full. As I said, my colleague who does natz in both San Diego and Los Angeles Districts, says that common practice in SD is to give out approval letter AND the scheduling.

On the second question -- I have no idea. But I think its too soon to tell. The 800 people only have access to computer screen and not the actual file.

A story I like to tell -- one of my first cases involved a newly minted LPR petitioning for his two identical twin daughters. [There was no backlog in the then "Second Preference"]. The two petitions were identical in all respects except for the middle name of each daughter. They were from a country which uses a "family census register" instead of individual "birth certificates" -- so the documentation was identical. No Service Centers back then, so filed at the same time at the local District by the same lawyer.

One I-130 took 21 days to be adjudicated. The second one was "remoted" to Skagway AK and too 9 months. First daugther had immigrated in the meanwhile. So, I learned early on the concept "your mileage may vary."

Good luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:10 pm
june

June has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud ofJune has much to be proud of

Thanks again Rete & Mr. F. for your responses, kindness, understanding & support. Once again Rete everything you said in your last posted response to my question is so very true. I must be very, very transparent or you just have a special gift of being able to read & understand people even though you don't know them or have never personally spoken to them.

In your opinion considering the circumstances do you think the supervisor will sign off on USCIS adjucating officers recommendation to approve my husband's N-400 USA citizenship application. I realize you can't say yes or no for sure & I'm not asking for a concrete answer, just your opinion or gut feeling so to speak based on the relevant information I have provided in my posts here related to my husband's medical condition, even though he is absolutley fine now & back to his pre illness self, of course he is on two medications.

I would appreciate your responses. Thanks again in advance.

Fondly
June
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just my personal thoughts. Since the adjudicating officer stated he was recommending it for approval, that unless the supervisor wanted more detailed information on your husband's medical condition, he would approve it as well.

It will happen when it happens, June. I know that it is easy to say but what is the worse that can happen? Your husband doesn't become a US Citizen? He will still be a Legal Permanent Resident. I don't believe there is a provision that will strip him of that status.

So for now, the two of you just go about living your lives as normally as possible. Your world is not going to be altered whatever the outcome so there is no problem neither way.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:57 pm
june

Thanks Rete for everything. I always can count on you. You are a very special person.

Fondly
June
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:06 am
Just Joined

naeem11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rete for everything. I always can count on you. You are a very special person.

Fondly
June
Hi there June I was wondering if your husband got his letter to attend the oath ceremony. I live in Los Angeles and had my interview on the 11th of October 2007 and was given the N-652 "recommending approval and have yet to receive my letter instructing me where to attend for oath ceremony. Please let me know if your husband has received his N-445 form.
Thank you in Advance
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:02 pm
june

No he has not received his letter yet telling him where to appear (date, place, time) for his oath ceremony. He too has his N-652 recommending him for USA citizenship. His interview date was 10/12/07. Let me know when you receive your oath ceremony letter.

fondly
June
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:57 am
Just Joined

naeem11 is an unknown quantity at this point

No he has not received his letter yet telling him where to appear (date, place, time) for his oath ceremony. He too has his N-652 recommending him for USA citizenship. His interview date was 10/12/07. Let me know when you receive your oath ceremony letter.

fondly
June
Hi June so I am anxious just like you and got impatient and called USCIS I talked to a customer service rep there and they advised me that I am scheduled to attend oath ceremony on Nov 30, 2007 at the Los Angeles convention center, however since I was just scheduled yesterday they have not mailed my form N-445(notice of Oath ceremony) yet. I would advice you to call and give them the application number and they will be able to tell you if and when he is scheduled for. Hope this help.
NS

Last edited by naeem11; Oct 31st 2007 at 2:05 am.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:55 am
june

Hi Naeem & Everyone Else:

My husband & I decided to take Naeem's advise & call USCIS' 800# just as she did to find out my husband's current status on his USA citizenship oath ceremony letter/scheduling. The person we spoke with would not put us through to a USCIS officer, however she did look up my husband's N-400 oath ceremony status with his receipt number when we filed his case back on 5/10/07. The lady at USCIS 800# told us that my husband has still not been scheduled for this USA oath ceremony & it would not be for an additional 52 days from yesterday 11/7/07. My husband's N-400 USA citizenship interview was on 10/12/07 at the Chula Vista California USCIS field office (San Diego area). At his interview he was recommended for USA citizenship approval & given the N-652 form indicating that he passed & was being recommended for USA citizenship.

Does anyone on this post have any idea why my husband's oath ceremony has not been scheduled as yet & won't be until another 52 days from today 11/7/07? The lady at USCIS' 800# did not know why. Several of our friends here in San Diego (Who were interviewed at the main USCIS San Diego district office), either received their USA oath ceremony the same day as their N-400 interview or within three weeks. Naeem who participates on this site indicated approximatley one week ago on this post that she went for her N-400 USA citizenship interview on 10/11/07 (One day before my husband's N-400 interview), in the Los Angeles, California area & was told by a person at USCIS' 800# that her USA oath ceremony has been scheduled for 11/30/07.

I'm beginning to get somewhat worried that something has gone wrong.
What does others who participate on this post think? Responses would be very much appreciated. Don't mean to be reduntant, but in light of this new information we received from USCIS' 800# today I'm getting a little bit (maybe a lot) nervous & worried.

Fondly,
June
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm beginning to get somewhat worried that something has gone wrong.
What does others who participate on this post think? Responses would be very much appreciated. Don't mean to be reduntant, but in light of this new information we received from USCIS' 800# today I'm getting a little bit (maybe a lot) nervous & worried.
Hi:

Naem is in Los Angeles as you note. You are in San Diego. It is something to be noted. You are in SAN DIEGO. Repeat, you are in SAN DIEGO. You are right that something "went wrong" recently -- but it did not affect only you. You are in SAN DIEGO. Think about it.

Please.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

heh.

sorry, irreverent.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:08 pm
Concierge

June, the recent fires in San Diego might be one of the causes why your husband's letter is going to take so long.