When to complete DS-230

Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:40 am
Just Joined

John Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to complete DS-230

My daughter is sponsoring me to immigrate to the US (she is a US Citizen, having married over there several years ago).
I've just paid my Immigrant Visa fee ($400) on-line and it is shown as 'Paid'.
I have printed the receipt as instructed.
The printed receipt says to 'return this page with the completed forms and required documents'
However, on the Option 2 (payment by check/money order form) it says not to send the DS-230 form.
I checked on the US State gov web-site, but it's still not clear to me if I need to print and fill out the DS-230 now and send it with the receipt or just send the receipt and await instructions.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:53 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to complete DS-230

Originally Posted by John Boy
However, on the Option 2 (payment by check/money order form) it says not to send the DS-230 form.
I checked on the US State gov web-site, but it's still not clear to me if I need to print and fill out the DS-230 now and send it with the receipt or just send the receipt and await instructions.
There is SO MUCH variation on how paperwork is submitted -- it varies from Consulate to Consulate. I have even seen procedures change several time within the SAME consulate within the same month!

Check the website for the CONSULATE at which you will be processing. Do not rely on the general, Department of State website.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to complete DS-230

Originally Posted by John Boy
My daughter is sponsoring me to immigrate to the US (she is a US Citizen, having married over there several years ago).
I've just paid my Immigrant Visa fee ($400) on-line and it is shown as 'Paid'.
I have printed the receipt as instructed.
The printed receipt says to 'return this page with the completed forms and required documents'
Any suggestions?

Thanks
I think you should wait for the NVC direction to submit the DS-230; it is its own step, separate from the payments.

See if this page answers anything for you from clicking through: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3190.html

From what I've read elsewhere, the online payment system is still getting its legs under it. I know that you do need a barcoded cover letter to return with the DS-230, but I don't know if the payment receipt is enough on its own.

-----------------------------
OK, I did the deed and looked it up on another user group. This is the most up to date flowchart--I think this is the step you're on:

Agent pays IV Fee

The agent pays IV Fee ($400 - always refer to http://uscis.gov for most current fee amounts) online using bank checking account (no credit card). ABA # (or Routing #) and Account # is needed. Payment status changes to “PENDING”.

IV Package Express Mail to NVC

Time: 1 to 2 days after above step

In one or two days time, payment status will show as “PAID”. Immediately print out IV bar code coversheet from the online payment site and express mail the entire IV Package to NVC by USPS.

Important:

1. Create your own cover letter to IV Package Refer to DS-230 Cover Letter or Attachment #4, below
2. Use the address on bar code cover sheet

NVC Receives IV Package

Time: 1 day after above step

NVC receives IV Package
NVC Enters & Reviews IV Package

Time: ~1 week after above step

NVC enters IV Package into their system and review it in couple of days

If more info/evidence is required, then NVC will generate and send a checklist to the Agent. Agent responds to the checklist.

If you want to see the rest of the chart, it's here. No guarantees on accuracy, but this seems to be the version everyone agrees on at the moment.

Last edited by meauxna; Oct 19th 2008 at 9:15 pm.