Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

When are cheques cashed in Chicago

When are cheques cashed in Chicago

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Steve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really nice
Default When are cheques cashed in Chicago

My AoS package was received in Chicago on Sunday (impressive) and I was just wondering when they usually "cash the cheque".

Had a quick search here and found a post from 2008 saying 10 days - can anyone supply more recent timings?

TIA
Steve
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When are cheques cashed in Chicago

Originally Posted by Steve Homer
My AoS package was received in Chicago on Sunday (impressive) and I was just wondering when they usually "cash the cheque".

Had a quick search here and found a post from 2008 saying 10 days - can anyone supply more recent timings?

TIA
Steve
Hi Steve,

Congratulations on filing the AOS! It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to get the check cashed. In my opinion, unless you're worried about not having the money in the bank, try not to break down the process in so much detail. The check will get cashed, you'll get notices of receipt, and you'll get biometrics appointment(s). These are the things to expect over the next couple of months.

The check will get cashed for sure. After that, another thing to look out for is an RFE, if USCIS finds anything from the AOS package missing.

Rene
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

TIA
Steve
Hi Steve,

My AOS package was received in Chicago on November 16th and I received my NOAs in the mail on November 27th. We've just had a look on our online banking and they cashed the cheque on November 23rd, so 1 week after receiving the package.

Looks like they'll be cashing yours soon!

RG
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:43 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The USCIS lockbox operations are contracted out to banks, because the check depositing aspect is a big part of what the lockboxes do. That doesn't mean that the checks get deposited immediately and will clear through to your bank quickly, but count on sooner rather than later.

Regards, JEff

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Steve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really nice

Ta muchly all. Reason I ask about cheque (check) cashing is because I believe that is when the send out the letter saying you have applied for AoS and when I get that I can get my Hawaii ID.

There could still be problems with the affidavit of support (don't ask) so the cashing of the check means things have at least not been dismissed out of hand.

Thanks again

Steve
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ta muchly all. Reason I ask about cheque (check) cashing is because I believe that is when the send out the letter saying you have applied for AoS and when I get that I can get my Hawaii ID.

There could still be problems with the affidavit of support (don't ask) so the cashing of the check means things have at least not been dismissed out of hand.
Actually, the cashing of the check means nothing regarding your case. All it means is that USCIS received your money and is keeping it. It has no bearing on the results of your case, or how your case progresses.

Cashing the check usually happens pretty quickly (within a week or two). It can still take several weeks to receive the NOA (USCIS receipt showing you filed AOS).

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that you believe wrong. I believe that sending the letter is an entirely separate function from depositing the fee payment. In fact, I believe that while the lockbox deposits the fee payment, it's the Service Center to which the case file is sent that issues the Receipt Notice.
I agree with this.
Regards, JEff