Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

When can I quit working for the company that filed my Green Card after I get it

When can I quit working for the company that filed my Green Card after I get it

Old Aug 19th 2002, 3:09 pm
R

Default When can I quit working for the company that filed my Green Card after I get it

I received my 485 approval in Mar 02 and got the stamp on my Passport in April and
got the card in June. I have been hearing that one should continue woking for the
same company after you get the green card for a reasonable period of time. How long
is a safe time ? When and what kind of complications can arise if I look out for
other oppurtunities now ? Please advise ....

Thanks, R

Old Aug 19th 2002, 8:21 pm
Konstantin Loguinov

Default Re: When can I quit working for the company that filed my Green Card after I get it

The "safe time" is anybody's guess. I bet you'll get 20 different opinions from 20
different lawyers ranging from one month to a year.

I guess the biggest complication you can have is royally pissing off your employer
who can report you to the INS. Another complication that can arise down the road is
that if you decided to apply for the citizenship, they might have some questions. But
at this point of time I'd rather worry about the possibility of having to deal with
an angry employer.

K

"r" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > I received my 485 approval in Mar 02 and got the stamp on my Passport in April and
    > got the card in June. I have been hearing that one should continue woking for the
    > same company after you get the green card for a reasonable period of time. How long
    > is a safe time ? When and what kind of complications can arise if I look out for
    > other oppurtunities now ? Please advise ....
    > Thanks, R