Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

When to apply for L2 spouse temp working visa

When to apply for L2 spouse temp working visa

Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Twinklekk is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink When to apply for L2 spouse temp working visa

Hi, I am currently in the process of L1 visa application which work are pushing through for me. I work for an American company who have an office in the UK, so basically I do same job but just in different office in U.S.

Tried looking at the masses of internet sites out there but can't find a clear answer to the following questions....

When can my husband apply for L2 visa? Is it whilst I am in progress or only once I have visa confirmed? Also do I need to apply for a visa for my 4 year old to come with me to US?

Also once L1 visa is approved - is there a time set as to when you must enter the US?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Regards
Twinklekk
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to apply for L2 spouse temp working visa

Originally Posted by Twinklekk
When can my husband apply for L2 visa? Is it whilst I am in progress or only once I have visa confirmed?
Only when you actually have the visa. Your husband will need proof of your L-1 visa (which he can't do until it is physically in your passport) and a copy of your marriage certificate.

Also do I need to apply for a visa for my 4 year old to come with me to US?
Yes, the same as your husband... your son will get an L-2 visa. You will need proof of your L-1 visa and a copy of your son's birth certificate showing you as the mother.

Also once L1 visa is approved - is there a time set as to when you must enter the US?
You need to enter the US within 6 months of getting the visa. Your L-2 husband and son can enter with you or at any time after you enter.

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

You say 'your' son - is he your husband's child or a child from a previous relationship? If he is not your husband's you would need to make sure you have the necessary permission from his father to move him.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
You say 'your' son - is he your husband's child or a child from a previous relationship? If he is not your husband's you would need to make sure you have the necessary permission from his father to move him.
Good points, NatashaB! I hadn't considered whether or not the son was the husband's biological son or a son from a prior relationship.

Twinklekk - if your son is from a prior relationship, you will need written permission from the child's father to remove him from UK jurisdiction. And, now that I'm thinking about it, if the boy is your husband's biological child, it is possible that the boy is already a US citizen and doesn't actually need a visa... although he would need a US passport to enter the US.

So... best to check on this stuff!

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Thanks Son is ours so no need to worry about non biological :-)

Last question, although I am sure I will have more over coming weeks :-)

So if my husband and childs L2 visas are in progress, can they still come with me to the US before they are approved? Or do they have to wait until approval before they can travel with me to US? They are both UK residents currently and have been since birth.

What are the chances of an L2 being rejected? My worry is we head out there and then husband cant get temp work due to not having an L2 visa.

Thanks
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So if my husband and childs L2 visas are in progress, can they still come with me to the US before they are approved? Or do they have to wait until approval before they can travel with me to US? They are both UK residents currently and have been since birth.

What are the chances of an L2 being rejected? My worry is we head out there and then husband cant get temp work due to not having an L2 visa.

Thanks
Aren't your company applying for all 3 visas at the same time?

He won't be able to work immediately he arrives....he will have to wait for work authorisation. Finding a job will probably be your husband's main problem. Most jobs here are found through networking and unemployment rates are high. Several of our members USCs and UKCs have been looking for work for well over a year.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 1st 2010 at 1:37 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

They can only travel on the L2 visa once it is granted and in their passports. There should be no issues getting the L2 visa as long as you provide all the necessary paperwork and your husband has no criminal history or overstays in the US (and obviously the L1 is approved). When we did our application the company my husband works for included my L2 application with the L1 application and we both went to the embassy at the same time to get our visas in our passports. I believe you can start a new application for an L2 after the L1 has been approved though.

By the way I am also on an L2 - are you aware that your husband needs to obtain an EAD (employment authorisation) before he begins work (assuming of course he can find a job)? I only mention as it can take up to 3 months (2 and a half and counting for me so far!!!) so you may want to put all the necessary paperwork together ready to file as soon as you arrive.

Last edited by NatashaB; Nov 1st 2010 at 1:37 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Thx Natasha I sure do thx, but want to have l2 before we move to u.s so that us the only application pending whilst there. I may come back with some EUD questions when I get to that stage :-)
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

the only difficult bit about the EAD is the waiting - it's only a page long form with a couple of US spec passport photos and copies of the L1 visa and marriage certificate

If your company are paying for the visa processing for your family it may be worth asking if they will cover the EAD filing fee though as I believe it is a few hundred dollars.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Your husband and your son *must* get L-2 visas before traveling to the US. It would be normal for your husband to attend the interview with you; make SURE your company is processing an application for him as well as for you.

Please read the following: http://london.usembassy.gov/work2.html
See the part on the right "Spouses, Children & Partners"
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

maybe i am missing something (a brain??) but isnt the L2 is granted with the L1 at the emabssy appointment . my wife did nothing until the DS160 stage and then attended the embassy interview. as i got the L1 so she got the L2 automatically. we didnt fill in any applications before the DS160 ???
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
maybe i am missing something (a brain??) but isnt the L2 is granted with the L1 at the emabssy appointment . my wife did nothing until the DS160 stage and then attended the embassy interview. as i got the L1 so she got the L2 automatically. we didnt fill in any applications before the DS160 ???
Exactly.. it's only granted if it's asked for properly. The DS-160 is the visa application.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:18 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i went for the interview as L2 the same day my husband was interviewed for his L1.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks All, My work are doing the application for me and have meeting on Thursday with Human Resources with lots of questions thanks to feedback from you all.

Appreciate you taking time to respond.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Hi Twinklekk, we went through this earlier this year, though in this instance I am the L2.
The first stage of the visa application is the Petition that your company have to prepare to justify moving you to the states (form I-129). This is all about you, and won't mention your family at that stage. If your company already has a blanket petition in place, this will help to speed up the process. Once the petition is approved, you will get an reference number and you can call the US Embassy to make an appointment for you and your family (give all names at this point, and there will be a fee to pay over the telephone). You'll get an appointment letter with a barcode for each of you, which they will email, and you have to take with you to get in the building. On the US Embassy site, you then fill out DS-160, and you need to gather all the documents on there. Off the top of my head in this instance some examples will be marriage certificate, and birth certificates all round. For yourself you will need qualification certificates etc. You will need to pay another fee at the Embassy for the L2 visas, and you will also need to pay for shipping of passports back to you.

The info here is pretty comprehensive - http://london.usembassy.gov/work2.html

ETA - One question I would be asking to ensure that your company are aware of and will pay for ALL costs incurred for your visa and your family's. There's lots of costs along the way!

Last edited by taffie77; Nov 3rd 2010 at 5:55 pm. Reason: Glaring grammatical error!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.