Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What's the worst that can happen? I94 exp 2/28

What's the worst that can happen? I94 exp 2/28

Old Mar 14th 2002, 5:35 pm
Megan

Default What's the worst that can happen? I94 exp 2/28

Hi everyone,

My husband's I-94 expired on 2/28/02, we were married on 02/02/02, we just haven't
turned in our I-485 packet yet. We have had a horrible time getting our marriage
certificate, mainly because I wasn't vigilant enough (I've had a bad month, he and I
are great but with other things), and the Clark County Recorder Office is
slooooooooooooooooow. All our paper-work is complete I am just waiting for our
marriage certificate, I have ordered three, the first within a week of our marriage,
which they sent to the wrong address, but haven't gotten back yet.The second still
hasn't been sent, who knows why? they don't. The third which should arrive by fedex
any second now, I ordered it yesterday. So if all goes well, we will be dropping off
the packet at San Jose, Ca dropbox this afternoon. What's going to happen? seeing as
he over-stayed by 14 days, nothing? Worst case? Thank You,

-megan http://geocities.com/leximonster1997

Old Mar 14th 2002, 6:05 pm
Denis Barlow

Default Re: What's the worst that can happen? I94 exp 2/28

Hi Megan,

I'm in exactly the same situation, waiting for the marriage certificate so I can file
for AOS (We got married on January 24th) As far as I'm aware there is no problem at
all because we were married within the 90 days and the same obviously applies to you.

Take care.

Denis

"megan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > My husband's I-94 expired on 2/28/02, we were married on 02/02/02, we just haven't
    > turned in our I-485 packet yet. We have had a horrible time
getting our
    > marriage certificate, mainly because I wasn't vigilant enough (I've had a
bad
    > month, he and I are great but with other things), and the Clark County
Recorder
    > Office is slooooooooooooooooow. All our paper-work is complete I am just waiting
    > for our marriage
certificate,
    > I have ordered three, the first within a week of our marriage, which they
sent
    > to the wrong address, but haven't gotten back yet.The second still hasn't
been
    > sent, who knows why? they don't. The third which should arrive by fedex
any
    > second now, I ordered it yesterday. So if all goes well, we will be dropping off
    > the packet at San Jose, Ca
dropbox
    > this afternoon. What's going to happen? seeing as he over-stayed by 14 days,
    > nothing?
Worst
    > case? Thank You,
    >
    >
    > -megan http://geocities.com/leximonster1997

Old Mar 15th 2002, 12:35 am
Betastar

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:13:26 -0700, "Denis Barlow" <[email protected]> spake:

>Hi Megan,
    >
    >I'm in exactly the same situation, waiting for the marriage certificate so I can
    >file for AOS (We got married on January 24th) As far as I'm aware there is no
    >problem at all because we were married within the 90 days and the same obviously
    >applies to you.

We had a certificate that was notarized by the priest who did our ceremony. We
photocopied that and submitted it with our AOS stuff. We were surprised when we
didn't get an RFE, but we were able to give the real state-issued one by the time of
the interview.

I don't know if you have anything like the certificate we had from the priest, but it
might be worth a try.

Betastar

Old Mar 15th 2002, 6:35 am
Michael

megan wrote:

> Hi everyone,
    >
    > My husband's I-94 expired on 2/28/02, we were married on 02/02/02, we just haven't
    > turned in our I-485 packet yet. We have had a horrible time getting our marriage
    > certificate, mainly because I wasn't vigilant enough (I've had a bad month, he and
    > I are great but with other things), and the Clark County Recorder Office is
    > slooooooooooooooooow.

We picked 2 of them up the morning following the wedding at the Clark County
Recorder's office. You do mean Las Vegas, right? We took the minister's copy the
afternoon before to be filed, then they were ready the next morning. We ordered one
once and got it by mail a week later, counting the mailing time in both directions to
the SFO bay area.

An overstay by 14 day is only an issue if the AOS is NOT granted. For some reason, if
he lost PR status after that, he might have a problem entering on a visa waiver. Was
this a K-1?

Michael

>
    > All our paper-work is complete I am just waiting for our marriage certificate, I
    > have ordered three, the first within a week of our marriage, which they sent to the
    > wrong address, but haven't gotten back yet.The second still hasn't been sent, who
    > knows why? they don't. The third which should arrive by fedex any second now, I
    > ordered it yesterday. So if all goes well, we will be dropping off the packet at
    > San Jose, Ca dropbox this afternoon. What's going to happen? seeing as he
    > over-stayed by 14 days, nothing? Worst case? Thank You,
    >
    > -megan http://geocities.com/leximonster1997

Old Mar 15th 2002, 12:05 pm
Andy Platt

I recall seeing one occurrence where the local INS office did not accept a K-1 based
I-485 filed after the 90th day even though the marriage had been conducted within the
90 days but usually it is not a problem. I'm not sure if the INS office was correct
in doing so, all I've seen in the law is that the marriage must be concluded in 90
days but I haven't checked thoroughly.

The original question asked what's the worst that can happen? Obviously you could be
picked up and deported prior to filing to adjust status but again that is extremely
unlikely on two counts:

a) They won't come after you
b) If they do "run into you" they'll use their discretion and get you to file so they
don't have to deport you

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Denis Barlow"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Megan,
    >
    > I'm in exactly the same situation, waiting for the marriage certificate so
I
    > can file for AOS (We got married on January 24th) As far as I'm aware
there
    > is no problem at all because we were married within the 90 days and the
same
    > obviously applies to you.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Denis
    >
    > "megan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > My husband's I-94 expired on 2/28/02, we were married on 02/02/02, we
just
    > > haven't turned in our I-485 packet yet. We have had a horrible time
    > getting our
    > > marriage certificate, mainly because I wasn't vigilant enough (I've had
a
    > bad
    > > month, he and I are great but with other things), and the Clark County
    > Recorder
    > > Office is slooooooooooooooooow. All our paper-work is complete I am just waiting
    > > for our marriage
    > certificate,
    > > I have ordered three, the first within a week of our marriage, which
they
    > sent
    > > to the wrong address, but haven't gotten back yet.The second still
hasn't
    > been
    > > sent, who knows why? they don't. The third which should arrive by fedex
    > any
    > > second now, I ordered it yesterday. So if all goes well, we will be dropping off
    > > the packet at San Jose, Ca
    > dropbox
    > > this afternoon. What's going to happen? seeing as he over-stayed by 14 days,
    > > nothing?
    > Worst
    > > case? Thank You,
    > >
    > >
    > > -megan http://geocities.com/leximonster1997

Old Mar 15th 2002, 2:36 pm
Megan

>We picked 2 of them up the morning following the wedding at the Clark County
    >Recorder's office.

Ours wasn't recorded until Feb. 6, and we had already flown home.

>We ordered one once and got it by mail a week later, counting the mailing time in
    >both directions to the SFO bay area

You are lucky, I ordered the 2nd one on 2/26/01 and they say they haven't even sent
it yet. Only after I asked the woman if I had to fly there to get it, she replied,
"You're Welcome to do so, how else can I help you?" To which I told her she hadn't
helped me at all! And unless she could get me a Marriage Certificate tomorrow, then
she told me I could order one over the phone and send it fedex.Why she didn't tell me
that when I was asking how to get one quickly was beyond me. I finally got the 3rd
one I ordered yesterday. And we dropped off our packet at San Jose yesterday.
    >Was this a K-1?
Yes.

-megan http://geocities.com/leximonster1997