British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   What's love got to do, got to do with it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/whats-love-got-do-got-do-788553/)

Rete Mar 7th 2013 3:24 am

Re: What's love got to do, got to do with it?

Lack of financial sponsorship
Criminal Record
Not having met face to face in the 2 years prior to the interview
Medical reasons

Many people are approved for adjustment of status who do not have joint financial accounts. The USCIS wants to see a co-mingling of your lives. This is on a social as well as financial basis. One can prove this by so many evidences, i.e. emergency contact information filed with HR at work; co-membership on company healthcare plans; joint vacations that can be validated through photographs, airline boarding passes, etc., child born to the two of you (yes, sex makes the baby and the sex can be for lust not love - not asked to prove the reason for the act), and so on.

Idealistically, one would like to live in the world of romance and believe that everyone world over marries for love. Not even one believes in soul mates, or that marriage based solely on emotion is the only way to start a marriage.

The latter was not a requirement in the 1800's when arranged marriages of the upper classes. They were affianced based on need to accumulate fortunes, bred superior children and politically aligne themselves with the current political agenda.

Even today there are arranged marriages in countries such as Iran, Iraq and India where the two people never set eyes on each other until after the ceremony.

I'm happy for everyone who marries because they feel that they are marrying the right person for them regardless of the reason. Having been on this board for 15 plus years, I can attest, as can the other regulars, that all marriages are vunerable and many are entered into by a foreign spouse whose agenda is to get a green card and exit the relationship asap. There have been many who are USC who marry a foreigner for the power they wield over them by holding green card in front of them as a carrot while they exploit their spouse.

There are no guarantees in life, relationships or marriage or immigration.

Originally Posted by slummymummy (Post 10588130)
Another question then, how do they know if it's not a bona fida relationship or marriage? Ok marriage I know, if you don't have joint accounts and all that. (However me and hubby had love and kids but no joint accounts... until needed for immigration benefits.) Does K-1 ever get denied because they think it's not a real relationship? And if so, I guess you peeps will tell me it's not because they don't think it's love, it's because something else. What? I'm just genuinely curious. Partly because like I said before this *might* apply to a good friend of mine.

Noorah101 Mar 7th 2013 3:27 am

Re: What's love got to do, got to do with it?

Excellent post by Rete!

And on that note.... Thread Closed. :)

Rene