What is your job like in the USA?

Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What is your job like in the USA?

One of the things that surprised my wife and i the most about living in the USA was are jobs. We both found out jobs to be far more enjoyable here.

I'm a software engineer and my new company paid for me to be relocated to the USA, the first indications that things were looking up was that my salary doubled
Once I started work i soon found everyone to be more professional and more welcoming and appreciative. There was no rumor mill or gossip. Although everyone had a level of seniority it was not too obvious, unlike in the UK where there was just a sort of strict age based hierarchy. If you were new to the job in the UK they certainly made you feel like you were at the very bottom. In my new job its clearly possible to work you way up regardless of age and years of experience and its not uncommon to have a younger person managing an older one.
I do miss leaving the office early on a Friday and going down the pub though

My wife is a nurse. She was miserable working for the NHS in the UK. Poor pay, miserable work atmosphere, everyone moaning at and blaming each other. Terrible verbal abuse from the patients etc etc.
Once she arrived in the USA, she found that the local childrens hospital had arms wide open. They paid for her additional education (above the degree and nurse training she got in the UK) as nurses have more responsibility here than in the UK. They also paid for the exam and certification.
They call nurses hero's here, they have staff appreciation days for nurses. The doctors treat them well and the staffing levels are such that the work environment is challenging but enjoyable. She hasn't had any abuse from the patients or parents, in fact its been the opposite as she gets thanks and even gifts and donations to the hospital - unheard of in the UK. As for the pay and benefits, its amazing. She gets over 3 times her UK salary easily

So overall the difference is like night and day really. Anyone else finding this?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is your job like in the USA?

Originally Posted by Elliott
So overall the difference is like night and day really. Anyone else finding this?
not really.

I show up........

do a bit

get paid.

that's how it usually works no?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:51 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that surprised my wife and i the most about living in the USA was are jobs. We both found out jobs to be far more enjoyable here.

I'm a software engineer and my new company paid for me to be relocated to the USA, the first indications that things were looking up was that my salary doubled
Once I started work i soon found everyone to be more professional and more welcoming and appreciative. There was no rumor mill or gossip. Although everyone had a level of seniority it was not too obvious, unlike in the UK where there was just a sort of strict age based hierarchy. If you were new to the job in the UK they certainly made you feel like you were at the very bottom. In my new job its clearly possible to work you way up regardless of age and years of experience and its not uncommon to have a younger person managing an older one.

My wife is a nurse. She was miserable working for the NHS in the UK. Poor pay, miserable work atmosphere, everyone moaning at and blaming each other. Terrible verbal abuse from the patients etc etc.
Once she arrived in the USA, she found that the local childrens hospital had arms wide open. They paid for her additional education (above the degree and nurse training she got in the UK) as nurses have more responsibility here than in the UK. They also paid for the exam and certification.
They call nurses hero's here, they have staff appreciation days for nurses. The doctors treat them well and the staffing levels are such that the work environment is challenging but enjoyable. She hasn't had any abuse from the patients or parents, in fact its been the opposite as she gets thanks and even gifts and donations to the hospital - unheard of in the UK. As for the pay and benefits, its amazing. She gets over 3 times her UK salary easily

(Sigh).....Not been here long I guess? The honeymoon period is so sweet...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get someone along in a minute that will have a moan about lack of 4 week holiday time, I'm sure.

My job isn't something I did in the UK, in fact I was regulated to pretty crappy jobs over there (with crappy pay to boot) but I did have 4 week holiday pay a year. My husband, on the other hand, worked for BT (after working for the MoD for many years) and had 7 weeks of holiday pay a year - which he never used u[. He was not very well respected in his position, but didn't want to move up as the next grade (manager) wasn't well paid (he actually made more money than a beginning manager!) After moving to the States he's in a higher position, extremely well paid, extremely happy with his job and co-workers and gets 21 days a year for holiday time.

Edit to add, nothing is perfect, healthcare is the biggest issue we have. We have insurance, but we're not happy with it.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jul 9th 2008 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I think my best friend who is a Canadian and working as a Theatre Nurse in MI might have a few things to say...however....
The big gripe my OH has over here is the Health and Safety...or rather lack of it in his field (engineering)

Glad you're enjoying your job though
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy my job, the pay is about the same, which isn't bad given that I work in a small town. After 6 years, they have generously upped my annual leave allowance to 15 whole days. We are on our 3rd Health Insurance company in 6 years, this time it's Blue Cross Blue Shield, so we are hopeful that it will be an improvement on the previous two.

Bottom line, it's a job, it pays the mortgage, I prefer the Town Planning philosophy here, as opposed to the rampant NIMBYism in the UK.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

labmumUK will become famous soon enough

I worked for the NHS at home (Engalnd) in dentistry and then came here and worked in a pediatric dental hospital the difference was quite astounding from 5 minutes per patient as allowed by the NHS to 20 minutes per exam and 20 minutes in between to prep at first I was like " come on people lets hustle here!" but no one is in any hurry. The abuse cases we dealt with in children tho' were severe and terribley sad :curse:
Now I'm getting a higher degree in Nursing and college is tough but I really love it .
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
(Sigh).....Not been here long I guess? The honeymoon period is so sweet...
been here 10 years now
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:31 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

State Manager for a natural frozen food company, the loveliest folk to work for amazing
Independent contractor which is cool but you end up working more hours then normal, plus side you do them at your own conveniance and plan your own schedule...

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jul 9th 2008 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:48 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

been here 10 years now
Then I am happy for you.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Pool water theft prevention ....Somebody had to do it ....
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:50 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Pool water theft prevention ....Somebody had to do it ....
plus you have Sanchez there if need be.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:53 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Softie too. Like you said, less hierarchy. But also fewer young gals in hot outfits in the office environment. It's not the same without Shar, Tracey, Kaffy and Yvonne in their miniskirts and sexy pointed heels.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:58 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

the job is hot and sweaty ...... we laser cut mild steel. 6 lasers going up and down for 20 hours a day .....it gets a little hot in summer well not just a little ...it gets very f#ckin hot... the company's attitude is ..tough! leave if you don't like it ..although the boss will inform you of this from the comfort of his airconditioned office.

Like all jobs it has its good points and its bad points .....the pay is better than in the UK but then the vacation time sucks (10 days) .....in the end its like Manc says ...you go get paid .....end of story
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:02 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Elliott, are you related to Dean Churm? The resemblance is striking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.