Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

What VISA do I need for a casting internship in LA?

What VISA do I need for a casting internship in LA?

Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default What VISA do I need for a casting internship in LA?

I have just graduated from Sussex University with a degree in American Studies and Film and plan to save up and go out to LA and intern in casting in about 6-12months time. What sort of VISA do I need and will I have to have the internship lined up before I go out or is there some sort of working holiday VISA I could use and then look for internships whilst i'm out there.

I've been looking on the immigration website but find it all very confusing and there so many different types of VISA's.

Any info you can give me gratefully received.

Nikki
Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What VISA do I need for a casting internship in LA?

There is no "working holiday visa". Try looking at a J-1, maybe?

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who would be your 'employer'?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
What sort of VISA do I need...
There are only so many ways to get to the US. Look here and see what fits: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA. If nothing fits, well... you'll have your answer.

Ian
Old Jun 27th 2009, 12:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have just graduated from Sussex University with a degree in American Studies and Film and plan to save up and go out to LA and intern in casting in about 6-12months time. What sort of VISA do I need and will I have to have the internship lined up before I go out or is there some sort of working holiday VISA I could use and then look for internships whilst i'm out there.

I've been looking on the immigration website but find it all very confusing and there so many different types of VISA's.

Any info you can give me gratefully received.

Nikki
Try this; there is a special visa for recent grads (J-1 program).
http://exchanges.state.gov/jexchanges/faq.html
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Who would be your 'employer'?
a casting agency or TV/Film Studio most likely.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

a casting agency or TV/Film Studio most likely.
An agency is unlikely to have you on the books as a nobody and well, a studio probably wouldn't either though.

A J1 is probably your best bet but you can only get it for x number of years after you graduate, 2 I think? So I wouldnt' dilly around.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Pashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the rough

I did the same as you want to, back in my 'youth'. I went to LA all bright eyed and bushy tailed. Some words of advise:

1. I got a J1 Visa which is usually only available for the summer period and I think you have to be a current full time student (you may need to check this, I went way back in 2004). However I do know and clearly remember that this visa is NOT extendable.

2. It is NOT easy! Most people who want to go to Hollywood and do an Internship usually do so to get their foot in the door. Ask yourself this question: If I was a producer or something similar, would I hire an intern whose Visa will expire in a few months and would have to retun to their country, or should I hire an American Citizen/ resident who can stay and work for me after the internship is done and is someone who doesn't have the Visa hassle? I think you would know the answer to this question. Them, sponsoring you as a 'no-one' isn't even worth asking....

3. Getting an Internship in this field is very very very very hard! This is putting this lightly. It is almost like getting blood out of a stone. Most Americans who move from the East Coast to Hollywood to find their 'dream' of 'making it big' often end up in dire consequences, with them not wanting to let go of a dream that is impossible almost to achieve. It is impossible because Hollywood and its vicinity are heaving with wannabes who want to make it and studios and production houses have files and files and files of resumes from potential stars and guess what? Most of them remain in that file, because there is more demand then there are jobs.

4. If Americans can not make it (and do not have the Visa restrictions) how do you think a UK Citizen (I am assuming you are British, could be wrong...) who is a 'no-one' can make it? You need to build credentials and a name for yourself first. You need to get out there and get ahead here before you can even think about going to the USA and for a US company to sponsor you for a Visa.

5. My advise is that if you really want to go out for an internship - plan, research, plan some more and research some more. If you get an Internship it WILL most likely be unpaid. You will need enough money to support yourself during the internship. LA is NOT cheap. Realtors like to take advantage of the heaving wannabe population and charge silly amounts of rent. You will find that you will be running your life according to their (studios) schedule, not the other way round. This may mean that you will not be able to take a part time job to fund your internship (living expenses)

6. It can take AGES before you even get your toe into the door (not even the whole foot!) and you may find that by the time that you actually have found something, your Visa is expired and you are back to Sq. one.

7. LA in particular can be a cruel place for someone who wants to break out into the industry. It is haunted by the ghosts of those who killed themselves trying to make it. The streets of Hollywood are literally soaked with the sweat of those pounding the streets in order to make a name for themselves. Its not a pretty place and it can shatter you if you are constantly rejected, as you will be.

I did an internship with Universal Studios (unpaid) and I then got my J1 Visa and worked for Warner Bros. I got this through people I know. However, my Visa expired and even though my sister is American by birth and technically could sponsor me - its too complex, especially as she has never and doesn't even live in the US. I do not work in this industry anymore, mainly because I am tired of working for barely nothing and hate keep trying to prove myself - however it can be rewarding and I have worked and travelled to amazing places. Lets just say that one night I was attending a celeb award bash all glittery and wonderful and next day I was in the dumps! I would give you details of some people at Universal and Warner Bros., however I have been asked not to, because they have more demand then jobs. One tip, though if you do go is to try and get a job at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in Hollywood - the one located opposite Directors Guild of America. Producers and directors and the like hang out there and have 'meetings' etc.... it could be your foot in the door. Many have been successful through this coffee house. Good Luck.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:23 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pashtun
LA in particular can be a cruel place for someone who wants to break out into the industry. It is haunted by the ghosts of those who killed themselves trying to make it. The streets of Hollywood are literally soaked with the sweat of those pounding the streets in order to make a name for themselves. Its not a pretty place and it can shatter you if you are constantly rejected, as you will be.
As an immigration attorney that works in the very center of Hollywood -- my offices are at Sunset & Vine, no less -- I deal with many, many people who want to come to L.A. to make their name. Pashtun's write up is probably the frankest and most honest characterization of trying-to-make-it-in-Hollywood that I have read.

Although some of the remarks are a little blunt, they're right on the mark. (And for someone who has been in "the Industry," Pashtun's remarks were not even CLOSE to "blunt." They were love-pats in comparison with things I have seen and heard in this town.)

Although one can come to L.A. to make one's name, you're going about it the hard way. I'd work to make a good solid name for myself -- in whatever aspect of the Industry that you like -- and THEN seek your opening here.

I am reminded of a scene in The Muppet Movie, when Kermit the Frog is on the road, driving to Hollywood so he can "get discovered and become a star." On the roadside, he meets Gonzo. It turns out Gonzo, too, wants to be a big star, but Gonzo is going to Bombay, India. Kermit, trying to be helpful, says, "Gonzo, if you want to become a star, you're supposed to go to Hollywood!"

Gonzo replies: "Well, yeah, sure, if you want to do it the easy way!"

Best of luck,

--J
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Although some of the remarks are a little blunt, they're right on the mark. (And for someone who has been in "the Industry," Pashtun's remarks were not even CLOSE to "blunt." They were love-pats in comparison with things I have seen and heard in this town.)
Hi:

I've refrained from posting in the thread. However, I do second J's post other than to note that we are both located on Sunset & Argyle -- but our view out the window is of Sunset & Vine and a small glimpse of Hollywood & Vine!

Here is the intersection of Sunset & Vine -- this picture is a tad old and the scene is somewhat different these days.

http://www.yesterdayla.com/Graphics/SunsetVine1.jpg

By the way -- I have had a small share of cases from "The Industry" where a couple will get involved, marry and then file a green card application. By time interview comes around, they have split and now live with other people. As long as the AmCit spouse shows up and says it was a bona fide relationship, they get approved with no problem. It seems that the CIS adjudicators read People and watch E.T..

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Jun 30th 2009 at 10:47 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I've refrained from posting in the thread. However, I do second J's post other than to note that we are both located on Sunset & Argyle -- but our view out the window is of Sunset & Vine and a small glimpse of Hollywood & Vine!

Here is the intersection of Sunset & Vine -- this picture is a tad old and the scene is somewhat different these days.

By the way -- I have had a small share of cases from "The Industry" where a couple will get involved, marry and then file a green card application. By time interview comes around, they have split and now live with other people. As long as the AmCit spouse shows up and says it was a bona fide relationship, they get approved with no problem. It seems that the CIS adjudicators read People and watch E.T..
LOL, I loved it!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Pashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JCraigFong

Although one can come to L.A. to make one's name, you're going about it the hard way. I'd work to make a good solid name for myself -- in whatever aspect of the Industry that you like -- and THEN seek your opening here.

--J

Reading back on my post now - I probably was a little blunt and I think I may have scared the poor girl/boy away as a consequence. However, sometimes being blunt can help and save someone in the long run. I am not against anyone dreaming - I encourage dreaming it brings about genius, inspiration and uniqueness that would set you apart. Just do it in your own country first. If people like to follow celebrity, for example - you think of those British 'stars' who have made it in the USA including David Beckham, Kate Winslet, Keira Knightley etc...these all had to establish themselves in the UK first before jumping the pond, without that they wouldn't be where they are now.

You need to discover yourself in your place, in order to make your 'name' and only then can your dreams become a reality and move to America, if thats what your dream is...

BTW this goes for people who are not in the "Industry". I am sure Managers need to prove themselves as being good managers who are highly skilled in their current jobs in the UK before being transferred/offered sponsorship by a US Multinational.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Thats a great 'classic' picture!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

I may try and get an internship in the UK first and then head out after I have a bit of experience, maybe that would give me more of an edge. I just have loads of industry contacts in LA and not many here
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

I may try and get an internship in the UK first and then head out after I have a bit of experience, maybe that would give me more of an edge. I just have loads of industry contacts in LA and not many here
Yes, doing an internship in the UK first may help you and it would be good experience to put on your CV. However, I wouldn't hold my breath. The matter isn't how hard it is to gain work with entertainment/movie industry (which it is!), the hurdle you have here is legally being able to stay in the US to do your job, once you get it - if you get it. Even in the UK it is hard to get work in the Media/entertainment industry. I used to work for the BBC WorldService in a specialised department - I did work experience with them when I was about 18/19 years old and I was then offered in house training to become a Broadcast Assistant. I then got a contract to work on a freelance basis for the BBC - which meant that they would call me when their usually full-time permanent contract member of staff was on holiday or away from work sick, or if they just needed some extra help. I was informed by a good friend of mine who was working in the same department as me that the only way I could get a full-time permanent job within this department or any department for that matter, was that I had to wait until this person resigned from their job, or died! Getting work in this industry to very very hard and once someone gets a job, they never let go of it, unless they have to or they get promoted. Promotion comes after many years of prooving yourself. If you are prepared to wait around until an opportunity comes by, with the liklihood of it not coming then it may be an idea to have a career back-up!! always remember that an opportunity you get is an opportunity that someone else had to let go off, or passed on. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.