What are my chances

Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:52 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are my chances

Just to add, I am on an E-2 visa and I don't own a business, I invested no money in the US, I directly manage, but do not employ anyone, I had never worked for the company before I started work here in the US.

I work for a British company who hold E2 status and they are able to employ Brits over here on an E2 visa. I got issued with a 5 year visa. It doesn't transition to a Green Card, but as I progress through the company there are triggers for me to hit in order to be sponsored for an EB3 which has dual intent.

On the house purchase, you are right lots of brits purchase holiday homes. Last I looked Charlotte NC was not the US's number 1 vacation hot spot though. If you are buying a house to be an investment I fear Charlotte may not be your best choice.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaun77
However bashing the idea of a holiday home?
I, and others, have already said you're free to spend your money as you wish.

Thousands of Brits own second homes across America, are they all foolish?
Yes, I believe they are... but they do it anyway. Even the über-wealthy can be foolish... but, like you, they can spend their money as they like.

Perhaps I should buy in Spain instead eh!
From an immigration POV, it'd make more sense, actually - since, as a UKC, you can't be refused entry to Spain.

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Shaun77 is an unknown quantity at this point

No not an investment just a second home. I started my company with £500 in my pocket and grafted to where I am now. I have 15 vans and 30 roofers working for me. I'm determined to succeed one way or another. Thanks for all of the comments, it's been enlightening.

All the best guys
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken onboard that it won't be straight forward to emigrate being "a roofer" and I appreciate the comments. However bashing the idea of a holiday home? Thousands of Brits own second homes across America, are they all foolish? Perhaps I should buy in Spain instead eh!
No-one's 'bashing the idea of a holiday home', but giving personal opinions of why we think it's a bad idea. The purpose is to make you aware of the negatives so you can make an informed decision. If you want to spend your money after receiving advice, then it's your choice.

After all, if you were buying a car, would you buy the one that all the reported reviews state is an unwise choice or would you look for something that has a more positive review?

Bear in mind that you have to be exemplary in behavior, as do the rest of your family, because if someone gets arrested, even if it's not their fault, it could seriously affect the visa requirements and may even lead to a denial. All it takes is a simple glass of wine before driving home or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Would you still want to own that house that you have to pay bills on and not be able to visit?

Personally, I would want my holiday home to be somewhere I knew 100% I could enjoy it!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone has mentioned tax issues yet. Depending on how much time you spend in your holiday home, you could easily pass the substantial presence test. Then you would be taxed on your worldwide income.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No not an investment just a second home. I started my company with £500 in my pocket and grafted to where I am now. I have 15 vans and 30 roofers working for me. I'm determined to succeed one way or another. Thanks for all of the comments, it's been enlightening.

All the best guys
Why would you want to give that up and work for somebody else.

Why not open a US branch?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky I've got plenty of spare cash then isn't it. I own a very successful business here in the UK and have family ties a UK residence and will have return flights. I appreciate I may be turned away by some moody immigration officer but it's not happened yet. Ive lost count of how many times I've visited the USA over the past 15 years. 6 times in the past 12 months. Seems like a very negative forum!
The problem you don't seem to recognize is that once you own a home in the US the perceived risk of you staying illegally and working becomes very considerably greater, so the risk of immigration turning you away is greater.

You also don't seem to understand that US homes take a lot more maintenance than a home in the UK. It is hard to explain all the ways that a home owner has to cough up money, but to start with in Charlotte you're probably looking at $2,000/yr property taxes, or potentially half that in the surrounding counties. You will need to keep the utilities connected and set to keep the house from being cold and damp in the winter and hot and damp in the summer to stop mold growing - between water, electricity, and water you're looking at $150/mth. Then there'll have to be yard maintenance - you wouldn't believe how everything grows here, so not just mowing but keeping the plants and beds under control - so another $200/ mth. Then there's property insurance, and that'll run you another $1,000/yr .... but note that almost nothing but destruction by fire will be covered by the insurance because the property is substantially vacant. Then there is the simple fact that expensive things wear out on houses in America. A heating and AC system typically found on $100,000 houses might only last 10-12 years but will cost $6,000-$8,000 to replace. A roof round here can be expected to last 15-20 years, or occasionally longer, but will cost $10,000 ..... Or are you planning to own a "bus-driver's holiday home"?

Honestly homes in the US can be a money pit, and unless you are living in them continuously or visiting them at least every few weeks they are best avoided. They are absolutely not the appreciating capital investment that a home is in the UK. ..... I know I live in NC and the home I bought 12 years ago is only currently worth about 95% of what I paid for it. ..... And if I sold it I would have to pay about 7% of the sales price in estate agents and lawyers fees. So I would net less than 90% of what I paid 12 years ago!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would net less than 90% of what I paid 12 years ago!
Well then, it's "Lucky [he's] got plenty of spare cash then isn't it."

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a very negative forum!
People here can be a bit blunt and often more negative than the facts demand but if you can grin and bear it, you mostly get good advice. Just do not take all negative advice as fact - take it on board, get advice from other sources and make your own judgement.

I think the main point people are making is that there is a real risk that you could be refused admittance to the US at some point in the future and this could mean you have no access to the house you have bought. My guess is that is unlikely to happen but it is a real possibility. I would probably not buy a house in a country where I was not guaranteed access but if you are happy to take that (probably small) risk, then go for it. I suggest you talk to other Brits who own holiday homes in the US for their advice. I do not agree that you are being as foolish as others are making out, but you should definitely do your homework before committing.

Only if you consider accurate information to be negative.
I received some extremely negative advice on this forum, from a regular poster, that was completely inaccurate. Fortunately, I did not accept this advice at the time and was able to do what I set out to do. That said, most advice here is both accurate and helpful.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Some general comments -- the caption makes me think of the response of "we are not bookies."

Also, most of the posters here are not attorneys. Sometimes, it pays to dig to see if there may or may not be a way to accomplish your goal. A good immigration attorney will have a fairly deep question tree. Sometimes a "little" fact can pay big dividends. When I was in practice, that sometimes happened.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

So first I'll echo Mr. Folinsky's comments above about consulting an immigration attorney.

I'm not an attorney, nor really much of an armchair expert, but I think, given that you have a successful business in the UK, that could continue to run of you put a manager in place, you might be able to get an L1 visa to open a US branch of that business.

There are probably plenty of pitfalls and costs in doing that, hence the advice to consult with an expert. Plus the rules and regulations of doing business will be very different, but it might be worth investigating.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Some general comments -- the caption makes me think of the response of "we are not bookies."

Also, most of the posters here are not attorneys. ......
With all due respect Mr Folinsky, I am tired of being criticized, albeit obliquely, for what I am (or am not) rather than what I said. If you disagree with what I said, or worse, that I am wrong on a point of immigration law, I welcome the criticism and the opportunity to learn from the experience.

As with many other professions, when stripped back to its basics, immigration law is not rocket science. In fact immigration law is a rather narrow, almost claustrophobic field, where the client presents a situation or problem, and the attorney tries to match the situation to one of the small number of permissible solutions furnished by the Federal Government, and where the Federal Government has kindly listed solutions against letters of the alphabet, just to help everyone keep organised.

I concede I am not a lawyer but I am a professional in my own field and very capable of asking questions and winkling out details and nuances, and it is disingenuous to imply that immigration lawyers have some sixth sense in that regard, especially when you know as well as the rest of us do, that there isn't, in the field of immigration law, a solution for every problem that can ensure that every case ends with a happy client. Or am I mistaken and you have some special skill and were able to keep every one of your clients delighted with your expert counsel?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 28th 2015 at 1:23 am.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Brain Surgery vs Rocket Science - YouTube
"> Brain Surgery vs Rocket Science - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Apr 28th 2015 at 1:56 am.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roberth1970
So first I'll echo Mr. Folinsky's comments above about consulting an immigration attorney.

I'm not an attorney, nor really much of an armchair expert, but I think, given that you have a successful business in the UK, that could continue to run of you put a manager in place, you might be able to get an L1 visa to open a US branch of that business.

There are probably plenty of pitfalls and costs in doing that, hence the advice to consult with an expert. Plus the rules and regulations of doing business will be very different, but it might be worth investigating.
See post #7

The building trade is primarily Spanish speaking and is shall we say of questionable immigration status. Hard to undercut such entrenched business when you would have to abide by the rules.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:00 am
Account Closed

I do know a guy who has a roofing company, he made a big fuss about how all his labour is legal, very much got the impression that this is very unusual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.