What a joke...

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 9:53 pm
mcreda2000

VSC provides an IVR response unit (self-help thingy) that allows you to call in for
account status check.

Problem is, there are not enough PCs with enough ports to service the call volume. So
you get a busy signal. To make matters worse, the number to call for live help is the
same as the IVR. HELLO - VERMONT
- US GOVERMENT - the answer to increased call volume is ingenuity and some
brainpower. Not ignore the problem and keep the busy signal ringing.

Typical problematic design issue... Just plain stupid...

With little expense, this system can be easily redesigned to allow calls to pop to
the correct queues with 'wait' times rather than busy signals. Isn't first in-first
out a fair concept. Rather than just plain luck trying to get through to a live rep?
I would certainly wait an hour (not happily) rather than not get through at all (for
the past two weeks).

Terrible customer service. The VSC INS call center should be outsourced to a
private company.

Further - give the NCSC (National) call center a ring - just for laughs. See if you
can understand the grumbly, completely miserable, mumble-mouths that pick up the
phone. Customer Service people - I'm not asking for miracles - just a bit of
'interest' and 'polite-ness'. That's all. The national customer reps should be
redeployed to the Regional Centers. They have absolutely NO useful information
besides phone numbers, addresses and press releases that are easily found thru
automated channels. I can imagine how the National Reps' behavior would be if they
actually had to do some work in a Regional Center.

PS - Why would VSC run an IVR if they don't update the account status in an accurate
and meaningful way? Why not just throw their computing money into more 'examiners'
and push the applications faster?

DUH!

- Yes - I am complaining!

Old Jul 4th 2001, 5:47 am
XtrynytiX

Well said.

I am going to have a moan too. I totally agree and sympathise with the problems that
you have had.

Last Wednesday I called from England. After five hours of sitting hitting the redial
button (five hours is not a joke) I finally got through to find my application was
not listed (as usual). Went through to an operator to be told that although my file
was on the system and that there was news (well she hinted there was news) she could
not tell me anything as I am the beneficiary. Mark tried to call. Dialled 800 times
on Thursday and now they have switched off the connection to the operators. Since
last Thursday all you get is "Call back during business hours".

What a load of rubbish! They are playing with people's lives. Ive dialled that bloody
number so often the LNR has worn off the button!

She told me that they are too busy to update the automated system. Why have it then?
Why not acctually speak to people? The US Embassy here is no help either. I was
imperiously told "The visa office does not speak with the general public". Well
Excuse Me!

Sorry, but thats my moan out of the way. We should keep this thread open as a general
gripe list. Ill bet we get some real eye-openers here.

Sorry again but had to let off steam.

Becki (and Mark)

Old Jul 4th 2001, 3:32 pm
Jonathan_ATC

That's funny. We didn't even know there was a number to call and our petition went
through just fine.

--
    >
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
told
    >
    >
beneficiary.
    >
switched
    >
"Call
    >
    >
    >
dialled
    >
    >
    >
have it
    >
either.
    >
    >
    >
    >
as a
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 5th 2001, 1:23 am
billypilgrim

I've found two tin cans and a piece of string to be about as helpful as the Vermont
automated system.

I know it seems like the end of the world now, but trust me that it WILL go through,
and right after it does you'll forget about all that waiting. Then you'll worry about
moving, and the waiting will seem easy in hindsight.

Seriously, it is terribly frustrating, but it won't go on forever. On a personal
note, I might suggest that you and your fiancé have a nice long talk about something
totally unrelated to immigration (remember the days when you used to talk to each
other about other things? I know, it seems like ages ago. LOL). Give yourself one day
where you promise it won't even be mentioned. I'll almost guarantee you'll feel
better afterwords.

Beth, awaiting Shawn's interview in London.

----------

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
it
    >
either.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 5th 2001, 10:42 am
mcreda2000

Very good Jonathan... you framed a response similar to the NCSC helpline - completely
worthless.

good work and thanks for your input!!!

"Jonathan_ATC" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Well said.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am going to have a moan too. I totally agree and sympathise with the problems[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that you have had.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Last Wednesday I called from England. After five hours of sitting hitting[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > redial button (five hours is not a joke) I finally got through to find my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > application was not listed (as usual). Went through to an operator to be[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > that although my file was on the system and that there was news (well she hinted[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > there was news) she could not tell me anything as I am the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Mark tried to call. Dialled 800 times on Thursday and now they have[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > off the connection to the operators. Since last Thursday all you get is[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > back during business hours".[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What a load of rubbish! They are playing with people's lives. Ive[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > that bloody number so often the LNR has worn off the button![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > She told me that they are too busy to update the automated system. Why[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > then? Why not acctually speak to people? The US Embassy here is no help[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I was imperiously told "The visa office does not speak with the general public".[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Well Excuse Me![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Sorry, but thats my moan out of the way. We should keep this thread open[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > general gripe list. Ill bet we get some real eye-openers here.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Sorry again but had to let off steam.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Becki (and Mark)[/usenetquote2]

Old Jul 5th 2001, 1:54 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default Helpline...

I only called that line once or twice when we were waiting for news... both times it was completely worthless... So... just check up on the current waiting times- go to the Kamya website and look up how long you should typically be currently waiting for your NOA's. Then don't call- just wait. Talk to your hunny about things other than immigration as the other Beth suggested. Its like a "watched pot never boils". If you find yourself waiting alot longer than you should be in comparison to others, then try calling again, then. Otherwise, don't waste your money. I tried my best not to think about it- and getting the notices in the mail was a most pleassnt surprise.
I believe vermont has slowed a bit since January, when we applied, due to LIFE Act stuff and all, so bear that in mind making your time estimations. Hang in there!
Old Jul 5th 2001, 3:09 pm
Jonathan_ATC

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I think that was my intention. ;o) I used to write very long posts, but have found
that short ones work just as well, even better for some people. Others still need the
long ones in order to get my point.

I understand peoples' tendency to be a little jumpy at this stage in the Immigration
Game. When I politely point out that it is not only useless to call the number, but
even gets in the way of people with problems where they need to get into those phone
lines, people sometimes take it personally and lash out. I am used to it. But I was
not criticizing people for calling, only providing them the information that they
need NOT call that line and everything will still work out for them.

It was said this was an open gripe list. That is my gripe! We did not EVEN KNOW that
the number that I THOUGHT said call if there is a problem with your case, was really
an outlet to vent our frustration by calling it day and night. As nervous as we were
at that point, I WOULD have called it. Knowing what we know now, coupled with the
fact that even knowing on the tele line does not count until the consulate gets the
approval notice, we would not waste our time. But I fully understand the feelings
that would make a person put it on their speed dial, I have been there, done that.
Tried to buy a t-shirt, but the guy only had XX-S.

Was there a question that needed answering that I missed? My point is that people get
all worked up over something that they think is their right, like the phone lines to
the service centers, but when we filed we didn't even know about those phone lines
and it didn't affect how our petition went through. I understand about how they play
with your life. I know about it. I have experienced it. But I never got to experience
dialing and re-dialing in order to hear that majestic Lady. )

But part of what this group is to do is provide new people contact with people who
have the experiences. Our experience was that we did not know to call and it did not
affect the speed of our petition approval. I think that is vital information because
many people seem to believe that by calling that they will be approved sooner or that
knowing they are approved by the phone line is preferential to waiting for an
approval notice in the mail. By waiting for the one in the mail, it is more likely
that the consulate will ALSO have received their approval notice. Then you don't have
so long to wait for Packet #3. I guess I should have elaborated.

There are XXX number of lines into the service centers. These lines in handle the
voice lines and also the calls to listen to the progress of your case. People
actually have legitimate problems where they need to get into a voice line, but can't
because all the lines are tied up with people listening to the "Lady". If you ever
actually have a problem and have to call those lines and try to get a person, you
know that this is all true.

Get this, I am not saying it is bad or people are bad for calling the service
centers. I am saying it is useless to get so worked up about not hearing anything on
the line or if the message changes but doesn't say "approved". Once again, even
without knowing about this phone line to the service center, we were STILL approved.
So, any worry based upon the phone line is counterproductive and time could be
better spent learning all one could learn about your *S.O.'s country and culture.
(*both sides)

So, before anybody trashes me for what I said, please understand, I am NOT trashing
people for calling the line. 1. I am explaining why one should think about calling
the line and 2. I am letting people know that they do not have to call the line and
everything will still work out. I am not saying that anyone who has called the line
or is still calling the line are bad people, just a little uninformed and nervous. I
understand the nervous part, but no longer can they claim uninformed...

Now, I said all that, it will best be summed up by my original statement:

>
    >
    >
--
    >

Old Jul 5th 2001, 3:31 pm
paulgani

I agree with Jonathan. It's completely pointless most of the time to call. Even if
you hear the message change to "you are approved", there's jack shit you can do until
you receive the paper NOA approval notice. I supposed those NOAs could get lost, and
hearing the "approval" message could give you some ammunition to get a duplicate NOA,
but even so, why bother calling to check until the AILA progress reports state that
your petition should have already been approved?

Paulgani

[usenetquote2]> > Very good Jonathan... you framed a response similar to the NCSC helpline -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > completely worthless.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > good work and thanks for your input!!![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
have
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
to
    >
they
    >
and
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
EVEN
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
that
    >
    >
    >
    >
it.
    >
re-dialing
    >
    >
    >
    >
to
    >
that
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
long
    >
    >
    >
    >
your
    >
into
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
phone
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
are
    >
nervous
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > That's funny. We didn't even know there was a number to call and our petition[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > went through just fine.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 5th 2001, 4:27 pm
Jonathan_ATC

Thanks Paulgani. I do not bring this up repeatedly to berate people. I do it because
I believe what I say is the truth and may help someone.

--
    >
& Adjustment of Status Links Page http://clik.to/getk1 Doc Steen's Visa Pages
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm Newsgroup FAQ
http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov
{I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For reliable legal advice, please
consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
call.
    >
shit
    >
    >
you
    >
    >
    >
    >