What was I thinking?

Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

ghshortt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What was I thinking?

I have been an avid reader of this forum for just under a year now. It was about a year ago that I decided, after five years living in the US that it was time to move myself and my family back to England. Moving back would mean I would be back near my family and in familiar (or so I thought) surroundings. However, my wife who is American would be leaving her family behind.
It has been an eye opening experience. For all the things I love about England, I have been shocked by some of the things I have seen. The thing is, nothing has changed here since I left.
People talk about all these changes that have happened but when I really think about it, things are pretty much the same. (Except the silly house prices). But after five years in the US, it is I who have changed so much. I guess, I just want to say - to the people who are thinking about returning after an extended period away - make sure you hold the same values and beliefs now as you did when you left. Although England is not for me anymore, I am glad I did come back to make sure. I will go back and settle in the States finally knowing for sure that it is the place I want to see my kids grow up.

Good luck to all expats either going away or going back!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What was I thinking?

Originally posted by ghshortt
I have been an avid reader of this forum for just under a year now. It was about a year ago that I decided, after five years living in the US that it was time to move myself and my family back to England. Moving back would mean I would be back near my family and in familiar (or so I thought) surroundings. However, my wife who is American would be leaving her family behind.
It has been an eye opening experience. For all the things I love about England, I have been shocked by some of the things I have seen. The thing is, nothing has changed here since I left.
People talk about all these changes that have happened but when I really think about it, things are pretty much the same. (Except the silly house prices). But after five years in the US, it is I who have changed so much. I guess, I just want to say - to the people who are thinking about returning after an extended period away - make sure you hold the same values and beliefs now as you did when you left. Although England is not for me anymore, I am glad I did come back to make sure. I will go back and settle in the States finally knowing for sure that it is the place I want to see my kids grow up.

You sound so disappointed, may I ask what shocked you,apart from the house prices, are the houses much cheaper in America?
how long will you stay in the U.K.?
make the most of it while you are there, and enjoy the time with your family, look upon it as an extended holiday
all the best when you return to the U.S.A.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I'd like to know why you are so disappointed by the UK and returning to the U.S.

I have been in the US for almost 8 years. I realise that there are good and bad everywhere and both the UK and US are by no means perfect.

Do you have children? I think when you are a mother and bringing up your children away from your home country it makes you realise what you and your children are missing.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:53 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What was I thinking?

But after five years in the US, it is I who have changed so much.

I think you may be right there, it is the individual who changes more. You acclimatise to the area you have been in, without even realising it half the time.

I keep trying to think back to what I felt when I returned to the UK, but I can't put my finger on it now. All I know is that the UK wasn't right for me after all. I'd spent 10 years in OZ, and gave the UK 4 more years, but ended up back in OZ, feeling that I will probably stay here for ever now.

But who knows for sure Things in life change. Maybe wanderlust will take me to the USA one day

Old May 3rd 2004, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by bromleygirl
Yes, I'd like to know why you are so disappointed by the UK and returning to the U.S.

I have been in the US for almost 8 years. I realise that there are good and bad everywhere and both the UK and US are by no means perfect.

Do you have children? I think when you are a mother and bringing up your children away from your home country it makes you realise what you and your children are missing.

My children are the main reason that I am returning to the US. There are many reasons why I feel this way, and I won't start Britain bashing as that has been done to death on these boards already - and yes, you are correct that no-where is perfect. However, one of the main reasons is this yob culture which seems to have literally invaded all areas of life in the UK - it really upsets me. Although it has always been there, it seems now it has become the mainstream and decent normal people the minority. Of course that is not true, but it sometimes seems that way as you walk around the cities, towns and even villages.
Housing is my other bugbear. The govenments social housing policy since the forties has eventually caught up with us and now as demand exceeds supply, and will do for the foreseeable future, prices are now, what I can only describe as laughable. Buyer' regret is now the biggest emotion here right now.

But it is up to the individual to make up their mind. Mine is just an opinion. I wish you luck if you are making the move back to the UK. But after 8 years it the US, make sure you spend some time in the UK vacationing before moving your whole life back
Old May 3rd 2004, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

julii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nice

Dear gh,

I lived in the US for 16 years, all my adult life, before coming back to the UK a few months ago. I loved it in the US, but missed my family, and I didn't want to go through the rest of my life wondering should I move back to the UK or not all the time.

However, it's been 4 months now and neither myself or my (American) husband has been able to find a job. I wanted to change careers but I've found out I need to wait 3 years before I can get into a training programme due to new residency laws. Also, we are not on the housing ladder here, and I doubt we'd be able to afford anything more than a cardboard box without an enormous mortgage.

I think, gh, you should look at your move back as an experiment that confirms your desire to live in the US. At least you'll feel, as we did, that we gave it a chance.

Good luck on your move.
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by julii2020
Dear gh,

I lived in the US for 16 years, all my adult life, before coming back to the UK a few months ago. I loved it in the US, but missed my family, and I didn't want to go through the rest of my life wondering should I move back to the UK or not all the time.

However, it's been 4 months now and neither myself or my (American) husband has been able to find a job. I wanted to change careers but I've found out I need to wait 3 years before I can get into a training programme due to new residency laws. Also, we are not on the housing ladder here, and I doubt we'd be able to afford anything more than a cardboard box without an enormous mortgage.

I think, gh, you should look at your move back as an experiment that confirms your desire to live in the US. At least you'll feel, as we did, that we gave it a chance.

Good luck on your move.
Thanks for that, you have hit the nail on the head -

I loved it in the US, but missed my family, and I didn't want to go through the rest of my life wondering should I move back to the UK or not all the time

That is exactly how I felt. I am glad that I did this because if I had not, I would have been thinking about it for the next 50 years! I will be finally able to settle down now with a clear line of sight for my future - something I have not had for a long time.

I am sorry you have not been able to find work. My (US) wife is having the same problem. Extremely smart, motivated, qualified and experienced - she is getting nowhere fast. She is a bloody good project manager, but without UK known disciplines (eg PRINCE2), she is having a hard time.

Good luck with your next move!
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

My children are the main reason that I am returning to the US. There are many reasons why I feel this way, and I won't start Britain bashing as that has been done to death on these boards already - and yes, you are correct that no-where is perfect. However, one of the main reasons is this yob culture which seems to have literally invaded all areas of life in the UK - it really upsets me. Although it has always been there, it seems now it has become the mainstream and decent normal people the minority. Of course that is not true, but it sometimes seems that way as you walk around the cities, towns and even villages.
Housing is my other bugbear. The govenments social housing policy since the forties has eventually caught up with us and now as demand exceeds supply, and will do for the foreseeable future, prices are now, what I can only describe as laughable. Buyer' regret is now the biggest emotion here right now.
I really have to agree, kids over here do seem to be worse now. A cousin of ours who is a teacher recently had to abandon a school bus in Germany as the kids had set it on fire by chucking a cigarette down the bin in the toilet (12 and 13 year olds). I know this may be isolated but I know I don't really want to bring my kids up here now as it is more difficult to keep them away from trouble.

And housing, enough said!!