What happens during the medical?

Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Dolewhippy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens during the medical?

Hi all,

I have read the official information about what happens for your visa medical exam, but would really appreciate it if someone who's been through it can advise.

What happens during the physical exam? Is it as invasive as it sounds?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens during the medical?

Originally Posted by Dolewhippy
My goodness, how invasive does it sound? Do you have a link to what you've been reading?

From what I can tell by other's recaps of the medical exam, it wasn't invasive at all. At worst, they peek under your gown to make sure you're male/female, and that's it. Everything else is non-invasive, from what I've heard.

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a blurb from the US Embassy London website regarding the medical:

The medical examination consists of a chest X-ray and blood test, which includes testing for venereal disease. The blood test and X-ray are generally not required of persons under the age of 15 on the date of the appointment.

http://london.usembassy.gov/immigran...amination.html

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here's a blurb from the US Embassy London website regarding the medical:

The medical examination consists of a chest X-ray and blood test, which includes testing for venereal disease. The blood test and X-ray are generally not required of persons under the age of 15 on the date of the appointment.

http://london.usembassy.gov/immigran...amination.html

Rene
I for one hate "needles" ["jabs" in BritSpeak] and consider them quite invasive.

And again, you never discuss the whips and chains.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Hangrald is an unknown quantity at this point

I was anxious the whole week leading up to it, but it's really not worth getting worked up over. Here's what happened for me:

I went to the building and handed them the information they told me to bring. They had me fill in a second information form.

I got called for my TB x-ray. I took my shirt off and the woman x-rayed me. She waited for the image to load, then sent me back to the waiting room.

I was missing necessary vaccinations, so I got called in to discuss that. I could pay to get them done the same day, or do it at my regular doctor afterward. I opted to have them done that day.

In the main exam, the doctor spoke to me briefly and asked me to confirm the details I'd provided. He checked my blood pressure and heart rate, and took a blood sample. The woman came in and gave me my vaccinations.

I paid, and I left. I got confirmation of my interview date a few days later.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:30 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

More than a few people have posted their medical exam experience. Use the BE 'Search' function to find some.

Regards, JEff
I have read the official information about what happens for your visa medical exam, but would really appreciate it if someone who's been through it can advise.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

At worst, they peek under your gown to make sure you're male/female, and that's it. Everything else is non-invasive, from what I've heard.
Now that DOMA's been struck-down and same-sex marriages qualify for immigration benefits, one wonders whether it's still necessary for the examining doctor to do that part?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Now that DOMA's been struck-down and same-sex marriages qualify for immigration benefits, one wonders whether it's still necessary for the examining doctor to do that part?
They still have to know for sure what sex you are, so that they only let even numbers of each in.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was taken to a rather small examination room, and asked to remove all my outer clothes. The nurse attached some electrodes to my arms and head, and then monitored something (I've no idea what) for several minutes. There was the occasional electric shock which startled me quite a bit, but didn't hurt! When that was over, she asked a few questions about my personal habits, and asked me to drop my shorts so she could examine my do-dads! I've got to say, that she had rather cold hands, but the experience was quite enjoyable - if truth be told. When she was done fondling me (and looking mighty impressed if I do say so... I think she gasped and held her breath at one point!), she left to call for the doctor. The doctor reviewed my vaccination history, asked me about prior illegal drug use, and signed the forms. All told it took about 15 minutes.

As always, YMMV.

Ian
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:03 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of men being subjected to a short arm inspection. That said, a hernia is not a ground of inadmissibility.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Women can have a hernia. Why don't we ever hear reports about them getting checked for it?

Regards, JEff
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Women can have a hernia. Why don't we ever hear reports about them getting checked for it?

Regards, JEff
'Cause we're special.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

I turned up for mine in full motorcycle leathers - Had the chest x-ray and then after a short wait was asked to lie on an examining table. The nurse looked me up and down and asked me if I had any prosthetic limbs under the leathers and then gave me a few shots I was short on. Job done. No blood test, no blood pressure, no cupping the nutsack while coughing (whatever that is for)

Quite disappointing really.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:44 pm

See posts #10 and #11.
Originally Posted by King Gimp
.. no cupping the nutsack while coughing (whatever that is for)
I'm sure, since you missed the best part.
Originally Posted by King Gimp
Quite disappointing really.
Regards, JEff
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness, how invasive does it sound? Do you have a link to what you've been reading?

From what I can tell by other's recaps of the medical exam, it wasn't invasive at all. At worst, they peek under your gown to make sure you're male/female, and that's it. Everything else is non-invasive, from what I've heard.

Rene
Hmmm

My doctor did a bit more than 'peek under the gown'. Firstly I wasn't wearing one, I had to strip to my skivvies. He did, however, shove a hand in there and have a rummage around. Didn't even buy me a drink first

Other than the groping, it was just your average check-up. He listened to my breathing, asked me if I smoked or drank, general questions about my medical history, took my blood pressure. Before the check-up the nurse drew some blood for the HIV test and afterwards I did the chest X-ray then they sent me on my way.

From what I could tell, you'd either have to have AIDS, TB or be a meth-head to fail it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.