what forms do I need?

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

kingarthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Question what forms do I need?

Hi.
I married my girlfriend on the 20th sept in texas,i am from england and came to the US on a visa waiver
my 90 days will be up in 3 weeks
I know nothing about what forms to file,and do i have to go back to england after the 90 days? even if i file the form?
what is the first form i file?

help would be very very much appreciated as I am very very anxious as i want to stay with my darling wife in the us

I came to the us in april for 3 months,went back to england for a month and came back to help my girlfriend move house and we decided we could not live without each other and got married

it would devastate me if i had to go back

please please help

(a very anxious kingarthur)
Attached Thumbnails what forms do I need?-wedding.jpg  
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

saledevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what forms do I need?

Cute pic! The people in here will be very helpful to you. You will need to file an Adjustment of Status among other forms. If you go back to England, you won't be allowed back in the US so be careful. My fiance is in the UK too and we were where you are 3 years ago, only we didn't get married; we are going a different route.

Just sit tight and soon the advice will start flowing into your post!

Sal

p.s. Congrats!
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

lemming is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, my story is pretty much the same as yours..
You need to file I-485, adjustment of status, and your wife needs to file an I-130, petition for alien relative.There are other documents that need to be filed at the same time as these depending on your situation, this link goes straight to the I-485 form and requirements.
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo...orms/i-485.htm
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

I just tried reading that page myself and its a little confusing to say the least.
I can only speak from personal experience and if I'm wrong there are enough people here with more knowledge than me who can clarify things but anyway....

I-485, adjustment of status plus I-325A biographic information, one for each of you plus I-864 affidavit of support plus I-765 employment authorisation(if you want to work while your application is being procesed) and the I-130 petition for alien relative.
There is also the I-693 which is the medical and depending on which office you file at, may be needed to go with your I-485.

Hope this helps,

Shane
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

kingarthur is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou for the site,i found it a bit complicated.i will find out more about the forms you told me about.

just want to know if i stay longer than the 90 days on my visa waiver will i be deported?

many thanks

(a bit more happier kingarthur)
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

I personally am still wrking on the theory that once you've married a US citizen then you should be ok when it comes to deportation.My visa waiver expired on the 16th march and thats the day I got married.
I believe that once your paperwork is filed with the INS then the visa date is irrelavant as you are "being processed"
If I'm wrong, this may be the last post I make on this board as I have an appointment at the INS today
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you file the AOS paperwork you will be okay, you should try to file it before your entry stamp expires though.

Since this is all so confusing maybe you should consider using a lawyer or service to file for you guys, prices vary but I have found it was well worth it.

If you do not have money to use a lawyer the people here are very friendly and can be a tremendous assistance, lots of smart people post here I have learned so much.

Good Luck to you!
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

trburton is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the Lawyer thing. You do not need one unless you run into problems. The problems will be INS incompetence but you will have problem. As a professional Accountant I can help people with with IRS question easier and cheaper if I have done their tax returns.
I considered an attorney, but at the time the only practicing immigration attorneys in Nashville were only taking corporate clients. If I had used one instead of relying on Senator Fred Thompson's office, I would not be in the mess I am in
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 7:14 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: what forms do I need?

Originally posted by kingarthur:
thankyou for the site,i found it a bit complicated.i will find out more about the forms you told me about.

just want to know if i stay longer than the 90 days on my visa waiver will i be deported?
Hi kingarthur
I am in exactly the same situation as you, I travelled from the UK on a visa waiver in July to see my girlfriend. On the spur of the moment last week, we decided to get married and are in the process of sorting out the immigration issues.

A few notes of what I know:

1. You do not have to return home when your I-94 expires ASLONG as you filed your immigration papers before the 90days maximum stay deadline. Beyond that date, I do not know. But aslong as you send everything off before then, you will become a pending applicant and allowed to stay. You are then not allowed to leave the US, otherwise you'd be barred from the country.

2. Forms.
You need:
I-130 Spouse petition
i-485 Adjust Status
G-325a: One for both of you guys.
Affidavit of Support
EAD Work auth form (to work while your AOS is being processed)
Finger print fee
Advanced Parole travel form (if you wish to leave the US for a short period during processing)
And numerous passport style photos of both of you, along with copies of birth certificates, passports, I-94 slip & passport stamp, and a lot of other things.

If you deal with a local service center, the INS will contact you to arrange an appointment for the Medical, etc.

We're sending off all our forms tommorow (New York office), the amount of paper work is unreal :P
Anyone with recent experiences of the New York offices?

Good luck and congrats to you both