What comes after

Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

vicdupreez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What comes after the L1B approval

All,

I have been through the L1B petition process, and got that approved, and now have my visa interview booked for the 31st of March in Belfast. This is all cool, I will enter the USA (if the visa is granted) around the 14th of April. Still all cool. I am aware that I need to wait around 10 days before applying for a SSN, and that I can only get a drivers license after I get the SSN. After the SSN also comes the bank account, etc etc.

Now I have the following questions:

1. My wife will need to get an EAD and this can take up to 90 days. I am guessing I do not need one of these?
2. Can I do my drivers license test and practical pre SSN and have them complete the process only after I get the SSN? Just looking to save some time since I can not purchase a car or insurance without a US license.
3. Do I have to wait for my SSN to start work or can I start as soon as I get there, and will just have to wait for SSN and a bank account to get paid?
4. Will my wife have to wait for her EAD before she can get a SSN / Drivers license etc?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions. I did read the forum last night and got to page 7 or 8 and did not see anything that covered these questions.

Thanks again
Vic

Last edited by vicdupreez; Mar 13th 2014 at 2:22 pm. Reason: Making the title a bit more descriptive
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What comes after the L1B approval

Originally Posted by vicdupreez
1. My wife will need to get an EAD and this can take up to 90 days. I am guessing I do not need one of these?
Don't need/can't have. If your wife is an L-2 she can get an EAD which provides work authorization for any job - your work authorization is the L-1B, but you're tied to that job, at least for the time being.

2. Can I do my drivers license test and practical pre SSN and have them complete the process only after I get the SSN? Just looking to save some time since I can not purchase a car or insurance without a US license.
Anything to do with drivers' licenses will depend to some extent on the state that you're going to be in, so I'd check with that state's DMV/BMV/whatever they call it. In principle I don't see why you shouldn't be able have a driver's license without one, for what that's worth (which is nothing). But, for instance, this link says that you have to provide your SSN "if such has been assigned", which could be taken to mean that it's not required if you don't have one yet.

3. Do I have to wait for my SSN to start work or can I start as soon as I get there, and will just have to wait for SSN and a bank account to get paid?
You can work without the SSN. You may have to wait to get paid. (I did, many years ago, but I don't know if it's a universal thing.)

Last edited by zerlesen; Mar 13th 2014 at 2:44 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

After the SSN also comes the bank account, etc etc.
To clarify, you don't need a SSN to open a bank account. Policy, however, is set by the bank - so if the bank teller says no, ask to speak to the manager. By law, you need a "unique identifier" to open an account. For most people, that's a SSN... but it can also be a passport number.

My wife will need to get an EAD and this can take up to 90 days.
Correct.

I am guessing I do not need one of these?
Also correct.

Can I do my drivers license test and practical pre SSN and have them complete the process only after I get the SSN?
That will depend on the state you're in... 50 states, 50 different rules. That info should be on the state's DMV web site.

Just looking to save some time since I can not purchase a car or insurance without a US license.
You don't need a driver's license to purchase a car or get insurance. However, you won't be allowed to drive the car off the lot! But that's not actually a purchase issue!

. Do I have to wait for my SSN to start work...
No - the company can enter a dummy number until such time as you have a SSN, after which they simply update their records.

Will my wife have to wait for her EAD before she can get a SSN / Drivers license etc?
No. As an L-2 beneficiary, she doesn't need an EAD in order to get a SSN.

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: What comes after

Thanks all. That is all very clear .

Vic
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Vic, I opened a bank account with Bank of America armed with only my passport.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
..... You don't need a driver's license to purchase a car or get insurance. However, you won't be allowed to drive the car off the lot! But that's not actually a purchase issue! ...
Are you sure? A foreign license is good for a minimum of 12 days, and up to two months, depending on the state. So long as you have insurance, a current vehicle inspection certificate (which may be virtual these days), and can show good faith work towards getting a "local" DL, it is highly unlikely that you would experience a problem even if you were stopped by the police, which of itself is also unlikely.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Sweet . Thanks Superkruz, and Pulanski. I may actually try and purchase a vehicle this trip then .

Last edited by vicdupreez; Mar 14th 2014 at 4:49 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A foreign license is good for a minimum of 12 days, and up to two months, depending on the state.
You make a good point. I hadn't considered a foreign driver's license in my scenario.

Ian
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet . Thanks Superkruz, and Pulanski. I may actually try and purchase a vehicle this trip then .
Are you buying new or used? If new, try International Autosource, I financed my car through them and I can't recommend them highly enough, and they're great for expats/ immigrants with no credit history.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

I was going to go used since I was told that I need to start building credit, and that trying to buy a new car straight off the boat is really hard. What I am planning to do though is having around $10k as a deposit, and getting the rest financed, and have it paid off in the first year. Maybe I should go new... We are only planning 1 car. I will definitely check that out. Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:39 pm

I was going to go used since I was told that I need to start building credit, and that trying to buy a new car straight off the boat is really hard. What I am planning to do though is having around $10k as a deposit, and getting the rest financed, and have it paid off in the first year. Maybe I should go new... We are only planning 1 car. I will definitely check that out. Thanks
Well as soon as you send IA your SSN, your payments will be building your credit score. You should be OK with a much smaller down payment than $10k, but you do have to sign up, and make the down payment before you leave the UK.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Just found an interesting bit on the CA DMV website:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffdl08.htm

It states that you can start a non commercial drivers license without the SSN and they will finish it after they confirm your eligibility.

Here is the paragraph. It is talking about people who can not get a SSN. I am hoping they have a local way of dealing with people new to the country, but has not yet been there 10 days to get the SSN.

If you are legally present in the U.S., but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from the DMV SSN requirement. You may start an application for a noncommercial driver license or ID card, and once your eligibility status is verified, DMV will complete your application. You must still provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document for any future DL/ID card application or provide a valid SSN. You may not start an original CDL A, B, or C application until DMV visually verifies your SSN.

Vic
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure? A foreign license is good for a minimum of 12 days, and up to two months, depending on the state. So long as you have insurance, a current vehicle inspection certificate (which may be virtual these days), and can show good faith work towards getting a "local" DL, it is highly unlikely that you would experience a problem even if you were stopped by the police, which of itself is also unlikely.
I had car insurance on my UK driving license from January 2013 until I got a TN license in Aug 2013. The insurer gave me 3 months to get a state license and then extended it. Bought a car and drove it legally in this way for 7-8 months
Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shezi59
I had car insurance on my UK driving license from January 2013 until I got a TN license in Aug 2013. The insurer gave me 3 months to get a state license and then extended it. Bought a car and drove it legally in this way for 7-8 months
May I ask why it took 7-8 months for you to be issued with a TN license; did you experience a problem in applying for one?
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask why it took 7-8 months for you to be issued with a TN license; did you experience a problem in applying for one?
No I just put off doing the road test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.