news:[email protected]...
    > after more than 20 years of this. And since this is a board for people
    > trying to get into this country I want to make sure any potential
    > immigrant who might bring a lot of racist baggage (or be open to that
    > which they will find here waiting for them) avoids it in the future
    > coming in the door.

In the past month or so, two different major surveys of the American people
were released dealing with the issues of race, and the issues of
homosexuality. They broke down the answers/opinions by age groups.

I came to a simple conclusion: people don't change. You develop an opinion
as a young adult, and you keep it your entire life. The same people who
disapproved of interracial marriage 40 years ago, disagree with it today.
Same with homosexual marriages/relationships. The only reason the
*country's* opinions change over time is because the bigots get old and die,
and the young people develop different thinking than their parents. I found
it heartening that among the newest adults, 18-26, their viewpoints on race
and homosexuals are extremely tolerant, which I personally believe bodes
well for the future integration of this country's population.

Paulgani

Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well, The Good News.....

Originally posted by Ranjini
This is too funny. Looks like we are all getting our lines crossed here. Sorry Rete.
I'll say no more.
I neither agree nor disagree with anything Dekka says. It is not my issue. Suffice it to say, that I do not fall into any one of the categories she mentions and do not wish to be in the line of fire. So I'm out of here. I think I can see the kind of mood she is in and I truly sympathise. Women are after all emotional creatures
Why is it when a woman has a strong opinion she is immediately tagged as "emotional" or in a "mood"?

DA's husband came away with the same impression that she did about this particular woman. Was he just in a "mood"? Maybe he was experiencing "PMS", or is going through "the change".

This is the sort of claptrap I would expect from a man. But, in all fairness, most men know better.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:44 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
<snip> watched this board the entirety of the time I've been here and the fact that you have remained silent at some of the highly racist discussions that have taken place on the various forums in BE from time to time, yet deign from on high to lecture me about this in this context says a lot. I will take it for what it appears to be and - again, you may feel free to ignore me. But my experience is my experience, my anger and pain and sadness over this particular issue has been at the hands of the source source I identified, and I won't take back anything that I said about what I think people who come here with that crap need to do. Deal with it.
Racism is something that doesn't bother me. I personally think that thinking that someone is beneath you because they are of different race, colour or creed is generally something personal. It's a personal viewpoint. And it's perhaps also because I think that all human being are created equal.
I avoid hanging out with any particular ethnic groups as a rule. I do hang out with my husband's family and friends (who are incidentally white) and have never felt excluded so why should I let it bother me? And I refuse to let anyone influence my way of thinking. You yourself have agreed that not everyone is bigot. And I think I am not.
Having said that, I did notice that during our travels in California that things are somewhat different over there than here in Spokane, WA, in that people tend to hang out within their own ethnic groups and even live in neighbourhoods in which their own ethnic groups live.
Yes, you are right. I do not join in discussions related to racism. Because I think that people who initiate such discussions tend to be bigots themselves and do not represent any particular race but are for the most part merely displaying their own prejudices and ignorance as individuals....
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Leslie66
Why is it when a woman has a strong opinion she is immediately tagged as "emotional" or in a "mood"?

DA's husband came away with the same impression that she did about this particular woman. Was he just in a "mood"? Maybe he was experiencing "PMS", or is going through "the change".

This is the sort of claptrap I would expect from a man. But, in all fairness, most men know better.
In this context, I expect it from people who cannot see beyond their own experience into someone else's and therefore conclude that just because they personally do not feel the effects of something it is not important, such that those who report honestly what has occurred with legitimate rage are being themselves "racist" "oversensitive" and "in a mood". It is a common tactic in this country when discussions of race come up, used by people that are not personally affected by the ongoing now hundreds of years-old anti-Black racism.

I am sadly used to it.

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Apr 20th 2004 at 3:28 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Racism is something that doesn't bother me.
Yes, that seemed clear, but thanks for spelling it out anyhow.

I avoid hanging out with any particular ethnic groups as a rule. I do hang out with my husband's family and friends (who are incidentally white) and have never felt excluded so why should I let it bother me?
If you don't know the answer to that question, then I truly feel sorry for you. Perhaps you should hang out with a broader base of people.

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Apr 20th 2004 at 3:29 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:30 pm
Banned

Have you ever read John Gray's "Men are from Mars Women are from Venus"? He says, and I agree, that women and men are different because they operate in two different ways. Women react with their emotions, whereas men tend to be more logical. Just think about it. If one is able to accept this basic fact, one is able to understand a lot of things within a relationship between a man and a woman.
To me, it opened up a whole new way of thinking. I base my statement about emotions and moods on what I have read about this.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Is that we were not denied outright.

Yes, we had our AOS intereview today.

And at the present time, I have a husband who is trying to understand the linguistic difference between "arrogant, lazy bureaucrat" and American. Not to mention that I myself have had enough of all things related to immigration. And of people from a certain racial group assuming that all Black women's children must be illegitimate or have different fathers.

I'm on my way to an arbitration now, but here are the highlights and if folks want I can post more details:

1) Our interview lasted about 1/2 hour.

2) We had everything she (Officer Hongshu, I think - I have her name written down but can't swear that's right) asked for in terms of documents and evidence of bona fide relationship. At least, that's what she said.

3) Derek, as anyone who knows him understands, had a very hard time on specific dates. He had months and years (except for getting 2001 confused with 2002 repeatedly) down pat - but specific dates were less and less easy the more and more stressed he got. He even flubbed my birthday date, which is his passcode for his ATM cards and thus about as known to him as a date ever is going to get.

4) When being told we weren't getting a stamp today, in response to the question of what was wrong we were told first that she needed to get his medical records from when he entered at POE, which weren't with his file on her desk but were confirmed as in the building "somewhere" since they showed up on the computer system (we had his vaccination supplement and gave that to her). When I then asked her approximately how long it would take, she then told us that she needed to review his original I-129F application because it wasn't in the file (but refused the copy of it that I had with me, despite our interview letter *specifically* telling us to bring a copy just in case the file had to be recreated so that we could avoid having to wait).

5) At one point in the interview I was asked how many illegitimate children we had. No I didn't mishear it, because after I told her that I had no illegitimate children but had three children from my first marriage, she then asked me if we had any other "children out of wedlock" that we hadn't told her about, only to then proceed and ask if they all had the same father.

What follows below is a vent based on race. I accept that it is inappropriate generally, but I have had it on this subject after more than 20 years of this. And since this is a board for people trying to get into this country I want to make sure any potential immigrant who might bring a lot of racist baggage (or be open to that which they will find here waiting for them) avoids it in the future coming in the door.

In 21 years of motherhood I have only been asked about the legitimacy of my children three times - and all by Asians who were immigrants to this country (I have friends that this has happened to as well- and all at the hands of the same group). To ask the question at all, which is highly irrelevant to Derek's immigration status, takes a certain amount of foolish nerve and a set of assumptions about Black women and their children. I might be more patient with this rank ignorance but for the fact that I have also been subjected twice to the same group asking me if the reason I got married when I was 19 was because I was knocked up. (RANT PART - DO NOT READ IF EASILY OFFENDED. I am FED UP WITH THIS - so if you are indeed reading this and you are an Asian immigrant keep your racist unthinking IGNORANT ANTI-BLACK STEREOTYPES IN YOUR OWN DAMNED COUNTRY OR STAY HOME, BUT DO NOT COME HERE AND SUBJECT ME TO THEM - because it is only a Christian upbringing that keeps me and my friends from responding in the highly physical manner that you and your false assumptions about the whorishness of Black women deserve).

No I didn't give her the royal cussing out she deserved. I took a deep breath and answered the question. Both times. But if the look on my face had been translatable, I'm sure that Officer Hongshu is probably concerned about going to the parking lot for lunch.

6) The officer wanted to know why we took "so long after deciding we were in love before beginning the process of bringing him here to get married" (the gap was between 2000 when we fell in love to the end of 2001 when we got engaged to mid-late 2002 when our divorces were final). Now, setting aside the fact that I was told it was always a GOOD thing to take your time to marry after you fall in love, the question seemed diametrically opposed to what to me is the more legitimate concern for an officer trying to snuff out fraud - folks rushing to get married sight unseen to an immigrant. When we told her the truth (we were still legally married to other people, we took marriage seriously and thus when we realized that felt more than just a friendship we went back and spent the next year trying to save our existing marriages rather than be serial monogamists in the current fashion and just throw out the old for the new) she looked notably judgmental and disbelieving. Oh yeah, she didn't seem to care much for the fact that we met in Everquest, either.

6) There's lots more. She managed to get in a lot of offense and stupidity in 1/2 hour. And on our letter, she did not check that any part of his file was missing - she just checked "Further Review" and told us that she'd "try to get around to finishing this month".

Anyhow, no green card. Frankly, my theory is that her prejudiced, ignorant self couldn't grok having a roly-polly, older, and frankly rather plain Black woman sitting in front of her married to a clearly younger, quite handsome, White man who she met on the Internet nearly 5 years ago. Derek's hands were shaking afterward and he is currently both beating himself up about being "stupid" because he cannot remember dates (he has never been able to do so) and venting (and you haven't lived until you have seen an Aussie vent - even sober ) about what he perceived as a highly intrusive, highly judgmental experience that was a complete waste of our time (as well as the $28 to park our car for 2 hours).

We have decided that we are not subjecting ourselves to anything else. She said she didn't need anything else other than her own personal copy of the I-129F and his sealed medical, so we will sit and wait. And yes, for me I am finally beginning to see why Derek has repeatedly said that but for me, he'd gladly abandon this country. I'm about ready to do the same. I even have all the paperwork from when we were considering it a few months ago. I have given too much to this country to go through this crap.

I'm happy that the government is really doing it's job to discern legitimate, love based relationships from green card scammers. You just have no idea how reassured I am. Honest.

Off to arbitration now. Hope all is well with everyone.
What a bloody nightmare, this is just unbelievable. I whish you would not let this discourage you and please do not leave your country because every fight is a small step for future generations.

Since I have moved here I have seen a new form of racism which just baffles me and people who are just born blind and claim it does not exist.

I see it on the TV and everywhere else, this is just a joke and what makes it worse is that you are a well educated Lawyers as well. What an insult.

Please keep up the fight and do not let anyone tell you different you have the right it is your country too.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

No. I don't read feel-good self-help fluff. I especially don't need to read a book, written by a man, in order to understand that men and women process information differently.

Have you ever read John Gray's "Men are from Mars Women are from Venus"? He says, and I agree, that women and men are different because they operate in two different ways. Women react with their emotions, whereas men tend to be more logical. Just think about it. If one is able to accept this basic fact, one is able to understand a lot of things within a relationship between a man and a woman.
To me, it opened up a whole new way of thinking. I base my statement about emotions and moods on what I have read about this.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Paul Gani
"Dekka's Angel" <member8849@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > after more than 20 years of this. And since this is a board for people
    > trying to get into this country I want to make sure any potential
    > immigrant who might bring a lot of racist baggage (or be open to that
    > which they will find here waiting for them) avoids it in the future
    > coming in the door.

In the past month or so, two different major surveys of the American people
were released dealing with the issues of race, and the issues of
homosexuality. They broke down the answers/opinions by age groups.

I came to a simple conclusion: people don't change. You develop an opinion
as a young adult, and you keep it your entire life. The same people who
disapproved of interracial marriage 40 years ago, disagree with it today.
Same with homosexual marriages/relationships. The only reason the
*country's* opinions change over time is because the bigots get old and die,
and the young people develop different thinking than their parents. I found
it heartening that among the newest adults, 18-26, their viewpoints on race
and homosexuals are extremely tolerant, which I personally believe bodes
well for the future integration of this country's population.

Paulgani
No No No I do disagree with you people do change, if not we would not have minority CEO's of top 500 fortune companies etc.

Last edited by veryfunny; Apr 20th 2004 at 4:35 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

No. I don't read feel-good self-help fluff. I especially don't need to read a book, written by a man, in order to understand that men and women process information differently.
Actually, the far better ("better" = more scholarly and written by someone who has actual degrees in the subject from a legitimate university as opposed to a pop psychologist with a Ph.D from an unaccredited school) work on gendered differences in communication and reaction to communication is a book called "You Just Don't Understand" by a linguist named Deborah Tannen.

Even if she'd been a man, I'd highly recommend this book to anyone.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:01 pm
WTF?

In this context, I expect it from people who cannot see beyond their own experience into someone else's and therefore conclude that just because they personally do not feel the effects of something it is not important, such that those who report honestly what has occurred with legitimate rage are being themselves "racist" "oversensitive" and "in a mood". It is a common tactic in this country when discussions of race come up, used by people that are not personally affected by the ongoing now hundreds of years-old anti-Black racism.

I am sadly used to it.
Excellent observation.

I am conditioned to hearing it (though rarely) from men who are attempting to discount my opinion when I feel strongly about something.

To be perfectly honest, this is the first time I have ever seen this tactic used on a woman by a woman. Pathetic.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:05 pm
Banned

Yes, that seemed clear, but thanks for spelling it out anyhow.

If you don't know the answer to that question, then I truly feel sorry for you. Perhaps you should hang out with a broader base of people.
Beyond what I have read on the subject, I have to admit that my knowledge about racism is pretty limited. Other than that, I can and do understand that it can happen.
Among the white people I know, if I were to ask the question are you anti-black, I am sure I would get different answers based on pesonal experiences with such. My husband tells a story of how he went into the Army with a friend whom he has known all his life and incidentally black. He tells of how he hung out with his friend and other blacks and of how when push came to shove, his friend took the side of his recent black friends against him. It is obvious that he was very hurt by this incident and decided to be more careful of how he chose his friends from then on. Make what you like of this story Dekka. I am only relating what was told to me, when I asked my husband how he, who is fair minded about most things, came about his prejudice. I am trying to understand this problem from your view point. I must mention that I did tell him that he should not let the actions of one individual influence his thinking about others of the same race.
All I can surmise is that these problems are too deep-rooted to be eradicated that easily in the foreseable future. Like Paulgani says, the only hope is that the younger generation will grow up with attitudes different from their parents.
My son will marry and raise a family in this country. These winds of change that paulgani hopes for are as important to me, as they are to you.
Best regards,
Ranjini
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:23 pm
WTF?

What does that have to do with the price of beans?

My archenemy in the eighth grade was an African American girl named Lisa. She was a treacherous backstabbing wench and we hated each other with every fiber of our beings. Truthfully, I still despise her to this day.

Nevertheless, she rates pretty low on my list of people who have screwed me over in life.

Justifying your own bigotry (or your husband's) by judging an entire race on the action of one (probably emotionally immature) member of that race is beyond childish. BTW, it is also what you were scolding DA for a few posts back.

My husband tells a story of how he went into the Army with a friend whom he has known all his life and incidentally black. He tells of how he hung out with his friend and other blacks and of how when push came to shove, his friend took the side of his recent black friends against him. It is obvious that he was very hurt by this incident and decided to be more careful of how he chose his friends from then on. Ranjini
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent observation.

I am conditioned to hearing it (though rarely) from men who are attempting to discount my opinion when I feel strongly about something.

To be perfectly honest, this is the first time I have ever seen this tactic used on a woman by a woman. Pathetic.

Well you can add one other woman to your list of pathetic women. I use that argument frequently when attempting to deal with a female attorney who can be pleasant one moment and within an hour become the Wicked Witch who I want to throw water on to evaporate her. I often chalk her moods up to PMS and/or not having gotten any in a while.

Rete

PS I have also read Women Are from Venus and Men are From Mars. And yes, I like fluff reading at most times. Prefer that form of escapism over tv reality shows.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Racially loaded statements like...

"if you are indeed reading this and you are an Asian immigrant keep your racist unthinking IGNORANT ANTI-BLACK STEREOTYPES IN YOUR OWN DAMNED COUNTRY OR STAY HOME, BUT DO NOT COME HERE AND SUBJECT ME TO THEM - "

Would that be a good example?

It seems to me that DA is guilty of exactly the same behavior that she find's so offensive. I find that curious. I know a few Asian immigrants that don't hold the opinion that she espouses.

I understand what you are saying as well, Matt. Because I am aware of how people of her race have been historically treated. It's natural to be offended if one did not realise why the questions were asked. To be quite truthful, I was never asked questions of this nature.
What I am saying is that one should restrain one's self when making such racially loaded statements. Just making a statement of token protest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.