Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

We seem to have visa options - please advise!

We seem to have visa options - please advise!

Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Fluffylilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We seem to have visa options - please advise!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Suit your needs? Are you happy to return to the UK in due course? (you don't normally get a green card that way ... not impossible, but relatively few E1/E2 visa holders manage to get one).
That's worth knowing! Thank you!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Fluffylilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
What does an E1 give you that an L1 doesn't?

If your circumstances make an L1 feasible, why would you opt for a restrictive and undevelopable E1 instead?

Personally, I couldn't really give a stuff either way, just curious, having personal experience of running a business under both.
Hate to be typically British and direct but...please feel free to share your experiences rather than arguing with me...I asked for Advice after all. If you don't want to give it then that's fine but stop teasing...
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluffylilly
Hate to be typically British and direct but...please feel free to share your experiences rather than arguing with me...I asked for Advice after all. If you don't want to give it then that's fine but stop teasing...
You are the one who needs the information; I feel you should be more forthcoming. You said that the E visa suited your needs better than the L visa, why do you think so? That POV (E is better than L) is unusual in our group experience, so please share.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluffylilly
I assure you that I am not arguing with you. In fairness, you asked for advice and someone on here gave it to you (suggesting L1 visa as your vehicle). You replied by saying his advice was 'off the mark'. If you feel you can achieve what you desire with an E1, then fine. But you also state that you may qualify for an L1 (I'm not so sure, having read some of your subsequent posts) - but an L1 presents a lot more in terms of flexibility and developability than an E1 does.
With respect, if you want workable advice and to share the experience of others who have been through what you are contemplating, you need to be a little more forthcoming with details of what your business is, (particularly how and with who it will continue to function in the UK as a trading entity). You state that you would run it from the US - which would exclude both L and E options.
We are not mind-readers, nor are particularly keen to participate in a guessing game that could turn out to be nothing more than an "If only" fantasy on your part.
If you can't or won't supplement your inquiry with some substance, you're not going to get anything valuable back.
Make sense?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how a L could be wangled.

An E seems the only option but you need to have some serious conversations with Lawyers.

There may be no options.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:06 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure how a L could be wangled.

An E seems the only option but you need to have some serious conversations with Lawyers.

There may be no options.
if they were employed by the business for a year then they could do the intra transfer ( ie trad L1 not start up L1)
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MsElui
if they were employed by the business for a year then they could do the intra transfer ( ie trad L1 not start up L1)
Only 6 full time plus part-time and consultants; we would be taking me (MD/Designer) Hubby (FD) Jo, our Accounts Manager and Paul our Marketing Manager. this being our management team.

Can not see them buying this.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point

And for L1 the UK business needs to continue trading for the continuation of the L1 Visa and I dont think running it from US will qualify!! Therefore, I feel L1 will be OUT and hence thats why they are talking about E which may make sense!

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

With an E1 - the treaty trader partner has to be a going concern too. I suspect the UK company is said TT partner....