Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

We contacted our congressman about being overdue

Wikiposts

We contacted our congressman about being overdue

Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:46 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default We contacted our congressman about being overdue

Just thought i'd let everyone know we contacted our congressmans office today about our case being overdue through NSC.

Some may say 30 + days after 180 would be overdue, but here I sit at 184 almost 185 with no news. So we've decided to take this step.

Anyway a representive of the congressman assured us once we sent them the info, and approval for them to make enquirys on our behalf they would let us know whats going on within 2 days.

My fiancee's mum is faxing over the letter and info I prepared under Angie's name. I'm glad we went this option, because whether the news is good or bad at least we'll know whats going on.

We found our congressman details through this website:

http://www.congress.org

If anyone else is waiting and worrying, I suggest you do the same. SG thank Mr pink for posting his letter it really was a great help in formulating mine.

James
Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:52 am
won't be long now!

SidAngelika is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We contacted our congressman about being overdue

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Just thought i'd let everyone know we contacted our congressmans office today about our case being overdue through NSC.

Some may say 30 + days after 180 would be overdue, but here I sit at 184 almost 185 with no news. So we've decided to take this step.

Anyway a representive of the congressman assured us once we sent them the info, and approval for them to make enquirys on our behalf they would let us know whats going on within 2 days.

My fiancee's mum is faxing over the letter and info I prepared under Angie's name. I'm glad we went this option, because whether the news is good or bad at least we'll know whats going on.

We found our congressman details through this website:

http://www.congress.org

If anyone else is waiting and worrying, I suggest you do the same. SG thank Mr pink for posting his letter it really was a great help in formulating mine.

James
Just our 2 cents....
You might get your senators help too. The email inquiry of our congress man had not been answered by MSC (at least not to our knowledge...), but my US husband's senator talked to (one of)the supervisor(s) at MSC...it may be argueable if this finally led to a decision on our case, but 10 days later we were approved. Just trying to help with our experience.
Good luck!
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:12 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Some may say 30 + days after 180 would be overdue
You won't find me saying that, James (as that is just plain wrong). Instead you will find me once again telling the group that the 180 days language written on the receipt notice is meaningless. USCIS HQ, not the NSC decided 150 to 180 days should be written on the notice, and I have a good hunch that the boilerplate language containing that language comes "preprinted" on blank notices from the Department of Printing and Engraving. I do know that I've been told, while touring the CSC, that the service centers don't come up with those figures, that they are not binding or promises by the Service Center, and that they have no ability/authority/permission to change that language on their notices (again, that decision is up to USCIS HQ, not a service center).

This is exactly why they decided to come up with an alternative system whereby they can let the public know where they are as far as processing cases go. These are the bi-monthly reports, and they even post them on their own site now (and the reports also contain language telling you how to use the reports).

It was just this very last NSC report, as of 03/01/04, that shows they have finally moved past your notice date of 09/08/03. That means (assuming your case did not receive an IBIS hit) that you would add 30 business days onto 03/01/04 to calculate your overdue date. I'll let you do that with your own calendar, but the fact is your case is not yet overdue and you have contacted your rep prematurely.

Just curious, I've seen your name and postings on the group for a while now. Is this the first time you've read my reports about how to use the Service Center reports to determine an overdue date?

The latest report says your case is now with an officer, and that report came out 10 days ago. Odds are your case is due to be approved any day now, whether or not you contact a rep. And I find that just about the time a person becomes "unglued", that is about the time their case gets approved as per the reports, and is about the time the person contacts their rep. Then the inaccurate conclusion is always made that contacting the rep somehow helped.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Mar 10th 2004 at 10:15 am.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute

SG thank Mr pink for posting his letter it really was a great help in formulating mine.
Actually it was SecretGarden's letter all the time, I merely posted it on her behalf as her computer was too sick to post anything at the time. She composed this letter just at the point when we were becoming somewhat frazzled with the whole waiting experience, but we didn't mail it as at the time we were not yet overdue (see Matt Udall's detailed instructions as to how to calculate the overdue date).

Anyway within a day or so we were approved officially, and now I am sitting beside her as I type this, ever so married! I have no doubt that you will be receiving your approval note before the senator receives your letter, so hang in there because you're very close and it's about to get very busy!!

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~Happy me!
Old Mar 10th 2004, 1:19 pm
Bajamark

"mcjimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Just thought i'd let everyone know we contacted our congressmans office
    > today about our case being overdue through NSC.
    > Some may say 30 + days
    > after 180 would be overdue, but here I sit at 184 almost 185 with no
    > news. So we've decided to take this step.
    > Anyway a representive of the
    > congressman assured us once we sent them the info, and approval for them
    > to make enquirys on our behalf they would let us know whats going on
    > within 2 days.

Ya know what?.........Good on you!

Forget what the lawyer says, (can you say agenda?)..... It's hard to compete
with free.

My congressman pulled me out of a tough situation with a couple of phone
calls and a fax...... all for the cost of a vote and a gift certificate to
Red Lobster.

Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:38 pm
dave w

there was another case from nsc in this forum that had a fraud review and they had to wait an extra month. Hopefully this isn't what has happened to you. Your congress person can let you know if that is what is causing the delay.

Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:24 am

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
You won't find me saying that, James (as that is just plain wrong). Instead you will find me once again telling the group that the 180 days language written on the receipt notice is meaningless. USCIS HQ, not the NSC decided 150 to 180 days should be written on the notice, and I have a good hunch that the boilerplate language containing that language comes "preprinted" on blank notices from the Department of Printing and Engraving. I do know that I've been told, while touring the CSC, that the service centers don't come up with those figures, that they are not binding or promises by the Service Center, and that they have no ability/authority/permission to change that language on their notices (again, that decision is up to USCIS HQ, not a service center).

This is exactly why they decided to come up with an alternative system whereby they can let the public know where they are as far as processing cases go. These are the bi-monthly reports, and they even post them on their own site now (and the reports also contain language telling you how to use the reports).

It was just this very last NSC report, as of 03/01/04, that shows they have finally moved past your notice date of 09/08/03. That means (assuming your case did not receive an IBIS hit) that you would add 30 business days onto 03/01/04 to calculate your overdue date. I'll let you do that with your own calendar, but the fact is your case is not yet overdue and you have contacted your rep prematurely.

Just curious, I've seen your name and postings on the group for a while now. Is this the first time you've read my reports about how to use the Service Center reports to determine an overdue date?

The latest report says your case is now with an officer, and that report came out 10 days ago. Odds are your case is due to be approved any day now, whether or not you contact a rep. And I find that just about the time a person becomes "unglued", that is about the time their case gets approved as per the reports, and is about the time the person contacts their rep. Then the inaccurate conclusion is always made that contacting the rep somehow helped.
Matt thanks for your reply.

I have read some of your threads before in doing an actual calculation etc. But you know what I simply can't afford to sit around and wait.

We have booked and paid for the wedding, so the date is set. I need to be there July 10th, K1 visa or not. My fiancee is graduating from university on May 23rd and I really want to be there on her big day more than anything (if possible). This is the reason why i'm getting anxious.

I completely understand your point. The fact is others are getting approved before and after me. So I want to know why i'm not. It could be that i'm at the bottom of some case officers file, or an RFE or an IBIS or whatever. I just need to know something, 6 months of waiting without a word is a long time. That is why we've taken this action.

Hope you understand the human side of this!

James
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:32 am

Originally posted by mrpink
Actually it was SecretGarden's letter all the time, I merely posted it on her behalf as her computer was too sick to post anything at the time. She composed this letter just at the point when we were becoming somewhat frazzled with the whole waiting experience, but we didn't mail it as at the time we were not yet overdue (see Matt Udall's detailed instructions as to how to calculate the overdue date).

Anyway within a day or so we were approved officially, and now I am sitting beside her as I type this, ever so married! I have no doubt that you will be receiving your approval note before the senator receives your letter, so hang in there because you're very close and it's about to get very busy!!

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~Happy me!
Mr Pink,

Thanks for filling me in on that. SG already knows how much I appreciate all her help and advice! So thanks again to you.

Lets hope your right about the approval before the senator I sure hope so. Just checked before and no word on day 185, then again its still 7.30am in the States so that figures.

James
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

[i], and now I am sitting beside her as I type this, ever so married! I
Well!!! tell her to get back in that kitchen and get your dinner ready...know your place women ....
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:12 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

good for you..

everyone here is so quick to say.. do this and do that..

so do whatever YOU need to do..

180 days is just too long..

you may very well be in that "to do" pile today.. but maybe not.. can't hurt to look into it..

ya know, this may be a board to go to for help filling out the forms, but I think its a lot more then that.. people come here for guidance, support, and a shoulder to cry on at times..and sometimes just to read some good news, to take your mind off your own troubles maybe.. or to relate to someone going thru the same thing.

I think we are all human and offering some friendly advice and support doesnt take too much. and it is appreciated..

times are tough right now, on a lot of people..

would be nice to see those.. "are you stupid" or "havent you listenned to a thing I have said" posts diminish..

maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part.. I know its not all nice nice, but I have read some nasty stuff on here lately.. and I just dont think its called for.. not so much in this post, but others..

I know, the truth hurts..and maybe some people know more then others and we shouldn't "waste our time" doing this or that..

but ya never know.. all those things we do just might pay off .. today..

thanks and have a good day.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bajamark
"
Ya know what?.........Good on you!

Forget what the lawyer says, (can you say agenda?)..... It's hard to compete
with free.

My congressman pulled me out of a tough situation with a couple of phone
calls and a fax...... all for the cost of a vote and a gift certificate to
Red Lobster.

LOL Good for you ;-)

So you gave your congressman a gift certificate to Red Lobster? Wow that is impressive ;-)

We also used the services of our congressperson's immigration liaison and he was quite helpful and the Congressional Unit at Fed Plaza, NYC were very informative in explaining exactly what happened to our case.

We thought, however, that a letter to the congressperson praising her liaison was the appropriate way to go.

BTW for Sid, our Senator's are WORTHLESS. But then what do you expect from a Clinton or Schumer. You will find that most Senators don't assist but congressional reps do. Why? My theory is because they are up for re-election more frequently and also because their geographical area of representation allows them closer contact with their constituency.

Bet you only got any type of feedback from your Senator because of your using a politically affiliated friend to pull strings.

Rete
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:38 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

SA,

Typically a Senator or Representative will not want to get involved if another Senator or Representative is already pursuing an inquiry, and they will often ask if this is the case. Duplication of effort wastes their time, it wastes the Service's time, and it does not provide any benefit to the constituent.

Some Senators and Representatives are more interested, or have more efffective staff, in the area of immigration than others. It helps to research one's congress people first, before selecting the one to approach for assistance.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by SidAngelika
Just our 2 cents....
You might get your senators help too. The email inquiry of our congress man had not been answered by MSC (at least not to our knowledge...), but my US husband's senator talked to (one of)the supervisor(s) at MSC...it may be argueable if this finally led to a decision on our case, but 10 days later we were approved. Just trying to help with our experience.
Good luck!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:39 am

Originally posted by souls canuck
good for you..

everyone here is so quick to say.. do this and do that..

so do whatever YOU need to do..

180 days is just too long..

you may very well be in that "to do" pile today.. but maybe not.. can't hurt to look into it..

ya know, this may be a board to go to for help filling out the forms, but I think its a lot more then that.. people come here for guidance, support, and a shoulder to cry on at times..and sometimes just to read some good news, to take your mind off your own troubles maybe.. or to relate to someone going thru the same thing.

I think we are all human and offering some friendly advice and support doesnt take too much. and it is appreciated..

times are tough right now, on a lot of people..

would be nice to see those.. "are you stupid" or "havent you listenned to a thing I have said" posts diminish..

maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part.. I know its not all nice nice, but I have read some nasty stuff on here lately.. and I just dont think its called for.. not so much in this post, but others..

I know, the truth hurts..and maybe some people know more then others and we shouldn't "waste our time" doing this or that..

but ya never know.. all those things we do just might pay off .. today..

thanks and have a good day.
We are on the same wave length! Thanks for your post
Old Mar 11th 2004, 7:17 am
Exile

"souls canuck" wrote:
    > I think we are all human and offering some friendly advice and
    > support doesnt take too much. and it is appreciated..
    > times are tough
    > right now, on a lot of people..
    > would be nice to see those.. "are you
    > stupid" or "havent you listenned to a thing I have said" posts
    > diminish..

Good point, well made.
I appreciate the cyber hugs and the advice

It's worth pointing out to those viewing posts on threaded message boards
etc. that there are several ways of viewing the same posts. Those of us who
are receiving the messages through the newsgroup have to wade through around
350+ posts each night and so losing some of the chaff would be greatly
appreciated. I've no idea who the Cisco Kid is, but the posts berating him
are the second most annoying thing I see. The top of the list being those
that post comments like the ones you highlighted above.

All the best,

Andy

Old Mar 11th 2004, 8:30 am
MDUdall

Matt thanks for your
reply.

I have read some of your threads before in doing an actual
calculation etc. But you know what I simply can't afford to sit around
and wait.

We have booked and paid for the wedding, so the date is set.
I need to be there July 10th, K1 visa or not. My fiancee is graduating
from university on May 23rd and I really want to be there on her big day
more than anything (if possible). This is the reason why i'm getting
anxious.

> Well, I hope you can get the visa in time.

I completely understand your point. The fact is others are
getting approved before and after me. So I want to know why i'm not. It
could be that i'm at the bottom of some case officers file, or an RFE or
an IBIS or whatever. I just need to know something, 6 months of waiting
without a word is a long time. That is why we've taken this action.

> You do know something by using the bi-monthly reports. You now know that as
per the last report (which came out 11 days ago), your case is likely with an
officer for final processing (I say likely due to the IBIS wrinkle), and you
know your case is not yet overdue. If others who filed around the same time as
you are getting processed now, that just reinforces that the bi-monthly report
is accurate, and that your particular case, barring an IBIS hit or USCIS screw
up (and there is nothing to suggest either of these two things have happened)
should be approved any day now.

Hope you understand the human side of this!

> I do, and I hope the visa is issued in time to meet your schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.